Amtrak Baggage cars on Wolverine trains

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Baggage cars on Wolverine trains

Unread post by Pie39 »

So then all the NPCUs are off the michigan Wolverine route? I liked seeing those.
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Pie39 wrote:So then all the NPCUs are off the michigan Wolverine route? I liked seeing those.
GONE. :shock:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT3001 wrote:
Pie39 wrote:So then all the NPCUs are off the michigan Wolverine route? I liked seeing those.
They do have ITCS but cannot go 110mph from what I understand they can only go up to 90
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
They do have ITCS but cannot go 110mph from what I understand they can only go up to 90
If you want 'em we've got them on the Pere Marquette USUALLY. For the last week or two, We've only have P42 #84 and 3 supers

C30-7A
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C30-7A »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
A couple things:
1. All in-service baggage cars on the system right now CAN reach 110mph and can go even higher still - 115mph on the Northeast Corridor on long distance trains like the Silver services, Carolinian, Crescent and Cardinal.
2. As Nathan mentioned, Amtrak eliminated the service to cut costs in MI. Having the service return would be nice, but Amtrak is currently in a crunch for baggage cars, which is making it difficult. The NPCUs ceased being used as baggage cars because of the added height and therefore increased injury risk to agents loading the baggage into the locomotives. They are, as stated, not permissible on the AML due to the 110MPH speeds, although they are rated for a top speed of 100mph, not 90. This also applies to Superliners. With the exception of several being used on Hiawatha services and, until recently, the Pere Marquette, all NPCUs that were previously assigned to Chicago have been stored either in Chicago or at Beech Grove in Indiana. The Los Angeles, Seattle and Boston hubs still have their own assigned NPCUs for services out of those terminals (Surfliners, Cascades and Downeasters, respectively).
Want to see checked bags in MI? Write to the State of Michigan if your desire concerns the Blue Water or Pere Marquette, or your legislature in Washington if it concerns the Wolverines. Amtrak cannot and will not do anything unless these bodies either give them needed funding, force them to or both.
If you can fly don't stop at the sky, 'cause there's footprints on the moon.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Are the cabbages permenatly gone from the Pere Marquette now? :?

C30-7A
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C30-7A »

MQT3001 wrote:Are the cabbages permenatly gone from the Pere Marquette now? :?
Not necessarily. 90413 was still being used into May while others had been stored. We'll have to wait and see if one returns at some point. At the present time, the Hiawathas are still using several.
EDIT: 90200, 90224 and 90413 are all still in Chicago, while several including 90215, 90219 and 90225 are now at Beech Grove. 224 and 413 have been photographed on Hiawathas since the start of June and 90200 was in service as late as May.
If you can fly don't stop at the sky, 'cause there's footprints on the moon.