Last train to Morenci Mi?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Last train to Morenci Mi?

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Been gone a LONG TIME, but anyone know when they last ran to Morenci? (not sure if I'm spelling that correct). Was it Lenawee County RR, or ADBF?

Todd

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Last train to Morenci Mi?

Unread post by AARR »

Todd Cline wrote:Been gone a LONG TIME, but anyone know when they last ran to Morenci? (not sure if I'm spelling that correct). Was it Lenawee County RR, or ADBF?

Todd
My guess would be early 1980's. There was a plant there that got paint(?) in box cars. Might have been a few other smaller granger customers too (fertilizer, grain & lumber). I don't know what came first thought: Did the customers stop shipping by rail or did the washout end service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

AARR wrote:
Todd Cline wrote:Been gone a LONG TIME, but anyone know when they last ran to Morenci? (not sure if I'm spelling that correct). Was it Lenawee County RR, or ADBF?

Todd
My guess would be early 1980's. There was a plant there that got paint(?) in box cars. Might have been a few other smaller granger customers too (fertilizer, grain & lumber). I don't know what came first thought: Did the customers stop shipping by rail or did the washout end service.
Washout was first, track to Grovesner was put out of service by LCRC.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

ns8401 wrote:Washout was first, track to Grovesner was put out of service by LCRC.
Did LCRC use the back door to Morenci for a while via N&W trackage rights from Adrian to Leaf to Bimo to Morenci?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

The washout occurred following a storm that took place in late 1981 or early 1982. I believe it was near Jasper. LCRC abandoned the trackage between Grosvenor and Weston following the washout. In order to maintain service to Morenci, LCRC purchased the part of DT&I's former Tecumseh Branch between Leaf and Bimo, along with trackage rights over the N&W between Adrian and Leaf in order to access these trackage rights. Bimo-Leaf was the only track LCRC ever owned. Parker Rustproofing was the biggest customer in Morenci. I don't know when the last run to Morenci took place, but I think the railroad kept serving Morenci until very close to the time they ended service in late September, 1990. I rode what was probably the second to the last run of the LCRC in mid-September, 1990, during which the crew told me lots of good stories, including having to make sure the windows were closed on the Alco during a Morenci branch run, in order to keep the overhanging branches and brush from entering the cab.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Akzo had a place in Weston that received a couple tank cars each week. Did LCRC service them after the washout using the back door?

TraintrackGal
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TraintrackGal »

So is it true that "Last Train To Morenci" was the original title of the Monkees' hit "Last Train To Clarksville"? :wink: :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist......

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I don't seem to remember rail service in the late 80s or early 90s. My father lived there from 77 til present. I spent alot of time there as well. If anything was still getting cars it was the fertilizer plant. But, I still don't remember anything. I will ask my father for more information. He was township supervisor of Seneca township which the line ran through.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

I thought Stauffer was the chemical company in Weston, but I could be wrong. As for service to Weston post-washout, I believe they did. The reason I say this is the location of LCRC #1 when it was abandoned in deep snow on the Morenci branch in 1982. This was near Weston. As the crew told me the story in September, 1990 Alco S-2 #1 bogged down in deep snow on the Morenci Branch near Weston. The locomotive wouldn't move, so the decision was made to leave it there until it could be dug out at a later date. The crew told management that they needed time to drain the water from the prime mover, so it wouldn't freeze after it was shut down. Management didn't want to pay overtime, though so #1 was abandoned near Weston without the benefit of having its engine block drained. As predicted the water froze, the block cracked, and when the engine was retrieved it ended up as a parts source in Adrian, instead of a functional locomotive.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

TraintrackGal wrote:So is it true that "Last Train To Morenci" was the original title of the Monkees' hit "Last Train To Clarksville"? :wink: :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist......
Just so you aren't left hanging........ :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

jimnorthwood wrote:I thought Stauffer was the chemical company in Weston, but I could be wrong.
Maybe it was both, you know how chemical companies, like paper compaines, sell plants back and forth to each other.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

http://www.trainweb.org/chlopak/

The above link gives a good account of LCRC operations including the Morenci Branch.