UP SD60M's at Durand

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

UP SD60M's at Durand

Unread post by bnsfben »

Yesterday on 501, the power was a IC dash 8, CN SD75I, UP SD60M, UP SD60M. The SD60M's had flaired radiators and were in primer paint (the radiators). I have never seen this. Is this something like a SD60M-2 or SD60MR? Any/all information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: UP SD60M's at Durand

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Sounds like the SD59-2's that GMD & UP have been working on (see page 15 here) http://www.canadianrailwayobservations. ... O_0510.PDF
Basically they're re-engined SD60M's with the 12 cylinder emissions compliant EMD engine replacing the 16 cyl. non-compliant original prime mover.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

These are SD32ECOs, aka SD59M-2s coming back from rebuilding at London. They will head south to NLR-Jenks to be repainted/renumbered. New 3200hp, Tier II compliant 710 prime mover, microprocessor controls and more. Atleast 5 are already at Jenks; 2473, 2489, 2497, 2511 and 2520.

Geoffrey Williams photo-
Last edited by Mr. Tops on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Interesting they'rederating them to 3000hp. But it's a power that has worked for EMD since 1966.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

AARR wrote:Interesting they'rederating them to 3000hp. But it's a power that has worked for EMD since 1966.
Technically, they're not derating them; they are getting a brand new prime mover, which has 4 less cylinders and is much more fuel efficient.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:
AARR wrote:Interesting they'rederating them to 3000hp. But it's a power that has worked for EMD since 1966.
Technically, they're not derating them; they are getting a brand new prime mover, which has 4 less cylinders and is much more fuel efficient.
I'm sure they thought of this, but is the decrease in emissions and fuel consumption enough to make up for the lack of HP, and the need to add another locomotive? Say, you had a train that needed 12000 hp for it, which would be 3 4000hp units (standard UP SD70M). Is the fuel savings enough with the 3000 hp unts, that having to add another to get the same HP isn't going to result in more fuel consumed?

Practice Safe CSX

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

It must be worth it, otherwise CSX would not be doing it, and CSX would never do anything dumb. Like take away 400 horse from Gevos, and 600 to 800 horse from SD50's. Oh and 1000 horse from GP40-2's.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

These pups will probably end up working locals and other light service that SD70Ms and beat-to-hell SD40-2s are working right now; and when we have 1500 locomotives in storage, I don't think we'll have a shortage of horsepower anytime soon. :wink: Spend a buck to save a quarter making the tree huggers happy.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

Has UP 2335 got it yet? I saw that unit in Michigan a few months ago on a NS W32 I was told it had some sort of
"Tri-clops" cab on it. Had three windows or something

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

CharlieX90 wrote:Has UP 2335 got it yet? I saw that unit in Michigan a few months ago on a NS W32 I was told it had some sort of
Nope, still a true SD60M. 2335 is a Phase I SD60M with the old style cab, which had a more square nose and 3 cab windows. UP 2240-2423 have the same style cab, as well the SOO SD60Ms and early BN ones.

Here's a good shot of one up close: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=269337

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

Mr. Tops wrote:
CharlieX90 wrote:Has UP 2335 got it yet? I saw that unit in Michigan a few months ago on a NS W32 I was told it had some sort of
Nope, still a true SD60M. 2335 is a Phase I SD60M with the old style cab, which had a more square nose and 3 cab windows. UP 2240-2423 have the same style cab, as well the SOO SD60Ms and early BN ones.

Here's a good shot of one up close: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=269337
ah i see Thanks for the info Good to have you around more often for this kind of stuff :)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CharlieX90 wrote:ah i see Thanks for the info Good to have you around more often for this kind of stuff :)
Same here guys. I love all the inside info on the hows and whys railroads do things :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

[quote="sd70accsxt700"]It must be worth it, otherwise CSX would not be doing it, and CSX would never do anything dumb. [quote]

The other side of the coin is they have to do dumb things because the Government is mandating it.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:The other side of the coin is they have to do dumb things because the Government is mandating it.

Practice Safe CSX
Ring the bell...we have a winner :)

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:It must be worth it, otherwise CSX would not be doing it, and CSX would never do anything dumb.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bottom text.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

That'd be a great site......if it had been updated at some point in the past 5 years. Look at the dates of the events on that page...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

The other side of the coin is they have to do dumb things because the Government is mandating it.
Where did you get that from? Hardly, goverment has nothing to do with CSX downgrading HP on there locos. If they did everyone else would be having to do it too. Goverment regulations on emmissions is not a CSX exclusive thing. CSX is doing it to supposidly save fuel, and not as much beating up on the loco.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
Where did you get that from? Hardly, goverment has nothing to do with CSX downgrading HP on there locos. If they did everyone else would be having to do it too. Goverment regulations on emmissions is not a CSX exclusive thing. CSX is doing it to supposidly save fuel, and not as much beating up on the loco.
What rock have you been hiding under? All this emissions controls is over the hoax of global warming. That's what's dumb about the policies.

You're right that it's more than just CSX that's swept up in all this nonsense. Every industrial related industry in the U.S. is affected. In the mean time other countries who do not buy into the propaganda that man is the primary cause of climate change (at least it's now called what it properly is) industrial bases surges ahead.