Carson City

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Carson City

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Was in town today, for my girlfriends doctor appointment, and explored a little bit and found the little GE tucked away:

When did the large grain elevator in town close? Wasnt there a push recently to use this locomotive for some sort of business that was to use rail in Carson City?
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Carson City

Unread post by AARR »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:When did the large grain elevator in town close? Wasnt there a push recently to use this locomotive for some sort of business that was to use rail in Carson City?
Elevator changed owners a few times since Kellogg's sold it 10-15 years ago but I think it closed within last 5 years.

Whoever owns the Sweet Line tried (tries?) to drum up some business including fertilizer, gravel, and natural gas but it never materilized. I have heard they cleaered the line and run speeders or whatever they are called.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by intocable83 »

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry to drag up an old post but didnt want to start a new one. Taking another interest in Carson City for a section of my new model railroad, just curious if anyone knows why the TSBY didnt take the Carson City-Middleton segment and the Sweet Line had to come into being. I know it was so Kelloggs elvator could ship out but I dont understand why TSBY wouldnt come to them if they were so busy. Did Kelloggs ever recieve or ship anything besides grain going out? Looking in Google maps, I can see a couple warehouses and tanks near the tracks. So would they recieve feed or fertilizer? I assume MAC was the reason Kelloggs went out of business?

Also what was directly west of the elevator? Looks like theres a spur and a couple tracks in the weeds still there
Nick

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The area to the west and south of "the tracks" was the location of the refinery. Was making jet fuel at the end. Back in the day the GT hauled product and oil between the Old Dutch refineries in Muskegon and Carson City. In the 40's MDOT replaced the bridge on M-46 over the Rogue River in Kent County. Old Dutch Petroleum wrote a letter stating how important M-46 was to their trucking oil and product between the 2 towns.

DTIDave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTIDave »

I was told there is supposed to some kind of motorcar gathering on the old Sweetline soon. I don't remember exactly when though. Could be this weekend? Maybe someone else can help.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

DTIDave wrote:I was told there is supposed to some kind of motorcar gathering on the old Sweetline soon. I don't remember exactly when though. Could be this weekend? Maybe someone else can help.
They used to have their own web site. Don't look like they do anymore. I will PM you Jim's email address from years ago.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

How long do those tracks go for? Do they connect to any thing. When was the last rain that ran one them? Lastly Is a museum going to purchase the switcher?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

wagnew0923 wrote:How long do those tracks go for? Do they connect to any thing. When was the last rain that ran one them? Lastly Is a museum going to purchase the switcher?
Sweetline starts just west of Middleton (Rich Rd?) and continues about a mile west of Carson City where the refinery used to be for a total of about 6-7 miles.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
wagnew0923 wrote:How long do those tracks go for? Do they connect to any thing. When was the last rain that ran one them? Lastly Is a museum going to purchase the switcher?
Sweetline starts just west of Middleton (Rich Rd?) and continues about a mile west of Carson City where the refinery used to be for a total of about 6-7 miles.
AARR, do you know if when the elevator was in operation, they sent or recieved anything else besides covered hoppers? And do you know why TSBY never picked up this section of line? It seems like theres a story behind that.
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:AARR, do you know if when the elevator was in operation, they sent or recieved anything else besides covered hoppers? And do you know why TSBY never picked up this section of line? It seems like theres a story behind that.
I believe the last revenue loads were shipped from Kellogg's around 1987.

The reason TSBY never picked up the line from Middleton to Carson City is there wasn't enough business to justify the cost. Kellogg's was a small elevator and probably didn't ship more than a few cars a month.

Eventually a group bought several elevators in the area including ones in Middleton (the old Fricke Grain place located west of MAC) and Carson City and they trucked their grain to Middleton to load into rail cars. They stopped shipping by rail a few years ago but I heard they may resume again.