HO Scale Code Line

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

HO Scale Code Line

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I've been acquiring code line poles for my HO Scale layout for some time now. They are still spaced on their molded stands, but I'm getting ready to drill some holes so I can cut off the bases and mount them more perminantly (thus finally ending their falling over every time I walk by.) I realize in cities and narrow places, poles were spaced differently than when there was lots of space out in the open, and I intend to model them that way. However, does anyone know what the standard distance was between code line poles when they were spaced, and what distance that translates to for an HO layout? Thanks!

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Model Railroader(2006 "How To Build Realistic Layouts") says that on real railroads the poles are on average 100 to 150 feet apart, no closer than 13 feet from the nearest rail and the bottom wires should be at least 27 feet off the ground (I know that last one isn't always right in real life). So on your layout that translates too 13.7-20.6 inches between poles, 1.8 inches from the nearest rail and 3.7 inches from your ground to the bottom code line.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

definetly not the code in railroading, I know of a few places where lawnmorers at apartment complexes have to watch their heads or they will decapitate themselves on those speedy Zero-Turn mowers.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Getting your pole mounted

Unread post by esprrfan »

What I'd do to mount them is drill a shallow mounting hole say maybe like 1/8 deep the size of the pole. Then with a smaller drill in the center of the mounting hole drill all the way through. In the shank of the pole drill a little hole and glue a piece of string, as you mount the poles pass the string to the underside of the tabletop. Tie a fishing sinker to the string hanging down. This way if you ever bomp your poles they won't break off they'll just lean in and the sinker will upright them again. Worse case you knock it out of the hole, but it won't be broke you just stand it back up.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Thanks guys for your replies. Jon, I don't know why I didn't look in that Model Railroader in the first place, my copy is just sitting on the shelf. But thanks for doing all the math for me. I know that if you space the poles slightly closer together, it gives a greater impression of distance, so I'm going to go a bit closer that the 100 foot average and shoot for closer to 70 feet. ESPRRFAN, that's a very innovative idea. I think I'll give it a shot on a couple of poles and see how it works. Gotta find my tackle box for some line and sinkers ;). I'll take some photos when the project is done and let you know how it turned out. If anyone else has any input, please feel free to share!

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

At our club, we drill a small hole, just smaller than the diameter of the telephone pole. We cut the base of the telephone pole off, and run it in a pencil sharpener (just to give it a tiny bit of taper). Then you can push it in the hole easily, and usually, it'll pop out if you bump it. Although if you make it too tight, it will snap off.