What is it?

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

What is it?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Whats that thing over the tracks (not the train :P )
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: What is it?

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

That's a gate at an interlocking. No signals at the diamond there at Hackley, just the gate. It was normally lined for C&O/CSX. When MS would come through, they swing the gate 'open' across the CSX tracks like you see in the picture and then once they've crossed, they line it back. In this shot, it's basically a stop sign/signal if a CSX train should approach.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC they had those gates at Clifford, MI too and I want to say Clare after Chessie abandoned the line.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:That's a gate at an interlocking.
Not to get nit picky, if its not tied into a signal system on the other road, its not an 'interlocking' then. You're right that it is a 'gated crossing'. Interlockings mean you can't have conflicting routes at the same time, the 'protection' was interlocked to prevent such a thing. Either mechanically or electrically. In this case, its unsignalled, thus a non-interlocked crossing. If you're a student of railroad history or railroad technology, I highly recommend seeing how the old mechanical interlocking beds work. Truely, the computers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries and 'space age' technology.

However, a lot of the time, those gates *would* be tied into the intersecting line's signals. While not a true 'interlocking' in the traditional sense, they would at least drop the signals to restricted proceed on either side of them while the gate was 'open'. An example of this was the CNW's KD line crossing the MILW Williams Bay line in Northern Illinois. Tower was removed, absolute signals removed, and a gate was installed on the CNW that was tied into the MILW ABS signals. When the CNW crossed, they'd check for cross traffic, 'open' the gate (dropping the signals on the MILW), wait the prescribed time, then proceed. If a train showed up on the MILW during the prescribed time, they closed the gate and waited for it to pass. This carries on in the current era with the 'wait time' before occupying the main at a switch that isn't controlled by the dispatcher. Check for traffic, open up, wait the allotted time, then occupy the main.

In the case of unsignaled lines, both roads would have to come up to the location prepared to stop but in this case C&O/CSX would be able to continue on without stopping if the gate was not set against their movement.

In a more modern example, Brighton Park was another example of a non-interlocked crossing. All trains approached and stopped, and the signals by the switch tenders shack would then indicate which route had authority to proceed. I don't know if the blades were interlocked to keep from allowing a move on the Alton to coincide with a signal being lined for either the PRR, CJ, or B&OCT. I don't *think* they were (could definitely be wrong on that), so it was entirely up to the switch tender to keep his/her due diligence. The signals weren't interlocked between the roads on the approaches either, so it was possible to have conflicting movements lined thru Brighton Park at the same time. So, it was possible to get a signal on the B&OCT (et al) into the 'side' of a train at Brighton Park. If you were sitting side by side with another train going the same direction, the switch tender would raise a lantern or give a 'ahead' signal to the train they wanted to proceed.

Practice Safe CSX

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

They are also referred to as "smash boards".
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

There were a set of gates on the PRR/ PM crossing at Kerry, MI. Better known to all of us as Traverse City. The gates were just east of the depot along Woodmere Ave. south of 8th St. The masts for the gates are still present. I took photos of them earlier this summer. Historic photos on Michiganrailroads.com

I think smash boards were a bit different than gates, although the performed the same function. Smash boards were wooden and designed to break upon impact so the crew knew they hit something. Gates would swing out of the way upon impact with hopefully minor damage.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

trnwatcher wrote:They are also referred to as "smash boards".
Eh, I guess.

Smash board were usually a large wooden paddle mounted on some form of a mechanism to raise and lower them. Semaphore cases a lot of the time. Gave absolute proof if a signal had been 'run'. Problem was, if it had been run, you have to replace it immediately, or a following train may not stop if they are required to.

Practice Safe CSX

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Last time I was in Vassar (a couple years ago) there were still gates at the diamond just south of the depot.
Norm

JCinSummerfield
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JCinSummerfield »

There's a diamond in Toledo, OH controlled by a 4-way stop.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Durand for a long time was controlled like this

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

There is still one of these in use in Michigan. Where the ELS crosses the now WC in Escanaba to get from the Car Shops up to the engine facility in Wells. All non signaled territory. It may even all be considered Yard Limits. It is on the WC between Alogoma Jct and the split off at the Ore Yard.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Fullerton Jct on the West Detroit Branch has stop signs for the Conrail and CSX at the diamond.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Reese, Michigan.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Track guys working behind you? It looks like there is a portable Derail flag in the foreground.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

It's a stop sign, designed to stop a locomotive. :wink:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

4-way stop in Sturgis on the MSO:

After the tower was removed here, I believe there was a gate installation before something happened to it and they went for the simple stop-sign approach.

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

GTW6401 wrote:Reese, Michigan.

So the tilting target signal that was there is gone now?