Grand Rapids, the progressive Michigan city

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Grand Rapids, the progressive Michigan city

Unread post by railohio »

6 Reasons Grand Rapids Earned a Place on the Great Transit Map

It’s been a big year for the small city of Grand Rapids. First, the transit authority launched Michigan’s only bus rapid transit line in August. Then, on Monday, the city held a dedication for its new $6 million Amtrak station — part of a line that’s so well-traveled, the train’s beleaguered higher-ups tout it on slash-happy Capitol Hill. With new bike lane protections in the works as well, it’s no surprise that the national Center for Transportation Excellence announced it would hold its 2015 transit initiatives conference there, calling the city a “learning laboratory for leaders around the country.”

But actually, it is kind of a surprise. As much larger cities on the progressive coasts struggle to prioritize multi-modal transportation against car-loving codes, infrastructure and voting populations, what is the Midwest city’s secret? What, exactly, is it doing right?
Source: http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/grand-r ... it-lessons
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Grand Rapids, the progressive Michigan city

Unread post by J T »

The transit plan in this town is killing traffic flow. Many four lane roads have been reduced to two for bikes lanes, and are now choked with poor traffic flow, and much of Division street been choked to two lanes by this stupid "rapid transit" bus lane.

The train station I have no problems with because it doesn't snarl traffic like this other nonsense.

Progressive? More like regressive. These 4 lane roads that could once handle traffic have now been reduced to resemble the traffic flow era of the Model T. The idiotic "progressive" thinking individuals behind this mess need to be stripped of their authority and replaced with practical and logical thinking minds.

Nothing infuriates me more than being stuck in a traffic jam on a 2 lane road that used to flow freely as 4 lanes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

J T wrote:The transit plan in this town is killing traffic flow. Many four lane roads have been reduced to two for bikes lanes, and are now choked with poor traffic flow, and much of Division street been choked to two lanes by this stupid "rapid transit" bus lane.

The train station I have no problems with because it doesn't snarl traffic like this other nonsense.

Progressive? More like regressive. These 4 lane roads that could once handle traffic have now been reduced to resemble the traffic flow era of the Model T. The idiotic "progressive" thinking individuals behind this mess need to be stripped of their authority and replaced with practical and logical thinking minds.

Nothing infuriates me more than being stuck in a traffic jam on a 2 lane road that used to flow freely as 4 lanes.
Amen! Nothing "progressive" about it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

J T wrote: Nothing infuriates me more than being stuck in a traffic jam on a 2 lane road that used to flow freely as 4 lanes.
They did that to us here in Traverse City this summer. 8th street, one of just a few E-W thru streets was 4 lanes, now reduced to two, choked with backed up traffic, and bike lanes no one uses because of the existing parallel bike path on active RR property that is very popular. Why they did it and for what??? Got to be the same consultants that sold expensive bad advice to Grand Rapids.

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

Normally, I pass-by stories whose headlines include the word "progressive."

Progressive is a code word that normally means over-taxed and over-regulated. In this case
the city extends the concept to include over-interfere with the local traffic modes.

Legislative bodies, including those at the local level, should be limited to meet only two
weeks per year. After two hundred and thirty some years our deliberative bodies have
far exceeded anything our various levels of constitutions/charters have permitted them to do.

Wait Z, I tie this into transportation.

Tax codes and the like can be reversed later limiting the damage they do but transportation
(with capital lives of thirty years or more, i.e bridges, locomotives and cross ties) legislation
errors have a long and painful correction period.
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I was at the Grawn Shell today waiting in line. A couple guys were in line- one commented how terrible the County Road 633 grade crossing is (it IS terrible, by the way). One mentioned it's been "10 years" since the last train. The other said no, most like 4 (I think he wins). However he then said he has already talked to the county road commission about it. The road commission said they can't touch it without the railroad and MDOT approval and financing. He asked them if they could just pave over the crossing, as it'll never get used again. They said no, did that to the same crossing years ago, then a "weekly" train came and the railroad threw a fit. Probably back in Mr. TSB days? And anyway, the other guy say the county is interested in getting the railroad right away for a main road into from Grawn- limited access from Sawyer Road to where it crosses Cass Road by the school bus garage. If you think about it, it would make sense! Very little in the way of hills, no sharp curves, not much for cross roads.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

This is what the transportation pinheads are foisting on communities all over the country!
http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/provencounte ... 12_013.cfm

Almost every town in Michigan has been reduced to this stupid 3 lane pavement. MDOT officials wanted to do this on M-55 through Houghton Lake. At a town meeting a couple years ago, they were basically handed their hats and run out of town. Even the sheriff said he wouldn't enforce it. Then last year, MDOT pinheads were back with a different proposal. Again, the business community opposed it, the Houghton lake ambulance company opposed it, saying the backed up traffic would block their driveway on weekends. Again, the sheriff opposed it. But the unelected MDOT bureaucrats are forging ahead with their plans anyway. They are going to squander millions reconfiguring the on and off ramps to and from US-127, to M-55, to funnel the traffic onto two lanes, one each way, coming to and from the freeway. Traffic will be backed up for miles on summer and holiday weekends, as thousands of vacationers pulling boats, campers, and big motorhomes, exit US-127, and encounter a single lane into town! People will be pulling into the gas stations and restaurants as they exit the freeway, creating monumental traffic jams. And the determined, progressive pinheaded bureaucrats who created the mess, will collect their paychecks, and are apparently accountable to no one!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The capacity issue with any road is at the intersections. The highway authority has the options of a 2 lane road with parking on both sides, a 3 lane road with the 1/2 lane shoulders (re-striped 4 lane) , a 4 lane or a 5 lane. A 3 lane w/ bike lanes will move traffic smoother and faster than a 2 lane or a 4 lane without the expense of reconstructing into a 5 lane IF AND ONLY IF, the capacity issues at the intersections are taken care of. GR ignores the intersection issues and apparently ignores the signal timing as well. Properly done, a 3 lane can move up to 10-12,000 vehicles per day.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Raildudes dad wrote:Properly done, a 3 lane can move up to 10-12,000 vehicles per day.
In theory, perhaps, but human nature defeats the possibility (just as it does with the "zipper" theory with two lanes to one merging). As long as faster traffic is not allowed to pass slower traffic, there will always be bottlenecks on roads that are one lane in each direction with a turn lane. Bring back the two lanes in each direction, OR widen the roads to make them two lanes in each direction with a turn lane. This one lane with a turn lane (and bike lanes) nonsense is maddening.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Actually Plainfield north of Leonard is down to one line each way and it moves just fine...used to be four lanes, now two with turn lane/median
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:Actually Plainfield north of Leonard is down to one line each way and it moves just fine...used to be four lanes, now two with turn lane/median
Having driven that road many times over the years when it was four lanes, it doesn't move as "fine" as it used to. No flow that has been choked will ever move as fine as it did prechoking.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

The section of roadway they want to 3 lane in Houghton lake has no bike or pedestrian traffic. And all the gas stations and businesses have off road parking. Most of the traffic is on weekends and consists of weekenders and vacationers exiting or returning US-127, pulling boats, quads, travel trailers, jet skis, and motor homes. It is a very busy roadway on summer weekends with the present 4 lanes. It will be a nightmare when it goes down to one lane each way. The main purpose of a roadway is to expedite the movement of vehicles from point A to point B, and is paid for from gasoline and vehicle taxes. Bikes and pedestrians pay no road raxes. And to rub salt in the wound, MDOT squanders millions of road tax dollars on these cockamamy projects, and then tells us they have no money to fix the roads! And as we speak, the politicians are trying to find ways to raise more money to fix the roads, without triggering a revolution!

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

From the Roscommon County Road Commission meeting minutes. Looks like MDOT bureaucrats don't listen to the local road commissions. Roscommon county is trying to get our state representatives to get MDOT to back off.

"Reviewed meeting with MDOT that took place on October 26, 2013 about turning M55 between Old 27 and US 127 from a 4 lane road into a 3 lane road. Supervisor read a letter from the Roscommon County Road Commission stating their opinion of being opposed to the project".

GR Ron
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GR Ron »

MQT3001 wrote:Actually Plainfield north of Leonard is down to one line each way and it moves just fine...used to be four lanes, now two with turn lane/median
Only fine when it is not school/special event time, otherwise a choked up mess - especially near the vegetation canyons they put in where there should be left turn lanes. No room for getting through in a hurry when needed. I am a bike rider too and appreciate the bike lanes, but so many going all the same direction is overkill IMHO.... Love going that way to the Choo Choo and seeing GRE go by (to keep it on topic)
GR Ron

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

GR Ron wrote: Only fine when it is not school/special event time, otherwise a choked up mess - especially near the vegetation canyons they put in where there should be left turn lanes.
The latest 'fad' around here is the lack of right hand turn lanes even on brand new roads they're putting through corn fields. So, you get 10 cars in line, 5 of whom are waiting to turn right. What...a...waste.

Thankfully they've gone back and changed around the couple intersections where they allowed only 1 side to go at a time. That's right, one direction of traffic at a time only. No left turn arrows, then letting traffic go through. Everyone waited for another side to go. While I know there are better ways to move traffic, why should we insist on re-inventing the wheel all the time?

Practice Safe CSX

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:Bikes and pedestrians pay no road taxes.
False.
CSX_CO wrote: The latest 'fad' around here is the lack of right hand turn lanes even on brand new roads they're putting through corn fields. So, you get 10 cars in line, 5 of whom are waiting to turn right. What...a...waste.
If I ruled the world, EVERY intersection with a light would have a right turn lane, and one that flowed freely without any need to yield or stop. Yes, another one of my pet peeves, especially with newly built intersections. There is NO excuse for not having dedicated right turn lanes on busy roadways, especially those with recently rebuilt intersections.

Anyone want to talk about traffic lights without sensors? Or how about traffic lights going through full cycles during non-peak periods (middle of the night or Sunday mornings, for example). :evil: :evil: :evil:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

J T wrote: If I ruled the world, EVERY intersection with a light would have a right turn lane, and one that flowed freely without any need to yield or stop. Yes, another one of my pet peeves, especially with newly built intersections.
Leonard and Monroe is just like this. I know SB and I think NB too there is no right-turn lane, where most people turn right! Left turn lane and then optional straight or right. So you get stuck waiting a cycle when normally they wouldn't have to. I think that is one we lost with the bike lanes...

Agreed...bike lanes on some roads to make a cohesive system, but not every darn street...make the signs a different color or something to signify they have a bike lane and be done. Also do we need one in each direction?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone want to talk about traffic lights without sensors?
I ride a scooter all summer around town, here in Houghton lake area. A couple intersections have sensors, and a scooter doesn't trip them. I am apparently invisible. If I am the only one at a red light, it never turns green. The "Don't Walk" sign starts flashing for the crosswalk, like the light is going to turn, then turns back to "Walk", and the light stays green for the opposing road, for another cycle. I am forced to look around for any cops, and run the light. Or turn right on red, and make a U turn half a block down.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:
Anyone want to talk about traffic lights without sensors?
I ride a scooter all summer around town, here in Houghton lake area. A couple intersections have sensors, and a scooter doesn't trip them. I am apparently invisible. If I am the only one at a red light, it never turns green. The "Don't Walk" sign starts flashing for the crosswalk, like the light is going to turn, then turns back to "Walk", and the light stays green for the opposing road, for another cycle. I am forced to look around for any cops, and run the light. Or turn right on red, and make a U turn half a block down.
Time to buy some magnets. :lol:

http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

Or look into this: http://www.jsonline.com/news/traffic/mo ... 69311.html

I feel like I heard in recent years that Michigan passed that law as well.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Plainfield near Ann carries over 15,000 vehicles / day. That's too high for the 3 lane configuration, especially if the intersection capacity is compromised. The rain gardens certainly are a problem. Signal timing is important as well (right JT :wink: ) They added a cross walk at Palmer last year and had to close the road to do it. Double dumb idea (islands) :roll: .

Leonard St from Remembrance to Fuller for the most part functions as a 3 lane (some areas striped for bicycles, some not). The US 131 area is problematic but once you find the sweet spot for speed I can go from Monroe to the EBL catching all green lights just about any time of day. West of 131 functions the same way.

To expect no congestion or backups from 5-5:30 is unrealistic for the GR metro area. We are at the population mass where congestion is going to occur in spite of all the efforts the planners take :wink: .

As for GR and their bike lanes, they really need to look at the streets they want to include and make sure the traffic count is appropriate (not Plainfield) and then make sure they do not impact the intersection capacity, improve it if they can but certainly do not reduce it which they are doing with the goofy bump outs (Ie EB Ann at Turner):x