Roundhouse Mystery

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Roundhouse Mystery

Unread post by mikekmac »

I'm looking for some help focusing a fuzzy memory.

In the late 1980s I had occasion to drive up to Alpena via US 23. I have a memory of taking note, at some point along the way, of a railroad roundhouse that was visible from the highway. I see that Lake State Railway now owns this route, operated as the Huron Subdivision. But there's not much information about their infrastructure on their web site.

I wonder if anyone here can confirm that there was such a roundhouse somewhere between Bay City and Alpena, and, if so, where it was and whether it's still standing.

-Mike

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

The one I think your talking about is in Tawas City. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its still there. I sort of remember seeing it when I drove thru town. I have always hoped of seeing a train go down the tracks that run thru town.
My YouTube Videos
www.youtube.com/stevetj001

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

I'm pretty sure you're right. This matches my memory closely enough:

http://home.frognet.net/~mcfadden/wd8ri ... dhouse.jpg

If I can nail down the location, so I know it could actually be seen from 23, that would clinch it.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I thought it was torn down and a Walmart built over it?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

Although my memory of being up there last summer is still foggy, I think there is one of those walmart supercenters north of there. If your ever in Tawas and looking for some good pizza, G's is the place to eat. Right on the main drag thru town, across from the pier.
My YouTube Videos

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Rats. It's gone. If you look at the -map- of Tawas City in Wikimapia, you can see where the roundhouse's yard was. But switch to the hybrid view and you'll see that the site is now occupied by a Super Wal-Mart, with the LSR tracks snaking around the back of the property.

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/R ... I(D&M).htm

Anyway, thanks for the assist.

SteveTJ
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SteveTJ »

That sucks. But after all the times I've driven up and down 23, I do remember seeing it in the past.
My YouTube Videos

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

And yet one more reason to boycott Wal Mart. Land up there isn't so scarce that the only place they could find was the D&M Tawas City roundhouse/yards. Lots of other places they could have built on. Apparently LSRC wanted to sell the land, but it would have been nice if some of the structures could have been saved/reused.
Just my 2 cents......

Todd

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

If your ever in Tawas and looking for some good pizza, G's is the place to eat.
Theres also a G's pizza in Downtown Bay City, and on M-24 near Lake Orion.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

It was a while ago that the LSRC sold the Tawas yard. The yard and most buildings were torn up and the Wal-Mart built. However the old roundhouse still remained. It housed the two passenger cars that are on display in Standish now along with whatever else. Probably 2-3 years ago they brought in a construction crew and just like that the roundhouse was gone. I did get photos before the roundhouse was torn down.

My father used to be big into rail photography. Now he just lets me do the shooting and he enjoys my work (although I've been pushing him to start again). However he has many slides of the operations in Tawas including the turntable and an RS2 poking her head out of the roundhouse. Someday I'll get around to scanning all of the negatives and posting them on here.

-Jim