Did somebody order some coils?? (short CSX train w/pictures)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Did somebody order some coils?? (short CSX train w/pictures)

Unread post by J T »

I was out south of Holland today setting up near the CSX line and heard a horn off in the distance. I got excited as I prepared to get a long freight on my favorite set of curves to photograph. Instead, this is what came rolling along. As the train got closer, I could see the engineer trying to figure out what I was doing there in the middle of nowhere, and when he realized I was taking pictures, he tooted the horn a couple of times, waved and had a big smile on his face as he passed. I guess that's better than being yelled at! :lol:

Anyone have any idea where he was taking this load of metal coils, south of Holland? By the way, that engine was spiffy clean and new looking. Must have just recently gotten a new paint job.

Last edited by J T on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Your pics are freakin awEsome man.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

JT, the train you saw was CSX D700, which is a local train running from Benton Harbor to Holland and back. The 2665 was just repainted last month, and it's been working the D700 since it was moved up here.
I echo what Scott said. GREAT PICTURES!!!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the info! :D

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Friendly crew they do have on that D700 run. Most excellent photos.. probably not possible after the shrubs grow during the rest of the year, not positive though. I guess those mentions of trading in the 70-200 to a 100-400 was a good thought, eh?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

These most likely came from sawyer
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Arlington Metals - Sawyer, MI

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

JT, the train you saw was CSX D700, which is a local train running from Benton Harbor to Holland and back.
Actually, it's the other way around again...Holland to Benton Harbor and back. They can't make up their mind whether to keep it at BH or Holland.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Yeah Great pictures, I don't know why I can view them since they are on Zacks, site, but Great shots!!!!!
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

#2665 looks awesome in Dark Future. Better than the old YN2 it HAD on it.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Railfan James wrote:#2665 looks awesome in Dark Future. Better than the old YN2 it HAD on it.
Is that what they call that blue? I really like it, too, and it shines up nicely.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Yes JT, the #2665 is in the new "dark Future" scheme. The old Gray, blue, and yellow was YN2,a nd the Gray with light blue lettering and areas was YN1. She looks great though... they always do a good job with their Geeps.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Here is a photo of #2665 on one of the first days it was on the D700 job. Freshly painted CSX GP38-2 #2665 leads four cars of local train D700 past the vintage depot at Watervliet, MI, on CSXT's Grand Rapids Subdivision. The station probably dates from before the PM era and was a combination freight house/passenger depot. Today, it is still used by CSX (one of a few depots still used by them around the state) as a base for the Signal Department and Track Maintenance. The first car on D700 is a BNSF reefer picked up in Hartford. D700 is based at Benton Harbor. 12/18/2006.

Somewhere I have some other photos of D700 from about a year ago at Bangor and St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. I'll have to find them and post them. Seems like the train was longer then - often 10 or 12 cars.

Also - is it true that D700 is again based out of Holland instead of Benton Harbor?

Finally - I can't agree more - the CSX dark future/Scheme 7/YN3 paint scheme looks great... when it's clean! I wish CSX would reopen the loco washer at Wyoming - A lot of scheme 6 GP38-2s look miserable up this way, mostly from rust, but also because they haven't had a good bath in a while. Scheme 7 units are the same too. If they are really dirty, they don't look nearly so good. It's neat that the #2665 went right up to west Michigan after her repaint.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

I totally agree. Look at some of the Gevo's on the Plymouth Div. and Toldeo Div. They could use a good washing.....

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

CSX local job D700 is shown at Benton Harbor, MI on the CSX Grand Rapids Subdivision. This is the cut of cars they are bringing down from Waverly Yard in Holland. The first two coil cars are bound for Arlington Metals in Sawyer, MI. Some cars have already been switched out/picked up from industries between Holland the Benton Harbor. The B-H yard office and scale house are just out of view to the right here, and Benton Harbor yard is just behind the photographer. I believe the total car count this day was 13. 1-27-06

Freshly repainted GP38-2 #2554 leads a northbound edition of CSX local turn job D700 from Benton Harbor, MI on 2-17-06. They are shown kicking up snow on a partly sunny afternoon at Gross Passing Siding, just south of Bangor, MI. This local serves all industries between B-H and Holland, and south of Benton Harbor as well. Note the classic cement whistle post. Car count this day: 8.

It's really too bad they don't run with their Chessie caboose any more on the trip up to Holland and back...

(it makes much more sense for me to post it on this thread where it actually belongs! lol)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote: (it makes much more sense for me to post it on this thread where it actually belongs! lol)
:lol: Yeah, I wondered about that. :wink:

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Still I love that dark Future. It looks good. Where is that engine wash in Wyoming?