worker who died after fall. identified as Michigan operator

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

worker who died after fall. identified as Michigan operator

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Railroad worker who died after fall from Jacksonville trestle identified as Michigan operator
Posted: February 15, 2012 - 8:31am | Updated: February 15, 2012 - 10:13am
By Dana Treen

A worker who fell from a Jacksonville train trestle below the Acosta Bridge Tuesday was a 42-year-old boom truck operator from Michigan, his employer said.

Peter Jerome Michnick was working for Osmose Railroad Services doing bridge repairs on the trestle bridge when he apparently fell and struck his head. Police released his name this morning.

He was on the bed of a large boom truck used to lift bridge cross-members on the last day of the project, company President Harry Holekamp said. It is the second year the company has worked on the bridge.

Holekamp said none of the five other crew members working on the job saw their co-worker fall.

"They heard a thump," Holekamp said. Police said Michnick hit his head before falling into the St. Johns River and disappearing beneath the surface for about five minutes.

Michnick and two workers who followed him into the water to attempt a rescue were picked up by a boater and taken to a nearby dock. Michnick was pronounced dead at Shands Jacksonville.

"We're very distraught here," Holekamp said from the company offices in Wisconsin.

He said Michnick had been with the company for about a year and was a good employee. He was married and lived in Carney, Mich.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2012 ... z1mTXJj6MH
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Re: worker who died after fall. identified as Michigan opera

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Sad to hear about this unfortunate incident. Every human life is worth much more than a driven pile for a bridge, or a tamped tie along the track. Without knowing anymore about the circumstances surrounding this tragic event, right now all I can do is offer my condolences to the families involved. I,m sure in the weeks to come, we will know more about what led up to this terrible event. My thoughts tonight are with Peters family and friends.. :cry:
Todd

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

According to the Progressive Railroading article I read the accident happened within view of the CSX head quarters.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Pretty sure the OSHA requirements are for an industrial style Coast Guard life jacket in this type of situation. Those are the ones with a full big collar to keep you face up when you are unconscious. They are kinda a pain to wear but........... When our crew works over water, they are not always required to be tied off depending on the equipment but the life jacket is mandatory even when the water is only a couple feet deep :lol:

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Generally, when bridge workers work 12 feet or more above the ground or water surface, FRA regulations require that a personal fall arrest system or safety net system be provided and used.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e