Neil Armstrong Dead @ 82.

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Neil Armstrong Dead @ 82.

Unread post by Jetlink »

The story didn't have much traction at first so I was skeptical; but, it seems most news agencies are now reporting it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/ ... B020120825

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19381098
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Neil Armstrong Dead @ 82.

Unread post by J T »

One last step for a man...one giant loss for mankind.

Godspeed, Neil.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

J T wrote:One last step for a man...one giant loss for mankind.

Godspeed, Neil.
Lost of of mankind's great pioneer's today and one of my childhood heros. I second your statement JT. Godspeed Neil.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Godspeed, Neil.
Exactly.

The 1st Moon Landing is THE pinnicle of human achievement. Peroid.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I'm waiting for someone to pull a Dale Gribble and tell us all that the moon landing was fake... :lol:
Bottom text.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

MQT3001 wrote:

Godspeed, Neil.
Exactly.

Meh, Polio vaccine, plumbing, communications, electricity, the list goes on an on.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

Y@ wrote:I'm waiting for someone to pull a Dale Gribble and tell us all that the moon landing was fake... :lol:
It never happened. It was work performed by "The Beast"

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

What puzzles me, is that we never went back or persued it further. It was more like, "OK we did it. What can we do now".
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

MagnumForce
Angry Man

We realized it was a big empty rock that we had basically learned everything we could from and it was ridiculously expensive to get to.

Not really all that surprising.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MagnumForce wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

Meh, Polio vaccine, plumbing, communications, electricity, the list goes on an on.
Microwave oven should be at the top of that list. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MagnumForce wrote:We realized it was a big empty rock that we had basically learned everything we could from and it was ridiculously expensive to get to.

Not really all that surprising.
Don't forget of all the innovations derived from the space program. We spent a lot of money, but one could argue that the innovations & discoveries have generated so much wealth that it eventually has paid back much if not all of what we spent in taxes.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

MagnumForce wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

Godspeed, Neil.
Exactly.

Those are all great achievements, but the Moon landing takes many of them (communications and electricity :wink: ) and combines them together for the greatest human achievement: The Moon Landing.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

IMO, humans have done greater things than the moon landing. It's still an extraordinary feat, but like Brent said, we've done better.
Bottom text.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Y@ wrote:IMO, humans have done greater things than the moon landing. It's still an extraordinary feat, but like Brent said, we've done better.
Fine. Prove your point then. What was better?

Don't tell me I'm wrong. SHOW me I'm wrong. :wink:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I'd say the Moon Landing proves what we as a people can do in a set amount of time. If it weren't for JFK setting that goal, would we have gone? Just over 40 years ago, and we haven't gone back. Your car has more computing power than the Apollo capsule. Great achievement, yes. I'd hope its not our pinnacle of achievement, that means we couldn't do better.

I miss the show 'Connections' where it would take an ordinary event or object, and link it through history. To be honest, none of what we have would be possible if it weren't for our ability to move from hunter/gathers to an agrarian society. When you have time to devote to inventing, arts, etc only then can you advance as a race. Growing enough food to feed an entire town allowed our ancestors the time to experiment and grow.

But, we could argue about this all day. That's the problem when you say 'greatest ever' or 'best ever' its tough to make that case.

Practice Safe CSX

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MQT3001 wrote:
Y@ wrote:IMO, humans have done greater things than the moon landing. It's still an extraordinary feat, but like Brent said, we've done better.
Fine. Prove your point then. What was better?

Don't tell me I'm wrong. SHOW me I'm wrong. :wink:
I didn't say you were "wrong." But sure, I'll bite...

1. Lightbulbs.
2. Harnessing electricity. (Could be combined with #1)
3. Smartphones.
4. Various medical breakthroughs.
5. Toothpaste.
6. Deodorant.

I might be able to name a few more, but I'll stick with that.
Bottom text.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Why would you even attempt to argue with him?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:I'd say the Moon Landing proves what we as a people can do in a set amount of time. If it weren't for JFK setting that goal, would we have gone? Just over 40 years ago, and we haven't gone back. Your car has more computing power than the Apollo capsule. Great achievement, yes. I'd hope its not our pinnacle of achievement, that means we couldn't do better.

I miss the show 'Connections' where it would take an ordinary event or object, and link it through history. To be honest, none of what we have would be possible if it weren't for our ability to move from hunter/gathers to an agrarian society. When you have time to devote to inventing, arts, etc only then can you advance as a race. Growing enough food to feed an entire town allowed our ancestors the time to experiment and grow.

But, we could argue about this all day. That's the problem when you say 'greatest ever' or 'best ever' its tough to make that case.

Practice Safe CSX
Good Argument. I guess what I mean is it is a good example of what humans are capable of. Obviously we can do more now, but for the time....

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

CSX_CO wrote:I'd say the Moon Landing proves what we as a people can do in a set amount of time. If it weren't for JFK setting that goal, would we have gone? Just over 40 years ago, and we haven't gone back. Your car has more computing power than the Apollo capsule. Great achievement, yes. I'd hope its not our pinnacle of achievement, that means we couldn't do better.

Practice Safe CSX
Actually, there were 6 total manned moon landings: 7/20/69, 11/69, 2/71, 7/71, 4/72, and 12/72. It's hard to understand the gain from those landings, but maybe someday we'll be able to use that technology, which as you state, began over 40 years ago. I don't think medicine is really "advancing." The last cure for any disease was polio. We're very good at developing treatments and not cures to keep big pharma rich.
Brett

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: Don't tell me I'm wrong. SHOW me I'm wrong. :wink:
On the flip side, why don't you show us why you're right? Why the Moon Landings have been the end all, be all of Human existence?

The nice thing about philosophical arguments is that as long as you backup what you believe, there is no right or wrong answer.

Practice Safe CSX