Conrail's GR to Jackson Line

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Conrail's GR to Jackson Line

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Any photos of when the line was last in service or before it was lifted? Wasn't the line southeast of 44th/Kzoo last used in 83? Any modern photos of the line in use from the remaining portion northwest of Steelcase?
Nope, because it hasn't seen any use in "modern" times.
So the part of the line that goes to the Steelcase building doesn't get used anymore? I don't think that's true because I have seen cars on that line, albeit stored. I was more curious to see if anyone has gotten any photo's of locomotives and not just cars. I would think that the line would still be used considering the signal that fell a few years ago on Eastern Ave was completely replaced with a brand new one, even if law dictates that protection must be at all railroad crossings that are still in the pavement. Pictures of trains on the now abandoned section to Jackson would be neat too. That video of the RDC going down the line was sweet.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The only action it has seen in recent years is storage. Most people wouldn't count that as actual "use".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:The only action it has seen in recent years is storage. Most people wouldn't count that as actual "use".
Ahhh...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

SD80MAC wrote:The only action it has seen in recent years is storage. Most people wouldn't count that as actual "use".
That could also be constant use. :wink:
Last edited by ns8401 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Big customer was the bakery now Keebler. They ended service after the Bulkmatic Transload was set up in Hughart. Erb Lumber had a large distribution center on Roger B. The tank in the housing market did that customer in. Steelcase would get an occasional box of parts from one of their factories in CA. That ended a loonnnggg tie ago.Great Lakes Gypsum actually put a siding in a few+ years ago. They didn't receive many cars. Don't know if they still do.

Rick Burn
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick Burn »

This line was probably Grand Rapid's Premier Line in 1926. I have a reprint Official Guide and in 1926, the line had 5 trains a day except on Sunday when there were 4 trains.

First passenger train out of Grand Rapids was train 102 at 6:30 am, Coaches Only, all stops to Jackson Daily Except Sunday

Second passenger train out of Grand Rapids was Train 108 at 11:05 am making stops only at Middleville, Hastings, Nashville, Charlotte and Eaton Rapids. This train 2 Parlor Cars (the Official Guide was specific on that, a cafe coach, and coaches for Detroit. In addition, it had a 12 Section Drawing Room sleeper headed to New York City. This was a Daily 7 day per week consist.

Third passenger train out of Grand Rapids was Train 104 at 3:10, Coaches Only, all stops to Jackson, running daily. This probably carried the Grand Rapids afternoon newspapers as well as the early mail. Mail picked up the morning would move this train.

Fourth passenger train out of Grand Rapids was Train 110 at 5:15 pm stopping only Hastings and Charlotte. This train had carried a Parlor Car, Cafe Coach, and Coaches for Detroit, along with sleeping cars to Buffalo, NY and Miami, FL. No alcohol during Prohibition, but I am sure many meals were served.

Fifth passenger train out of Grand Rapids was Train 106 at 11:50 pm making all stops except Rives Junction with a 12 section Drawing Room Sleeper and a 16 Section Sleeper going from Grand Rapids to Detroit. This was the overnight businessman's train and also carried the Grand Rapids newspapers to Caledonia, Hastings, and Nashville. It was probably also a heavy mail trainn

Train 110 made the Grand Rapipds to Jackson 94.5 miles in 2 hours while trains 102 and 104 took 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Rick Burn
Holland, Michigan

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Did the extras stops really take up that much time, or was there a difference in the topped out speed of the trains?

My grandfather's family lived in the Morgan-Nashville area (namely in Barryville, a bit to the south) in the very early 1900s. A family story is that my great-grandfather was on a wagon or carriage with a horse leading who stopped at a crossing of this rail line in a snow storm. It quickly became obvious why the horse had stopped when a train came through the crossing. Guess I owe one to that horse :)

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wyrickj »

This is one of my favorite lines to go exploring and is one that I have spent a lot of time learning about.

Here is a couple photos I found of 44th & Kalamazoo area.

This is one from 1975 looking SE. The gas station is now a Tim Hortons.

ImageNYC GR To Jackson 44th & Kalamazoo - 1975 by wyrickj

The 2nd one is looking towards the NW at the same intersection in 1948

ImageNYC GR To Jackson 44th & Kalamazoo - 1948 by wyrickj,
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

wyrickj wrote:This is one of my favorite lines to go exploring and is one that I have spent a lot of time learning about.

Here is a couple photos I found of 44th & Kalamazoo area.

This is one from 1975 looking SE. The gas station is now a Tim Hortons.

ImageNYC GR To Jackson 44th & Kalamazoo - 1975 by wyrickj

The 2nd one is looking towards the NW at the same intersection in 1948

ImageNYC GR To Jackson 44th & Kalamazoo - 1948 by wyrickj,
The second picture is awesome with the locomotive barreling at the photographer. I also love this picture because it shows the change. What was a field is now industry. It's amazing. I've seen both of these.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT1223 wrote: I also love this picture because it shows the change. What was a field is now industry.
Except...no. Residential on the left and commercial/residential on the right.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wyrickj »

MQT1223 wrote:This is one of my favorite lines to go exploring and is one that I have spent a lot of time learning about.
Industry? Nah you mean really bad retail and apartments :mrgreen:

I have been back near where that train is on the ROW behind that mall and it's just amazing the massive amount of change compared to the photo I posted. It's barely passable anymore with the amount of growth and trash back there hah. I spotted a broken tube TV on the ROW one time. It's kinda sad that the area has declined so much but its so cool to compare before and after on that ROW. Apparently Conrail still owns the ROW from 44th to about where the tracks end at Stealcase.
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

wyrickj wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:This is one of my favorite lines to go exploring and is one that I have spent a lot of time learning about.
Industry? Nah you mean really bad retail and apartments :mrgreen:

I have been back near where that train is on the ROW behind that mall and it's just amazing the massive amount of change compared to the photo I posted. It's barely passable anymore with the amount of growth and trash back there hah. I spotted a broken tube TV on the ROW one time. It's kinda sad that the area has declined so much but its so cool to compare before and after on that ROW. Apparently Conrail still owns the ROW from 44th to about where the tracks end at Stealcase.
Why would Conrail (NS) retain such a short piece of ROW? Well whatever industry, residential or junk is there doesn't matter to me. It's the change that is amazing. Steelcase in 1948 is a field and that super busy intersection today looks like a small rural town. I wonder how fast that NYC loco was going. Looks like a NYC pacific is leading, the front alone tells me it's not a Hudson.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Conrail could still be the owner as part of some paper NS subsidiary? IIRC GDLK is just leasing what they have, so technically NS owns it all?

If that isn't the case, it is just outdated information.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

MQT3001 wrote:Conrail could still be the owner as part of some paper NS subsidiary? IIRC GDLK is just leasing what they have, so technically NS owns it all?

The tax bill goes to NS in Roanoke VA. The State of MI apparently no longer considers the ROW beyond Steelcase RR ROW since that parcel has a tax bill.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Conrail could still be the owner as part of some paper NS subsidiary? IIRC GDLK is just leasing what they have, so technically NS owns it all?

The tax bill goes to NS in Roanoke VA. The State of MI apparently no longer considers the ROW beyond Steelcase RR ROW since that parcel has a tax bill.
If its not ROW what is it? Can you explain this a little bit more clearer since I'm not too familiar with taxes (I'm collecting my first tax returns this year).

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Railroads do not pay property tax to the various counties, cities, villages, townships etc on the ROW's they operate in/on. There is a state agency that values the RR's real estate and rolling stock and the RR's pay the appropriate tax to the state. This does not apply to property not used for RR use ie this parcel.

Sometime in the 90's, the state legislature gave the RR's a credit on their taxes of 25% of the amount spent on track maintenance. later that was increased to 100 % of the amount spent on maintenance. It's to every RR's benefit to spent on their track at least the amount of the property / rolling stock taxes.

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wyrickj »

So who is really the owner between steelcase & 44th NS or the government? If NS owns it are they paying non RR property taxes? I looked up the row on the kent county gis that's how I came to find out the name Conrail showed up. I know the name exist on paper still.
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

NS is getting the tax bill so I assume they own it and are paying the taxes. Makes sense since it ia portion of Conrail that NS acquired.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Raildudes dad wrote:NS is getting the tax bill so I assume they own it and are paying the taxes. Makes sense since it ia portion of Conrail that NS acquired.
Why would NS still own a piece of right of way that doesn't have rail that at the max is a 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile in length? Seems kind of silly if you ask me. The way things are going with the Thornapple Trail and no possible rail interest being explored there again its likely that it will never see rail again. I'm under the impression that the ROW's that are turned into trails are the ones that people see the most possible of being returned to service again if ever needed. My example would be the PM Rail Trail/State Trail.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Max, Railroads own land all over the country that haven't had active rail lines in years.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/