Interurban relics around here......

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Interurban relics around here......

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I'm familiar with the GR-Kzoo, BC-Allegan line that was abandoned in 1928 I believe, There were some remnants of that here in B.C. in my youth. Sadly no trace of them remain today. There is a spot just east of Augusta along the NS line where the old B.C.-Allegan line had a trestle over the M.C. Used to be able to drive your car along the grade to the site, but now it's all blocked off. We used to go there to watch NYC/PC action in the old days. I recall in downtown B.C. there was a section of track that ran down the middle of Hamblin St. that used to be part of the old interurban. Looking at old maps, it was going past the depot and ending up at the car barn. Looking at old "Sanborn Maps" at the library I see the old route, now totally obliterated by "Urban Renewal". I see what has replaced those historical places, and I'm not impressed. There is a photo in one of our local history books showing the old "Hi-Lo" tavern where Del Shannon first played his hit "Runaway". It clearly shows the old interurban track alongside the hotel. Today there is a generic "Historical Marker" several hundred feet away from where it should really be, only mentions Del Shannon, No mention of the interurban.
Oh well, I have plenty of places where the old interurban still has some presense. Go to an area just south of Martin MI. look to the east from old 131. (10th st.). When you see the cemetary on the west side of the road you are very close. Take a left there and you are at the fabled Montieth Junction. Still very visible, best in springtime when the vegetation hasn't gotten all overgrown. Don't let the nearby farmhouses scare you. The interurban ROW is property of Consumers Energy.
Between Shelbyville and Bradley the old KZOO-GR route is less accesable, therefore more old artifacts are still there. Also, for someone that dosen't mind really blazing a trail, the old line to Allegan is accesable off 12th st just south of M-222. I have found lots of old 3rd rail insulators along that section.

Todd

kalvin1
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Interurban relics around here......

Unread post by kalvin1 »

Out between Aurban Hills and Metamora theres an old abandoned trolley grade. You can see it from N Lapeer road or route 24.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Two notobal places I can find traces of, are the line from Saginaw to Flint. You can follow that one 90% of the way, starting in Bridgeport, anf following Dixie Hwy, south to Maple Rd. then it follows along side Maple into town and along the CSX tracks. From there it is never more then 50' away from the CSX all the way to Mt. Morris. At one point, you could follow some of the ROW from the Junction at Junction Rd, out to Frankenmuth, but most it now gone. The other one is comming into Lansing from Shaftsburgh, and into East Lansing, there are a few spots the old ROW can be fround in peoples front yards.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

kalvin1 wrote:Out between Aurban Hills and Metamora theres an old abandoned trolley grade. You can see it from N Lapeer road or route 24.
That was not a trolley grade. It was the Michigan Central/New York Central from Detroit to Bay City. It went through Rochester, Metamora, Lapeer, Vassar, and then to Bay City. Almost all of it is now abandoned. There's a small part of it in Lapeer, and another that runs North from Millingtn.
Norm

kalvin1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kalvin1 »

oww well atleast I what it realy is now :oops:

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ypsi-Ann Interurban Trackage in Downtown Ypsialanti stll visable.... Can follow it to the Ford/Visteon Plnt near 94 and the connection near the NS Michigan Line.... Michigans FIRST Interurban.....

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

James- All the that trackage was torn out in 2006.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! And I wanted to go downtown this winter and get some photos..... :x :( :(

Add Ypsi-Ann to the "Gone Forever" List....

What company tore out the track???

tazer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tazer »

Today I came across a page from the Kalamazoo Gazette dated Sunday December 28 1969 (page 52)
It is titled "Gone, But Not Forgotten" it takes up 3/4 of the page with 4 photographs. It is a article about the Interurban with personal accounts by the people from the area that used it.
There is a editor's note that says ;
This is an addendum to the series on the history of Kalamazoo County's Interurbans which have appeared in Sunday editions of The Gazette for the past four weeks. Included are many facts, stories,pictures and memories Kalamazoo area residents have contributed about the speedy electric cars.

I thought it was interesting and decided to share the information in case someone might want to look up those copies of the Gazette if they are interested and have not done so all ready
Hopefully the Gazette is archived somewhere

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

On the way from Lansing to Jackson on the B-28, if you know where to look, you can pretty much trace the old Interurban from Mason to Jackson, especially from just north of Rives Jct, ie Territorial Rd on in to Jackson.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Just west of Kalamazoo, on I-94, just east of the exit for Mattawan, look for a grade with an electric pole line intersecting the highway at about a 30 degree angle. That is the old K.L.S.&C. aka. Fruit Belt, aka. Old Michigan Central mainline. Lots of history on that line is explained in the book "All Aboard" by Willis Dunbar. Another relic of the past.... Rails are still in from Paw Paw to Hartford though, for now anyway.....

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Is the interurban bridge over the CSX main line in Grand Rapids still in place? And isn't some of the NS trackage at the Padnos yard in GR former interurban track?

Five years ago or so there were still a couple metal poles in parchment along the interurban ROW, they looked like miniature yard light towers. Were these for carrying catenary?

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

Here's some interesting info about the Interurban in this area, although I can't answer your questions, lol.

AFAIK, the lines in padnos came from GR&I, I think. Someone may be able to correct me on that. It was the same line as the Kent trails is now on.

http://godwin.bobanna.com/iii.html
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

UncleRaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by UncleRaul »

Todd Cline wrote: Oh well, I have plenty of places where the old interurban still has some presense. Go to an area just south of Martin MI. look to the east from old 131. (10th st.). When you see the cemetary on the west side of the road you are very close. Take a left there and you are at the fabled Montieth Junction. Still very visible, best in springtime when the vegetation hasn't gotten all overgrown. Don't let the nearby farmhouses scare you. The interurban ROW is property of Consumers Energy.
Between Shelbyville and Bradley the old KZOO-GR route is less accesable, therefore more old artifacts are still there. Also, for someone that dosen't mind really blazing a trail, the old line to Allegan is accesable off 12th st just south of M-222. I have found lots of old 3rd rail insulators along that section.
Todd
Wait, you mean that grade going across that weird lake near the speedway was an interurban? did you pick up any of these insulators? If so, pics please!

Ahh, I see it now! DT&M, later interurban. One of these towns has an old interurban station being used as a library. I'm looking for it, I'll let you know when I find it again. The InterUrban Building in Kalamazoo is really cool, and the top apartment/office is for rent, if you're interested! Ten times more spectacular is the old interurban station in Kalamazoo. It lives on as (correct me if i'm wrong) a National City bank.

Just for clarity's sake, the Chicago Kalamazoo and Lakeshore was planned as an interurban, but this never went through. The grade mentioned in a previous post is accessible from the southwest corner of the park in Oshtemo on 9th street. It's a nice walk, aIthough believe the land is owned by Consumers.