Favorite Great Lake Carferry and why?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Favorite Great Lake Carferry and why?

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Between Annie's fleet, The PM/C&O's, Grand Trunks or GR&I's, which single boat holds the most interest for you? Whether it be the stories, her looks or just 'cause. The stories written about these magnificent vessels plying the dangerous inland seas 365 days a year for almost an entire century still feel me with awe and dread. Out of all the history of Michigans railroads, the boats, the crews and the railroads that filled them still are among the best tales one could ever recall (In my opinion). Your favorite boat and why?
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Favorite Great Lake Carferry and why?

Unread post by canpac08 »

I would have to say the Chief Wawatam. Due solely to that when I was about 5 years old my mom took me up to the straights of Mackinaw, and we used to stop at a smoked fish place right by the docks where the Wawatam was moored. I wish I knew where the pictures are today:( Of course car ferries and freighters are one of my first loves and had I not become a conductor I would have worked the great lakes.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

She wasn't a pretty boat but she worked her ass off up there! I would have to say that my favorite was the Viking(Ann Arbor #7). She was the favorite of the crews before her rebuild because she was the best ice breaker of their fleet. After the refit, she still was considered the best boat. When she came back with all her changes she had a no-nonsense look to her. No other ship in any of the fleets looked like her. I saw her once before the shut-down in Elberta when my father took me to see them. Her sisters, Arthur K. Atkinson and the City of Milwaukee were there also but by then, not running. A couple of weekends ago, my wife and I went to Manistee to tour the City Of Milwaukee. I reccommend the tour to anyone thinking about it. It is still an amazing boat and it was great to actually walk the decks and dark spaces where the crews did throughout the stories I've read. It won't be the last time I do either.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

I'm partial to the AA Viking -- it was the only one I ever rode, in 1979. I had been biking around the state and strained a muscle in my back going up one of the long hills on M-22 north of Onekama. I was staying at a home hostel that evening on Crystal Lake near Frankfort, and someone there was singing the praises of the ferry. So I decided to give my back a break and take a day off from riding and I did the roundtrip across the lake. I remember getting breakfast after getting underway, and the waiter was a big burly sailor with tattoos - at the time I thought it was bizarre that he would be a waiter.

And, stupid me, didn't bother to take any pictures (or if I did, they're long gone). I do believe an Ann Arbor RS-3 was handling the switching duties in Elberta; can't remember what was doing the switching on the Kewaunee side.
Owosso Steve

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Steve- great story....... (another vote for the Viking)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

SW wrote:I do believe an Ann Arbor RS-3 was handling the switching duties in Elberta; can't remember what was doing the switching on the Kewaunee side.
AA (MIRY) had RS1's and 2's (2's came from GB&W around 1979 or 80). GB&W most likley used one of their RS2 or 3r's (rebuilt to RS20 standard).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

My faves are the GTW boats. Hard to pick one, since they were all identical. I love the design of that class of lake boat, and they looked sharp with the noodle emblem and red and blue smoke stacks.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

My Aunt and Uncle live down there in Muskegon and I got to see the Madison and the Grand Rapids before they were sold off. Beautiful ships. If they were still going, do you think the CN wet noodle would be on them now?

Hugh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hugh »

The Midland.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

I remember seeing the City of Midland 41 coming into Traverse City in her now Barge form. Stopped at the coal docks. It was sad to see her like that but still, it was her.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

MIGN-Todd wrote:My Aunt and Uncle live down there in Muskegon and I got to see the Madison and the Grand Rapids before they were sold off. Beautiful ships. If they were still going, do you think the CN wet noodle would be on them now?
Its hard to imagine those ferries still operating, but if they were, they'd probly have a CN where the GT was on the bow. Its too bad Grand Trunk didn't spring for a new ferry in the 70s when it was under consideration. I doubt GT/CN would still be operating it, but it could have been spun off to a third party (like the Chessie ferries were for a time).

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Shoulda-woulda-coulda

motownmike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by motownmike »

Lived in Ludington for awhile in 1977. The Midland became my favorite because I liked the sound of its whistle compared to Spartan and Badger. Rode the Midland over to Milwaukee but it was a foggy day and we couldn't see anything.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Midland 41 seemed to be the favorite of all the Chessie boats. She was different, one of a kind. Much that I've read regarding the locals, they wanted the City of Midland 41 to continue running and not the Spartan or Badger which were a bit newer. I'd have to agree as well that she looked better than her newer sisters.

ETR#101
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ETR#101 »

Mine....although a far cry from the ships like Badger, my favorite is Lansdowne. Not the barge version either, back when she was a side wheeler. I'm not sure what it is about her. I think her name has a lot to do with it, and the fact that she had survived for so long.
On the job since 1941

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Quite possibly the least known of them all. I admit I've never tracked down info on her. I'll make it a point to do so tomorrow

ETR#101
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ETR#101 »

Hmmmmm....maybe she doesn't qualify for this discussion lol. She was of the ridiculously busy Detroit river variety. Built in 1884 and scrapped in 2007 I think.

Here's a couple pix:

I think in the 50's she blew her engine and was turned into a barge for the cars into the 70's or early 80's?
Then someone tried to turn her into a floating resturant at the foot of Woodward using these beauties.

She would take on water from time to time, the resturant never panned out, and she as towed to either Erie or Buffalo. She languished at these docks for years until she sank yet again, taking the cars with her. She was refloated, the cars removed and she was scrap from there on. The cars survive in a meuseum now I think.
On the job since 1941

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you very much for the info. Was just up at Mackinaw Island for three days and on the way back, made it a point to visit the Chief's dock. State dock is in real good shape still along with the auto elevator.

ETR#101
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ETR#101 »

You're quite welcome. Making sure those pictures worked probably wouln't have hurt either :mrgreen:

The "beauties" I spoke of were Milwalkee (sp? lol) Road skycars I think they were called. They were orange and red.
On the job since 1941