Discoverys off the beaten path

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
SMRSTM
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Discoverys off the beaten path

Unread post by SMRSTM »

GP9 and others are correct, in fact I vaugely mentioned in my post we are happy to work with folks on getting pics and document history if through proper channels. The individual who posted has issued an apology and I think we should allow this thread to go back to its original topic. I was enjoying the pictures of all the off-the-beaten-track RR finds. I myself wish I had more time to go hunting for these treasures. Ironically, it is in fact the RS1 and cars (and at that time the RS3's) that led me to SMRS originally. I found them one day while scouting fields for a local farmer many, many years ago. I followed the track as best I could up to Clinton and was young and dumb enough to become involved up there. :lol:
So I think we have beaten the proverbial horse enough and before an argument breaks out and Zack has to lock this topic down and we lose the great photo discoveries, let's let it drop and please someone get some more "lost" photos up.

Thank You all for your support
Lance Charter
AA MP 15.68

MichRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MichRails »

In May of 2010, my daughter and her husband were looking at a house west of Holt. (South of Lansing). Out behind the house on the property, was an old passenger car or interurban car. It had apparently been moved there and made into a cabin of sorts. The kids didn't buy the house but I did get some pictures. Here's the link to some of them. https://plus.google.com/photos/10214071 ... 6586221265

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

As lon as this thread has been slightly derailed.... what is the story of that old hopper in Ann Arbor near the amtrak station. it is very perplexing.

figured it was slightly relevent, as it is old and rail locked
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

That old hopper (this is the rumor) is on the old spur that used to service the U of M power plant a long long long time ago. The maps I saw were from the 20's to the 40's that showed the old spur there

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

The spur was east of the Amtrak station and ran up to the power plant, that's just an old coal dock west of the station that was never torn out, the business that was built at 201 Depot bought the hopper from SDI (who are they)? it was then relettered. it's only been there since early 2008.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

ns8401 wrote:The spur was east of the Amtrak station and ran up to the power plant, that's just an old coal dock west of the station that was never torn out, the business that was built at 201 Depot bought the hopper from SDI (who are they)? it was then relettered. it's only been there since early 2008.
Placed there by Bill Martin (former Atletic Director at U of M and owner of the buildings on each side of the hopper). They were going to put two cars up there and repaint them but decided after the first car that the hassle and money was too much.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Don is that hopper actually a D&M car or did they just slap the name on it and call it good?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

for those who have never seen the car:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

TrainWatcher wrote:Don is that hopper actually a D&M car or did they just slap the name on it and call it good?
It arrived with DM 5732 on the side and a build date right around 1960.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

ns8401 wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:Don is that hopper actually a D&M car or did they just slap the name on it and call it good?
It arrived with DM 5732 on the side and a build date right around 1960.
As I mentioned they were going to place two cars on the trestle. Each was going to get some kind of paint job (but I cant recall what those were) but I am thinking one might be for U of M and the other for Bill Martins company, First Martin. But dont quote me on those two cause like I said my memory of that is foggy. Anyway, after going through the hassle, time and cost of moving the first car they said one car as-is was enough.

The owners are not railfans. They thought it would be good marketing to clean up the trestle and put rail cars on it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Some more links

If you break it just walk away and nobody will notice
http://www.travel-images.com/pht/usa908.jpg

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

Yes! The train from "The Fugitive" movie!

BTW, I have reached 100 posts in 3.5 years! MQT3001 can do that in a week! I guess I like to pace myself.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

railroadchoad wrote:BTW, I have reached 100 posts in 3.5 years! MQT3001 can do that in a week! I guess I like to pace myself.
:lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:
railroadchoad wrote:BTW, I have reached 100 posts in 3.5 years! MQT3001 can do that in a week! I guess I like to pace myself.
I did 100 in 3 days once....it was March 28-30 when the Paper Railroads were hoppin 8)

Back to the subject, does anyone know if there is anything left structure-wise at the old LaFarge Mine west of Alpena?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
AARR wrote:
I did 100 in 3 days once....it was March 28-30 when the Paper Railroads were hoppin 8)
Keep it up, fanboy, and you'll catch me in no time. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

MQT3001 wrote:
AARR wrote:

Back to the subject, does anyone know if there is anything left structure-wise at the old LaFarge Mine west of Alpena?
Who gives a poop.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Interesting find with all of those ex-Erie Mining Alco's. Prolly all gone to scrap now.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan