DEEX switchers

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

DEEX switchers

Unread post by OaklandCountyCustoms »

Does anyone know where to find pictures of the old DEEX switcher units? rrpicturearchive, railpictures and rr-fallenflags dont offer much more than #216. anyone know of any place to find more pictures?

chris

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: DEEX switchers

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

How old? I shot this at Trenton, a few years ago before the ban on electronics, and lots more of the same unit with out snow. I also have a photo that needs to be scaned, (cant scan right now) of the two assigned to Belle River, also in the same paint job. If you are intrested in them, I can e-mail the ones with out snow to you. If I ever get the patch to make the scanner work with the new computer I can scan the other ones (they are 217, and I think 213? looks like a SW9 or equivlent.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=175600
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

yep, thats the picture i found also. its a great picture, the problem i'm having is having no experience with switcher units. i hear that DEEX had several types and i'm trying to figure out which road number will be the easiest to model properly without doing bodywork, i just cant find any images. i'd be very interested in any DEEX switcher pictures. my e-mail is oaklandcountycustoms@yahoo.com.

thanks very much!

Chris

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

DEEX roster as far as I know. Found on the internet.

SW600 213 made 7/1954 and is at St. Clair and Belle River Power Plants in China Twp., MI.

SW900 214 made 10/1956 and is at Trenton Channel Power Plant in Trenton, MI. It is painted DTE Energy Blue with the DTE Energy Logo.

SW1000 216 made 1/1967 and is at Trenton Channel Power Plant in Trenton, MI.

SW1001 217 made 9/1968 and is at St. Clair and Belle River Power Plants in China Twp., MI.

I do not know where the 214 is as it is not at Trenton, as the 216 is the only unit there. Also dont know if it is still in the same paint or has been repainted. Also have no idea what unit is at River Rouge either. Could be the 214, as the others are still where they say they are.

I assume that you mean by easiest to model properly without doing bodywork, you mean who makes them.

Athearn has a SW1000 in the new RTR line that is right.
Diffrence in a SW1000 and 1001 are the 1001 has a smaller cab for industrial applacations, that is it, same body. So in this loco you have the 216 & 217.

Proto 2000/Walthers makes a SW9/1200, that can be used as a stand in for the SW900 & SW600 by cutting off the rear stack near the cab. The diffence between the two were #1 the stack, and #2 the louvers on the battery box behind the cab (and if you can pick out the diffrence going around the layout, your better then me) The early production SW8/900/600's had six louvers on the box, the rest (majority) have five. Now the diffrences between the SW9/1200 and SW900/8/600 is just the two stacks vs. one. In this you have the 213 & 214.

The body lenghts should be the same on all of them.

Here are some photos to show the diffrence.

SW8/600/900 Notice one stack, and again the five louvers on the back battery box/step.

SW9/1200 Both same body style. You can see on the battery box the five louvers by the back steps. Early versons had six.

All you would have to do to make a good stand in like I said is cut off the rear stack on a Proto SW9/1200 to make the SW600/8/900

With those simple steps you could do all four numbers. Give me a few days and I will find the rest of my 216 photos and e-mail them to you.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Bing maps confirm that 214 is still in blue and is at River Rouge.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

sd70 - that's a great post about the differences between the early EMD switchers. One other thing to check if one wants to match a specific prototype is whether the handrails are body or sill mounted and truck type (AAR or flexicoil).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

All the DEEX have AAR style trucks under them.

OaklandCountyCustoms
Railroadfan...fan

Well, i think i may just be on the right track. fate has it that i have a proto sw9/1200 and 2 athearn SW1000's sitting around in my "to be painted" box. I also have a SW7 phase 2 from Broadway Limited, i'm still learning the little details, but it seems similar to me to the SW9/1200. If i'm wrong, which DEEX number would you say is closest to the SW7?
Also bummed that athearn SW1000's (atleast the ones i have) are sill mounted handrails, the pictures i have seen show body mounted with the sill mounted added later. guess more whole filling is in my future!

Thanks everyone so far! I need to get back to my comfort zone with GP's and SD's!

Chris

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

The SW7 has a extra row of louvers on the hood of the engine, up near the hand rails, with a second larger set of lovers below. The upper set would all have to be sanded off to make it righ, but you could do that. Plus the SW7 still has two stacks. As far as numbers same two you could do with the Proto unit's and cutting off the extra stack. You will also see in the photos I emailed you that the DEEX hadrails are scratch built noting like what the RR had factory installed.

Here is SW7. Note the extra lovers just below the black/green sepration. You can also see the six louvers on the battery box on this unit.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

For those following this topic, here is two photos to show the diffrence in the hight of the cab of a SW100 & SW1001

SW1000

SW1001