Grand Rapids area 2013 flood

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
J T
Hates Supper

Grand Rapids area 2013 flood

Unread post by J T »

They are calling it a "once in a lifetime flood"...a "100-year flood." By Sunday night, they are predicting a foot over the original record.

I went out and took some pics these evening, and plan on getting many more as the water rises over the next couple of days. I will adding them slowly as I get around to processing them.

For starters, this is by the "blue bridge" downtown (which once upon a time carried rail traffic -- for the 1% who didn't know that. haha)...sandbags are ready!

CSX over Buck Creek in Grandville.

This is the bottom of the bridge...I'd estimate the water is about 8-10 feet higher than its normal level:

For reference:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Grand Rapids area 2013 flood

Unread post by J T »

Franklin Street in Grandville. This water is from Buck Creek...over a half mile away:

Broadway Street, a few hundred yards east of Buck Creek:
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Buck Creek flows into the grand river just north of 196. The highway separates the grand from Grandville. The volume of water in the grand is backing up into the creek and the flow of the creek is trying to push the water back. Its a perfect storm for the areas around the Chicago drive /196 interchange. Water is just going every way it can...its a mess. Chicago drive is now closed, as is all of the ramps off the highway.
Just a Fat Guy

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That reference picture of the bridge really hits home how high the water has risen!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

pudgy wrote:Chicago drive is now closed, as is all of the ramps off the highway.
I managed to sneak by the barriers for the Baldwin ramps last night to get some photos. Only the westbound lanes just past the entrance to the Clean Water Plant have water in them and the eastbound lanes are free and clear. They could easily keep the east bound ramp open to 196 to ease the congestion that the detour to 44th Street is causing.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

See, no reason to close the east bound ramp to 196 for Friday rush hour traffic. I realize the water is probably going to get higher over the weekend warranting the closure, but it was premature for Friday afternoon, IMO:

Rush creek:

Reference photo:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Here's J T going to get his pictures of the flood from a unique POV Image
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

If only it were warm enough for that, Don! :lol:

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I figured JT would either get a boat, or a wetsuit and waterproof camera and swim, and take photos of the flood from trees. :mrgreen:
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Great photos JT.

Here is a live webcam from the campus of Grand Valley State University
http://148.61.146.223/view/viewer_index.shtml

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Jon Leese and I went out on Thursday and managed to get some shots of trains with the flooding.

Here's Z151 pulling over the Grand River:

And here's Y297. This view shows the water touching the bridge. Of course, it's gone up significantly since Thursday.

Last edited by LSRC on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

LSRC wrote:Jon Leese and I went out on Thursday and managed to get some shots of trains with the flooding.

Here's Z151 pulling over the Grand River:

And here's Y297. This view shows the water touching the bridge. Of course, it's gone up significantly since Thursday.

Wow! :)
Bottom text.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

From Bill Steffen's Blog, it includes the bridge in GR:
Picture is the Grand River just south of the S-Curve. Water has reached the rails. They have had a train parked on the bridge to weigh down the bridge.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Here's a few of my pictures from when Jim and I were out Thursday:

Prepare the Ark! by conrail6809, on Flickr
Z151 crossing the Grand River bridge. Water was a bit lower that day.

Our usual train-watching spot at Judd St. is a lake.

Departing Wyoming by conrail6809, on Flickr
Z151 pulling out of the yard through the Plaster Creek plant. The barricades seen in the distance are for CSX's Plaster Creek road bridge, which has been closed for over a year now for some reason but now they're worried the creek might damage the rail bridges too.

Northbound Again by conrail6809, on Flickr
Z151 heading north over the river northbound. They were planning on taking the train up near Kent City, cutting off the engines and running engine light back down to Wyoming yard one last time. Not sure if they did or not.

These were taken yesterday (Friday). The water had risen even higher.

Grand River Flood by conrail6809, on Flickr
CSX parked a string of loaded hoppers on the bridge that morning.

"Anchoring" The Bridge by conrail6809, on Flickr

Flooding by conrail6809, on Flickr
Water is at the bottom of the bridge.

There's the water by conrail6809, on Flickr
Just in case you weren't clear, it's at the bottom of the bridge! :lol: I'd say it's usually at least 20 feet below.

GR&I Bridge Downtown by conrail6809, on Flickr
The former GR&I/PRR/PC/CR bridge up-river downtown is a bit higher than the CSX bridge.

GR Public Museum by conrail6809, on Flickr
Flooding at the GR Public Museum.

Flooded Downtown by conrail6809, on Flickr
Somewhere down there is a river walk and the rest of those windows. :lol:

Flooding at GVSU by conrail6809, on Flickr
The water was creeping up to the GVSU campus. Behind me were a bunch of sandbags.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Facebook friend of mine just posted this, this is the Grand Rapids Eastern's bridge in Ada.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

EDIT: picture posted my MQT says to weight down the bridge... Sounds a little strange to me but hey if they gotta do that.. would the bridge float away? :lol:
Last edited by Ypsi on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:what is parking the CSX hoppers supposed to do :?:
Supposedly keeping weight on the bridge will anchor it better.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

SD80MAC wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:what is parking the CSX hoppers supposed to do :?:
Supposedly keeping weight on the bridge will anchor it better.
Bridges are designed to be pushed down and hold a load, not act as a darn. Bridges are not designed to handle forces from the side. By them parking the covered hoppers loaded with Calcium Cloride on the bridge it acts a weight to combat the forces from the river. Whats harder to move a 100lb weight or a 500 lb weight. Those OCCX hoppers are not light by any means.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

If the water was to get high enough to really flood Wyoming Yard, I wonder what people would say if I pulled out a kayak and went paddling around inside the yard :idea:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Just ran a bunch of Math. Here is what I've got. First, the baseline numbers:

The Grand River just passed the 34,000 ft^3 per second mark discharge rate in GR. BTW, the area of the Grand River Watershed up to that point is 4900 square miles. That means there are 7 cubic feet of water per second going thru Grand Rapids per square mile upstream. That is about 25,000 cubic feet from every square mile every hour. No shortage of water right now.

Grand River Affects Lake Michigan
Normal Flow: 5000cfs = 37,400 Gal/Sec
Current Flow: 34000cfs = 253,338 Gal/Sec
Amount of Gallons needed to fill Lake Michigan 1 inch: 390 billion.

- Under normal conditions, how long would it take to raise Lake Michigan (not including L. Huron) one inch?
37,400 GAL/SEC x 60 = 2,244,000 GAL/MIN
2,244,000 GAL/MIN x 60 = 134,640,000 GAL/HR
134,640,000 GAL/HR x 24 = 3,231,360,000 GAL/DAY
390,000,000,000 GAL / 3,231,360,000 GAL/DAY = 121 DAYS

- Under current conditions, how long would it take to raise Lake Michigan one inch?
34000 / 5000 = 6.8
121 DAYS / 6.8 = 18 Days

Conclusion: The Grand River has a lot of water, but the big lake can drink a lot and not change!

As a side note, most of Lake Michigan/Huron acquired about 2 inches of water just from direct precipitation. That makes up much of the 3 inches she rose last week. But, the Grand River is not the only river flowing in. Nearly every river in Michigan is running way above average, so it will make a dent in the water deficit. Stay tuned!

From WoodTV8 Meteorologist Bill Steffen:
9:35 PM – I’m running downtown to do the weather at 10 PM and 11 PM by the Ford Museum. Grand Rapids downtown is at 21.4 feet, the forecast crest is 22.7 feet, but I think it’ll be closer to 22 feet and the crest will be Sun. evening. The river at Ionia is down 2″ since crest at midday. The Rogue is falling slowly. The Thornapple has dropped 2 inches at Caledonia.
His blog is: http://blogs.woodtv.com/author/billsteffen/ if anyone wants to read it.