44th St and Kalamazoo Ave Railroad Crossing

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

44th St and Kalamazoo Ave Railroad Crossing

Unread post by pudgy »

Hey all,

I'm looking for photos of the crossing signals that used to guard the crossing at 44th St and Kalamazoo Ave in Kentwood. I know the crossing cantilever is located in Coopersville, but I am looking for any photos of when the system was either still in use, or when it was at least still up before removal. Appreciate anything you guys have.
Just a Fat Guy

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: 44th St and Kalamazoo Ave Railroad Crossing

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

It was a truss that was over 44th, set on "truss" columns. The cantilever signals were for Kalamazoo. Are you sure Robby doesn't have photos of the day we took it down? I know I've seen them. Wet snow, crappy day :(

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

I haven't had a chance to ask Robby yet. I'll check with him. Figured someone out there had a pic of the crossing in operation from when it was Conrail or other. Thanks for the correction, I am looking specifically for photos of the truss over 44th St, but any angle would be great.
Just a Fat Guy

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wyrickj »

Raildudes dad wrote:It was a truss that was over 44th, set on "truss" columns. The cantilever signals were for Kalamazoo. Are you sure Robby doesn't have photos of the day we took it down? I know I've seen them. Wet snow, crappy day :(
Sorry to bring a old thread up but I was curious what year you took them down? I have a faint memory of them and was trying to figure out the year they were taken down.

Also anyone find pics they would be willing to share?

Thanks.
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

I also would like to see photos. I drive on Kalamazoo a lot and always wondered how the signals were configured.
Patrick Welch

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I remember seeing that crossing as a kid and really wanting to see a train there because it was such a wide intersection, it was practically street running! :lol:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:I remember seeing that crossing as a kid and really wanting to see a train there because it was such a wide intersection, it was practically street running! :lol:
What year was it taken out?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

on a side note dose anyone know the symbol Conrail used for the local they used to send out to Steel Case and the Kent industrial park.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

J T wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:I remember seeing that crossing as a kid and really wanting to see a train there because it was such a wide intersection, it was practically street running! :lol:
What year was it taken out?
mid 90's I think... I wanna say when the widened 44th and KZO. Does that sound right RDD?

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

here are two photos I found awhile back showing the crossing at K-ZOO and 44TH street

He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

On a somewhat related note, the bridge for this line over Division St in GR, well, the underpass flooded today:

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2531 ... vision-Ave
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Great photos canpac! Looks like they were both before the truss structure was added to that crossing. It's amazing how much different that area looks today. I see rods next to the rails in the steam photo. Was there a siding in that area at some point, or was it for a signal?

And this was Michigan Central territory, correct?
Just a Fat Guy

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Correct, MC/NYC Grand Rapids to Jackson.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

pudgy wrote:I see rods next to the rails in the steam photo. Was there a siding in that area at some point, or was it for a signal?
I have no first hand knowledge, but it may have been just a 'rod' connected derail. I cannot remember for the life of me where, but I've thrown a switch with a rod connected derail attached. Maybe on the Gary and Western on the IHB in Chicago? Throw the switch, and it threw the derail for you too. No need to walk back and throw the derail once you've lined the switch.

Practice Safe CSX

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

I work at the Post Office just east of there. It seems like the overhead signals finally came down about 8-10 years ago when they turned 44th St into a boulevard between Kalamazoo Ave and Eastern Ave and rebuilt the intersection. Probably lasted close to 20 years after the last train rolled through.

RJB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RJB »

The MC Michigan Division ETT of April 1941 shows a siding at Bowen with 18 car capacity. The April 1947 ETT does not list a siding there, but shows a company telephone in a booth at that location. There is a recent book about Kentwood history showing a couple of photos looking west on 44th St.,one from 1973, and one from c.1979 showing the truss signals. There was a link to a page about the book on the Godwin's Past website, but the link has been taken down. The page showed all of the pictures in the book. The price of the book is $25 and is available at most of the bookstores.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

canpac08 wrote:here are two photos I found awhile back showing the crossing at K-ZOO and 44TH street

The billboard is still there and the Marathon is now a Speedway.

This would make an interesting then-and-now comparison, but unfortunately the ROW is overgrown so much that a shot like this is not possible.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

44th from Eastern to east of Kazoo was built in 1996. The signals would have been removed in late 1995. I do remember the day well. Heavy wet snow. I wore a rain jacket over my coat and got soaked from mid thighs down :( Robby Robbins has photos of the removal in his C&M scrapbook.

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Raildudes dad wrote:44th from Eastern to east of Kazoo was built in 1996. The signals would have been removed in late 1995. I do remember the day well. Heavy wet snow. I wore a rain jacket over my coat and got soaked from mid thighs down :( Robby Robbins has photos of the removal in his C&M scrapbook.
I only got to see the track in place and I can remember when they cut it back just short of the intersection there. Twas a shame I never got to see a steelcase local move around there...
Btw I grew up in the apartments over there. Got many stories from that place.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

kenN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kenN »

"The billboard is still there and the Marathon is now a Speedway."

The Marathon station was on the west side of Kalamazoo Ave, and after it closed, it became a dry cleaners, I think. The Speedway is on the north-east corner of the intersection. The Shell station on the southwest corner is now gone as well.