MAD

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

MAD

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I was careless today so somewhere in Lima, Leipsic or Oakwood is one of my SD cards. Has the going away shots for about 10 trains I filmed today. MAD! Not sure if its worth trying to find it tomorrow. It most likely fell out of my pocket getting out of the car so most likely been ran over or washed away in the rain :evil:

J T
Hates Supper

Re: MAD

Unread post by J T »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

:mrgreen: No Jim, I think it goes like this:

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Can anyone say it better than Mr Bean
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

^Why you use meme wrong? That one is "If you know what I mean". Image
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

alittlevanwerty wrote:I was careless today so somewhere in Lima, Leipsic or Oakwood is one of my SD cards. Has the going away shots for about 10 trains I filmed today. MAD! Not sure if its worth trying to find it tomorrow. It most likely fell out of my pocket getting out of the car so most likely been ran over or washed away in the rain :evil:
If you can remember where you were well enough to re-trace your steps it might be worth a try looking for it. Steve Barry lost one while on a trip and someone else was able to find it based on his memory of where it was he thought he lost it, so you never know...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MDH wrote:
alittlevanwerty wrote:I was careless today so somewhere in Lima, Leipsic or Oakwood is one of my SD cards. Has the going away shots for about 10 trains I filmed today. MAD! Not sure if its worth trying to find it tomorrow. It most likely fell out of my pocket getting out of the car so most likely been ran over or washed away in the rain :evil:
If you can remember where you were well enough to re-trace your steps it might be worth a try looking for it. Steve Barry lost one while on a trip and someone else was able to find it based on his memory of where it was he thought he lost it, so you never know...
Pretty sure that's happened at least once on the trips I've taken before too.

Did you check under the seats in the car, really carefully? A couple years back one of the guys I railfan with misplaced his phone :!: while we were chasing. We'd covered a lot of ground that day and couldn't go back to check every spot, but we did go through one snow bank very thoroughly before giving up. We eventually started checking the car to make sure it was really gone, and wound up finding it had fallen between the seats.

I'd give the car a really good look, especially between the seat and the door. It may have fallen out of your pocket, but it might be hiding in the shadows around or under the seat...
~ Charles W.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

We backtracked through everywhere I remember stopping with no lucky. They day I lost it we had a monsoon rain after we go back so it could have floated away. I also cleaned the car out with no luck but I'm sure it could be still hiding in there.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

And this is why you get into the habit of immediately sticking the full card in the camera bag and NOT your pocket :wink:

This is also why I don't care for the DSLR manufacturers making the switch to the SD cards from CF cards.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

conrailmike wrote:And this is why you get into the habit of immediately sticking the full card in the camera bag and NOT your pocket :wink:

This is also why I don't care for the DSLR manufacturers making the switch to the SD cards from CF cards.
Yes. I agree.
Brett

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

conrailmike wrote: This is also why I don't care for the DSLR manufacturers making the switch to the SD cards from CF cards.
I actually prefer the smaller cards over the CF cards. I can't say there's a single reason why I'd dislike them.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

J T wrote:
conrailmike wrote: This is also why I don't care for the DSLR manufacturers making the switch to the SD cards from CF cards.
I actually prefer the smaller cards over the CF cards. I can't say there's a single reason why I'd dislike them.
Me too, I dont care for Micro SD, But SD cards are good.
Mark it Zero.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

conrailmike wrote:This is also why I don't care for the DSLR manufacturers making the switch to the SD cards from CF cards.
^^This.^^

The CF cards were a lot easier to change on the fly than the SD cards are. And they're easier to find in the camera bag than the SD cards. Not to mention the CF cards are pretty much useless if you upgrade to a newer camera.
~ Charles W.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

MKT_fan11 wrote:
conrailmike wrote:This is also why I don't care for the DSLR manufacturers making the switch to the SD cards from CF cards.
^^This.^^

The CF cards were a lot easier to change on the fly than the SD cards are. And they're easier to find in the camera bag than the SD cards. Not to mention the CF cards are pretty much useless if you upgrade to a newer camera.
Well except Canon's newest sports camera has dual CF card slots...
Brett

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MKT_fan11 wrote:
The CF cards were a lot easier to change on the fly than the SD cards are.
How do you figure?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

bdconrail29 wrote:Well except Canon's newest sports camera has dual CF card slots...
Really? Guess I should keep up on new releases a little better. :oops:
J T wrote:
MKT_fan11 wrote:
The CF cards were a lot easier to change on the fly than the SD cards are.
How do you figure?
The CF cards don't have exposed contact areas like the SD cards do. Plus, if you drop a card while changing cards in confined spaces like a car, the CF card tends to be a little easier to find due to its larger (thicker) size. The compact size and space available on the SD card is nice, but I prefer the larger, thicker CF card to the SD card especially if I'm changing cards in the camera between shots or on the road.

I think part of my position has to do with the card location on my Rebel XT vs. the card location on my T2i. I'm still adjusting to the T2i and the fact that the door for the card slot isn't the entire corner of the camera body is taking some getting used to.
~ Charles W.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Shoot 12 fps full RAW and you'll appreciate CF cards (well, on cameras that read 4 channels) :) :)

On the other hand, for railfan photography especially, SD cards are plenty sufficient and they are improving the tech of the cards to read even faster, ignoring buffer on the camera you are using.
Brett

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote:
Since most computers have an SD card, I find them smaller and more convenient than CF cards.

The only real time I ever change cards is at Porter, and I immediately stick them into my case, which goes right into my camera box...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MKT_fan11 wrote: I think part of my position has to do with the card location on my Rebel XT vs. the card location on my T2i. I'm still adjusting to the T2i and the fact that the door for the card slot isn't the entire corner of the camera body is taking some getting used to.
Yup, it just takes some getting used to. I was a little skeptical about SD cards after being used to CF for a few years, but like anything in life, you just learn to adapt to changes in technology. Since buying a camera two years ago that uses SD, it hasn't occurred to me at any time that it's any better or worse than CF. It's just another type of medium that works well, but in a slightly more compact package, and I adapted to it almost immediately. :)
bdconrail29 wrote:Shoot 12 fps full RAW and you'll appreciate CF cards (well, on cameras that read 4 channels) :) :)
I wish I had a camera that shot 12 fps. :(