Keystone Pipeline and Oil by Rail

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
MDH
rp.net addict

Keystone Pipeline and Oil by Rail

Unread post by MDH »

Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Keystone Pipeline and Oil by Rail

Unread post by AARR »

With coal down 10% or so from 2011 (and will probably continue to decline for at least the next four years) I am glad to see other traffic segments increasing. Chemicals, pipe and sand inbound and crude oil outbound.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I don't think we're going to see the Keystone built. Plenty of opposition as there always is on projects of this nature and too many 'wishy-washys' in Washington. The railroads already have an advantage in that they can transport the oil where it's needed and wanted. Pipelines only have one destination. The refineries in the south can't handle more crude but those in the northeast can. Rail is one step ahead in the game.

Oh, BTW, this morning I read a news article about a new procedure of extracting heat from coal without burning it. If that works on a large scale it'll be a bonanza for the mines and rails.
Norm

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

If we don't take Keystone, China will. That oil will be used...it is just a matter of who. The "green" lobby should choose to let us in the US use it, because we burn the stuff more cleanly. In China, up the stack it goes, off to cause environmental harm.

I will say no more.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

JDavis21835
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JDavis21835 »

Norm wrote:Oh, BTW, this morning I read a news article about a new procedure of extracting heat from coal without burning it. If that works on a large scale it'll be a bonanza for the mines and rails.
What is old is new again. It seems this is not much different from the old manufactured gas processes. Basically, coal is super heated, and off gases. The gas is captured, and burned. I wonder if the new process creates the same nasty by products that the old process created.