Amtrak Speed Question

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak Speed Question

Unread post by Super Chief »

With the HOT weather today what would the 110 MPH speed restriction be on the Kalamazoo line due to sun kinks or other heat related problems. As I traveled today MSO was 10 MPH GDLK 3806 with 18 cars came into Three Rivers at about 5 MPH from CP 25.6 hot box detector. As a fireman with the township fire dept. (28) years and the 2nd biggest fire district in Michigan I appreciate no sparks coming out of the stacks of these locomotives but didn't know if Amtrak backs off the speed or not?

A No.1
To Portland

Re: Amtrak Speed Question

Unread post by A No.1 »

Not sure what Amtrak does. CN is restricted from 60 to 50 when it gets over 95 Degrees.

Passenger Trains on CN Trackage are restricted to 65.
Mark it Zero.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Actually the latest trains had a question like this in the Q and A. I will have to get the article in the Mormon then I can get the quotes, but I think what A No.1 said is basically har the answer to the TRAINS question was, when it gets hot they drop speed about 10mph.

I have noted this with the wolverine trains this week and the last as well.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Supposedly Rail America roads have to go 10 if it gets over 90 but I've never seen anything as to wether its true or if there's any special circumstances.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Its true, just ask AJB.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Tom
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom »

Super Chief wrote: As I traveled today MSO was 10 MPH
Usually is...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

What are the rules on the U.P and BNSF in States where it is regularly over 90?

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

milineamtrak wrote:What are the rules on the U.P and BNSF in States where it is regularly over 90?
I'm sure the System Special Instructions for each road would govern each area individually .
Mark it Zero.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

milineamtrak wrote:What are the rules on the U.P and BNSF in States where it is regularly over 90?
They probably have a higher temperature where they must slow down. Keep in mind the reason to slow has to do in large part with expansion/contraction of the rail. In areas where they don't have to worry about 0 degree temps (as they do in say MI), they can raise the lower temp, and in turn get a higher temp on the other end.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:
In areas where they don't have to worry about 0 degree temps (as they do in say MI), they can raise the lower temp, and in turn get a higher temp on the other end.
What are you talking about?

The same piece of steel would expand and contract the same in Minnesota as it does in Texas. Geographic location has no effect on how a material responds to temperature. They do their best to lay the rail at its 'mean' temperature for that area. That way the rail is in the 'middle' point of its expansion and contraction. Try laying rail outside this temp, and they need to heat or cool the rail before laying it. Don't do that, and you're setting yourself up for problems from the start. Oddly enough, CWR has helped ease the problem of sun kinks and pull aparts. Joints are the weak point of the track structure. There are a lot of forces in play when a wheel goes over a joint. Fewer joints, fewer points of failure.

In my experience, most railroads issue heat warnings when the temperature is projected to get above 90. With an air temperature of 90, the rocks will be somewhere around 110 to 120 degrees. Where you get a lot of problems is when you have a sharp contrast between high and low temperatures over a short period of time. It doesn't allow for the gradual expansion and contraction. So, 110 in the afternoon, and 60 that night is going to lead to problems. On the other side, 50's in the afternoon and down into the 20's or 10's that night and you'll get a lot of pull aparts.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
In areas where they don't have to worry about 0 degree temps (as they do in say MI), they can raise the lower temp, and in turn get a higher temp on the other end.
What are you talking about?

The same piece of steel would expand and contract the same in Minnesota as it does in Texas. Geographic location has no effect on how a material responds to temperature. They do their best to lay the rail at its 'mean' temperature for that area. That way the rail is in the 'middle' point of its expansion and contraction. Try laying rail outside this temp, and they need to heat or cool the rail before laying it. Don't do that, and you're setting yourself up for problems from the start. Oddly enough, CWR has helped ease the problem of sun kinks and pull aparts. Joints are the weak point of the track structure. There are a lot of forces in play when a wheel goes over a joint. Fewer joints, fewer points of failure.

In my experience, most railroads issue heat warnings when the temperature is projected to get above 90. With an air temperature of 90, the rocks will be somewhere around 110 to 120 degrees. Where you get a lot of problems is when you have a sharp contrast between high and low temperatures over a short period of time. It doesn't allow for the gradual expansion and contraction. So, 110 in the afternoon, and 60 that night is going to lead to problems. On the other side, 50's in the afternoon and down into the 20's or 10's that night and you'll get a lot of pull aparts.

Practice Safe CSX
I think you stated in the 1st paragraph what I was trying to say :oops:

How/When do they issue heat warnings? Do they issue them for the entire day, or just the hottest hours?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:How/When do they issue heat warnings? Do they issue them for the entire day, or just the hottest hours?
Usually issued for times when the sun is out and causing the most heat to the track structure. I don't have one in front of me, but for example between 1000 hrs and 2100 hrs. Once the sun goes down, even if its still 90 degrees air temperature, you're not having the sun heating the track structure, and it will begin to cool to match the air temperature.

Practice Safe CSX

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

It's all about the temperature of the rail., not air temp. Each RR sets it's own rules. This report is a good explanation. CWR is actually more susceptible to heat kinks than jointed rail. Neutral temperature is 95-100 degrees 8)

http://www.drpt.virginia.gov/activities ... 20Memo.pdf