Alpena's Fletcher Industrial Branch

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Alpena's Fletcher Industrial Branch

Unread post by Saturnalia »

While I was up in Alpena recently, I took the time to go take a bunch of pictures of the old industrial branch. Wow is a lot of it gone! Anyway, here is the set on Flickr (no way I'm linking 52 photos!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89601546@N ... 131894582/

Enjoy 8)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Alpena's Fletcher Industrial Branch

Unread post by AARR »

Fletcher closed in 1994 IIRC. They were a steady customer for D&M. I think they closed because of something with the union.

The big customer on the line was the hardboard plant by the lake. It has had quite a few operators over the years (most of them Abitibi & Something). However, demand for its product must fallen off because shipments in (wood resins) and out (hard board) fell next to nothing. Ironically after the spur was removed the plant started shipping a wood ethanol (unfortunately by truck) and also transloading hardboard again at LSRC's Alpena yard.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

HughJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by HughJ »

Flecther Paper got their raw material (recycled carboard boxes) by box car. For a while in the early 1990's there was coal for the second boiler (did not work out and was shut down) The main boiler was natural gas. I saw them ship finished product once in awhlie in box cars ( when I worked there it was mainly by truck).

The union did go out on strike and the mill was closed.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

AARR wrote:Fletcher closed in 1994 IIRC. They were a steady customer for D&M. I think they closed because of something with the union.
I'm fairly certain that it was later than 94, as I moved to the Alpena area in 94 and it was open for a few more years after that. A rough guess would be more like 99-00.