School Bus/ train collison

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

School Bus/ train collison

Unread post by Ypsi »

One of the worst nightmares of a crew is striking a school bus, and that has happened in N. Dakota.

http://news.yahoo.com/authorities-2-dea ... 26909.html

I have heard stories of engineers who have struck even empty school busses, and not been able to work for a while because they are traumatized by the situation.. never a good situation to hear about, no less be a part of.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Re: School Bus/ train collison

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

There have been two schools buses hit in Ypsilanti, both at the same crossing (LeForge Rd.) and I was on both trains.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Not to start the speculation train (no pun intended) but I am leaning toward road conditions as the main factor in this accident. Driving on the back roads around here has been slick with the snow, let alone on the windswept prairie. Hit a patch of ice at the wrong time... That being said, they haven't released much so take it for what you may.

Thoughts to all those involved for this tradegy.

I'd hate to have that happen in Ypsi's district. Didn't even know it had happened before. What year were those, hogger, if you don't mind?
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

ConrailMan5 wrote:Not to start the speculation ...
So then the question is, why are you?

Lt. Troy Hischer of the North Dakota Highway Patrol said the weather was clear and the road was not icy.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/re ... llide-near
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Don't remember the exact years, probably in the mid to late 90's. Both times, not the driver's fault, both times, nobody on the bus. Both times, the bus had stalled after doing it's mandatory stop with the doors open for whatever length of time and when starting to move ahead, engine stalled. First time was with train #374, the commuter train so we were already slowing down for the station stop, hit the bus mid-section at about 10 mph. Second time was with a westbound work train, 48 loads of ballast, hit the bus at about 48 mph. Still had the crossing blocked when we stopped, head end right behind McDonald's. Should mention that LeForge Rd is right in the middle of an S curve with the former Penn Paper Co building on the northwest side of the crossing.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

That's good that they were empty, the old Ypsi bus depot was right by the tracks so everyday dozens of busses would have to cross those tracks to get to one of the many schools. It seems as though when busses are making the left turn from Huron to leforge are exempt from stopping as it would cause major issues with traffic flows.. Every other crossing in town I see them stop for the normal procedure (thankfully all of the divers I have seen are good about stopping at the crossings).
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

I just went to Mapquest to check on that railroad crossing at Leforge Rd just north of N. Huron River Dr, and it's bizarre because Mapquest calls the RR the "Penn Central Railroad"! I have noticed lots of various mapping services have old/outdated RR names.

Garry K