Places to watch flat switching

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Places to watch flat switching

Unread post by Shorthaul »

Are there any good locations to watch yard jobs "kick" cars in the S.E. Mich. area?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Places to watch flat switching

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

They do it at both Rougemere and Oakwood Yard. For Rougemere, the area near the corner of Industrial/Vernor and Ferney is the place to go. The UAW lot there says for UAW parking only, but I haven't had a problem unless there is an event going on.

For Oakwood, you should be able to see them switching from the Park & Ride lot at the corner of Outer Drive and Allen Road.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Occasionally, you can see cars being kicked at CN in Pontiac on the north end, but this is an ever increasing rarity.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Doktor No coordinates the kicks 5 nights a week at the west end of the Wyoming yard(Grand Rapids)

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

GP30M4216 wrote: For Oakwood, you should be able to see them switching from the Park & Ride lot at the corner of Outer Drive and Allen Road.
Do U have to pay to watch there? How often does it happen? And finally, what is the name of the NS line that begins at this yard and runs Southeast?

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

Raildudes dad wrote:Doktor No coordinates the kicks 5 nights a week at the west end of the Wyoming yard(Grand Rapids)
Oh sure, the end we can't really get to, lol
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

mikerm19 wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:Doktor No coordinates the kicks 5 nights a week at the west end of the Wyoming yard(Grand Rapids)
Oh sure, the end we can't really get to, lol
Huh? Lamar is pretty accessible. There are 2 large dirt lots you can park in. CSX guys have told me as long as I park on the hill and not down next to the tracks (beyond the no tresspassing signs), I won't be bothered. I've taken many shots from next to the tracks at Lamar and have never gotten anymore than a friendly wave.

"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Do U have to pay to watch there? How often does it happen? And finally, what is the name of the NS line that begins at this yard and runs Southeast?
No, you dont have to pay for that parking lot. The Detroit Line runs through the Wyandotte area and then down to Monroe and Toledo.

Rougemere Yard is good for watching the genset switch in the morning and its right down the street from I-94 and Michigan Avenue.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

whatever yardjob currently working Ensel yd in Lansing surely kicks cars....few years ago it was y302 and went to work at 10 pm......now i dunno...
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Garrett, Indiana has access to the north side of the east end of the yard at the model railroad club parking lot. Easy access from Michigan, too, via I-69 just a few miles from town.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

GTW6401 wrote:
Rougemere Yard is good for watching the genset switch in the morning and its right down the street from I-94 and Michigan Avenue.
What time does the yard job go on duty? Any trouble from locals or cops there?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

There's a union parking lot on the west side and some parking lots on the east side that should be ok for you to watch from. I haven't been there in a while but I've never had any trouble.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Recently, someone was loading construction debris into cars staged at the south end of Ferry passing siding.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Don Simon wrote:Recently, someone was loading construction debris into cars staged at the south end of Ferry passing siding.
You talking about in A2?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

You talking about in A2?
Yes, the day I was there seven cars were being loaded.