Burn out

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Burn out

Unread post by MP73point4 »

I know these pictures have been floating around for years but I came across them again recently and couldn't resist posting again. Not sure where they were taken or by who.
I'll bet this would have been a sight to see while it was happening.
ImageImage
RR Pass Collector

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Burn out

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like MAW's tracks :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Nah, can't be MAW...there's ballast and ties :lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

csxt4617 wrote:Nah, can't be MAW...there's ballast and ties :lol:
LSRC Huron Sub maybe?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

It was on CSX from what I remember. A mother and slug (looks like 6 axles slug) were stopped. Slug didn't get the signal to stop loading, and kept loading. Steel rail is 'softer' than the steel that makes up the wheels, and that's what you get.

"Rail Burns" are pretty easy to do, so the trick is NOT doing them. From what I understand, Conrail had a 0 tolerance for engineers that caused rail burns. Burn the rail bad enough, and the only repair is replacement.

Practice Safe CSX

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Dang! :shock: After watching the steam train derailing video in the other thread, the damaged rail probably couldn't derail a train, could it?

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

I gotta tell you, The cabs bounce around pretty hard from track inperfections that are really not all that noticeable to the eye while you are running down the track. If you hit that stuff in the photo above at even 10mph, I think bad things would happen. That other video was crazy but the gap only affected one axel at a time. I in the photo above you would have the enitre locomotive dropping an inch or two and then pounding the rail. Bad Bad Bad.

Not to mention that your talking about 420,000 pounds being displaced all at once. Ok Its only one truck at a time. 210,000 going bam bam.
Mark it Zero.