Why 39ft Rails?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Why 39ft Rails?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Why was the standard rail length set at 39ft?
:?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Why 39ft Rails?

Unread post by csxt4617 »

So they'll fit on a 40' car.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Why a 40ft car? So they would hold a 39ft rail? :?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

csxt4617 wrote:So they'll fit on a 40' car.
Why didn't I think of that? :oops: :lol:

As for why 40ft, my guess is it was a nice round number, and is easy to work with just about everywhere on today's and yesterday's rail system (Maybe wood came in 10ft sections :wink: )

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: As for why 40ft, my guess is it was a nice round number, and is easy to work with just about everywhere on today's and yesterday's rail system (Maybe wood came in 10ft sections :wink: )
Except now, I'd wager the 'average' freight car length is 55' to 60'. Rare to find anything exactly 40' anymore. Even the 'smaller' corn syrup cars (that cube out at weight at their small size) are a bit over 40' from coupler to coupler.

40' was probably the most economical size when almost *everything* went via rail, and every town had its own team track, industries, etc. Smaller shippers didn't need the larger sized cars, so it would be a waste of materials and space to have 60' cars. As more centralized distribution became more common, larger capacity cars serving fewer customers made more sense. Also, as heavier axle loadings became possible through the advancements in suspension and metallurgy, the 40' cars fell by the wayside as you could get more 'stuff' into the larger car before you maxed out the weight.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: As for why 40ft, my guess is it was a nice round number, and is easy to work with just about everywhere on today's and yesterday's rail system (Maybe wood came in 10ft sections :wink: )
Except now, I'd wager the 'average' freight car length is 55' to 60'. Rare to find anything exactly 40' anymore. Even the 'smaller' corn syrup cars (that cube out at weight at their small size) are a bit over 40' from coupler to coupler.

40' was probably the most economical size when almost *everything* went via rail, and every town had its own team track, industries, etc. Smaller shippers didn't need the larger sized cars, so it would be a waste of materials and space to have 60' cars. As more centralized distribution became more common, larger capacity cars serving fewer customers made more sense. Also, as heavier axle loadings became possible through the advancements in suspension and metallurgy, the 40' cars fell by the wayside as you could get more 'stuff' into the larger car before you maxed out the weight.

Practice Safe CSX
Thanks for another of your fantastic explainations CSX CO :D

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Are you sure? I've seen a lot of 33' foot pieces out there too! On the length of car note, a lot of the class ones are getting rid of the 50' box cars and going to the 60' box car.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CAT345C wrote:a lot of the class ones are getting rid of the 50' box cars and going to the 60' box car.
I too am seeing a growing number of companies that traditionally received 50' box cars starting to receive 60's. Primarily newsprint and paper customers.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

CAT345C wrote:Are you sure? I've seen a lot of 33' foot pieces out there too! On the length of car note, a lot of the class ones are getting rid of the 50' box cars and going to the 60' box car.
These may have started out as 39 foot sections and had the ends cut off due to damage or cracking where the holes were drilled. Cut off the damaged area, drill new holes, presto! - 33 foot lengths of relay rail.
RR Pass Collector

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

For new rail, 78 foot strings seems to be a common length, however the SDI mill near Columbia City Indiana can produce 240 foot strings.
http://www.stld-cci.com/pdf/Metal_Cente ... rticle.pdf

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

My personal favorites are the 6 bolt bars with 2 bolts on one rail, then one piece on the two middle bolts, and finally the last two bolts on the other piece of rail! And yes I have modeled that on the model railroad as well! I've seen the 33' sections the most in sidings and yard tracks so you are most likely right. Too much batter and stress caused them to cut the rail back to 33'. Never thought you could have too much batter!
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

AARR wrote:
CAT345C wrote:a lot of the class ones are getting rid of the 50' box cars and going to the 60' box car.
I too am seeing a growing number of companies that traditionally received 50' box cars starting to receive 60's. Primarily newsprint and paper customers.
Most the 50' boxes are geting to the end of their life. CSX has been re-habbing and putting them into the TTX pool only to buy a few more years.