How Detroit ended up with the worst public transit

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
59caddy
bag of holding

How Detroit ended up with the worst public transit

Unread post by 59caddy »

Here's the story of Detroit's public transit: http://metrotimes.com/covers/how-detroi ... -1.1648373

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: How Detroit ended up with the worst public transit

Unread post by Jochs »

I think Detroit was bad public transportation to encourage everyone to buy their own transportation and put auto makers, parts suppliers, etc. back to work. :wink:
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

I can't connect to that article for some reason but I do have an opinion on the major
cause of Detroit's transport problems.

Being surrounded on the east and south by a river and international border, all commuters
(students, workers, shoppers.... whatever) excepting the Canadians that cross, that would
usually come into a city from 360 degrees are crowded into access from only 180 degrees.

Just say'n
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

http://detroitnews.mycapture.com/mycapt ... ryID=71179

Detroit had excellent publc transportation back in the 40s and 50s and 60s.Busses ran about 10 or 15 minutes apart. Streetcars on Woodward were sometimes only a block apart. Look at some old black and white photos of Detroit, especially downtown. The auto companies were instrumental in downgrading public transportation, believing everyone in the "Motor City" should be driving a car. The electric streetcars were 50 years ahead of their time. They ran in all weather, on time, and just a few minutes apart. The Woodward streetcars ran from the river to the fairgrounds turnaround. I used to ride them just for the fun of it............for a dime! There was absolutely no good reason to remove the streetcars. There were also streetcars on Gratiot, and the Clairmount line. Detroit was a great place to grow up in and live, back in the 40s and 50s.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

'40s, '50s and '60s were pre-riot and pre-Coleman. A much different world.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

When the automakers bought up all the street car lines and forced everyone to buy a car if they wanted to get around. America fell in love with the new found freedom of owning a car. All you had to do was hop in you car and go!