Ann Arbor Pittsfield Jct. Signals

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Ann Arbor Pittsfield Jct. Signals

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: Oh I see what you are confusing CSX_CO. I was just saying I have heard some crews say "restricting" when they call what are really restricted proceeds. I understand the rest already.
Considering how many times you repeated the same incorrect information, I really doubt that.

Secondly, the crews would fail an efficiency test for calling the incorrect signal. You answer "restricting" on a "restricted proceed" on the CSX signal test, and you fail it. You put "restricted proceed" on a "restricting" and you would fail it.
MQT3001 wrote: As to why I have heard a few crews use some sort of shorthand I don't know, but my understanding is that as long as you operate your train in accordance to the indication, what you say on the radio is basically meaningless...at least that is what I have heard.
Again, incorrect and wrong. If you call the wrong signal on the radio, that would be an E test failure. Easy one for a TM to get. Just be out driving along, and listen in to someone calling signals. Be an easy failure to hear someone say "restricting" and then a milepost location. Most crews know the difference, and call them correctly.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: Oh I see what you are confusing CSX_CO. I was just saying I have heard some crews say "restricting" when they call what are really restricted proceeds. I understand the rest already.
Considering how many times you repeated the same incorrect information, I really doubt that.
Okay I see what is wrong now (for real this time! :lol: ). It is an error on my part. When I brought up "restricting for short", I was aiming to tell the questioner, that from time to time you may hear trains crews call restricting when it is really a restricting proceed. I did honestly forget to add the crew part, not sure why. :? Yes, you got me, and I have to change what I originally said to be correct. Thanks for pointing it out, I did not see my error.

And yes, in all honesty, I did just now realize my error. I went on thinking I posted what I was thinking at the time, but apparently not. To wrap up, I always knew my restricting proceed from restricting, I just screwed up saying it. Sorry for the confusion.

Moving on...
CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: As to why I have heard a few crews use some sort of shorthand I don't know, but my understanding is that as long as you operate your train in accordance to the indication, what you say on the radio is basically meaningless...at least that is what I have heard.
Again, incorrect and wrong. If you call the wrong signal on the radio, that would be an E test failure. Easy one for a TM to get. Just be out driving along, and listen in to someone calling signals. Be an easy failure to hear someone say "restricting" and then a milepost location. Most crews know the difference, and call them correctly.
Alright, I was told wrong. I was told that as long as the train is operated according to the signal indication, what is said over the radio is meaningless. For instance, if the signal indication is medium approach slow, and you call medium approach medium, as long as you operate according to medium approach slow, you are off the hook.

So what you are saying is if "the boss" realizes your mistake, he can punish you or whatever for it, even if you operate your train correctly? Again, I'm just going off what I have been told, I have no background in it, of course.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by slwapprslw »

I believe the signals at Pittsfield Jct are Semi-Automatic. On the Annie side, the signals are automatic, and on the former NYC Saline side, they are controlled by a box near the diamond (to clear the signal). If you are seeing a " Clear" or "Restricting" indication on the Annie side, it means a train is close by on the approach circuits or a track circuit is down (activated), and the interlocker thinks that something is coming.This will line up the signal. A track circuit being down (activated) isn't an uncommon problem for an automated interlocker to have. It's just another headache that the signal maintainer will have to deal with.
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/