New business for the LS&I or CN??

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

New business for the LS&I or CN??

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

If you have not heard there is a new mine that is to be built in the upper peninsula near big bay (Marquette area) from what i have heard they will be transporting the ore to a loading site for the LS&I or the CN to ship. has anyone else heard about this?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: New business for the LS&I or CN??

Unread post by AARR »

JANGAJONGA wrote:If you have not heard there is a new mine that is to be built in the upper peninsula near big bay (Marquette area) from what i have heard they will be transporting the ore to a loading site for the LS&I or the CN to ship. has anyone else heard about this?
There's a thread around here some where. Between the two minerals they'll be mining it should add up to about 6 carloads per week of new business.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

JANGAJONGA wrote: There's a thread around here some where. Between the two minerals they'll be mining it should add up to about 6 carloads per week of new business.

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/conte ... 45401.html Link

Excerpts of interest:

1. According to Kennecott officials, the Eagle Mine is expected to produce separate nickel and copper concentrates containing an average of 17,300 metric tons of nickel and 13,200 metric tons of copper each year over six years.

2.Work building the mine is expected to be completed in 2013, with extraction processes scheduled to begin late that year.

Lawsuits could slow it down:
Link http://www.miningjournal.net/page/conte ... 46043.html
Mine opponents filed another lawsuit, their seventh, in Washtenaw County Circuit Court in Ann Arbor. This is in response to the administrative decision by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality regarding the contested case hearings. That decision affirmed validity of the permits that were issued, allowing the company to proceed with mine construction.

Because Kennecott regards this move as judge shopping, they filed a motion for a change of venue to Ingham County Circuit Court. That is the only court in Michigan that has the staff to evaluate the technical information submitted in these cases and is usually where they are heard.
http://www.miningjournal.net/page/conte ... 45901.html EPA supports

Recently, the city of Marquette and Marquette Township announced their support for the Woodland Road to keep additional heavy truck traffic out of their jurisdictions. However, because of local politics, they took pains to emphasize that while they support the road, they do not support the mine.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

When this mine moves its first pebble I will be surprised. While in Big Bay last year at the local post office/ store/ doctors/ gas station I talked with the resident working the counter, the whole town is for the mine for the jobs it will bring them. It is the people that have the cabins and the idiots that live in Ann Arbor err I mean the south harbor of Marquette that are putting such a bad image on this mine.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I am no legal expert, but I can't see how this can be filed in Washtenaw County.

Based on the lawsuit's grounds I can see only 3 locations it can be filed.

First is the location of the mine.

Second is the location of the owner of the mine (The only way Washtenaw County could be the source is if the mines owners are based in AA).

Third is the location of the Michigan Department of Natrtueal Resouces and Enviromental , the government organization that made the decision (Was DEQ before departments were merged).

This is why the change of venue request has been filed. The suit should be moved to Ingham County because that is where the DNRE is headquartered.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

A prime example of hippies getting in the way of progress
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

SMRGUY wrote:the idiots that live in Ann Arbor
SMRGUY wrote:A prime example of hippies getting in the way of progress
Way to put a positive face out there on behalf of the SMR.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Its his opinion, not the SMRS's opinion. Just because he has SMR in his name dosen't mean everything he says is on behalf of the SMRS.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Clay320 wrote:
Ben Higdon wrote:
Its his opinion, not the SMRS's opinion. Just because he has SMR in his name dosen't mean everything he says is on behalf of the SMRS.
I understand. I meant to point out its not a benefit to an organization like the SMR to seemingly associate yourself with them while calling names. I'm sorry for not making that clear! I've been looking for an opportunity to make it down there to go on one of the rides, but the work schedule makes it difficult.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

I understand. I meant to point out its not a benefit to an organization like the SMR to seemingly associate yourself with them while calling names. I'm sorry for not making that clear! I've been looking for an opportunity to make it down there to go on one of the rides, but the work schedule makes it difficult.
Ok I see what you mean. Ill call off the dogs. :wink:

Steel Inferno
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Steel Inferno »

SMRGUY wrote:When this mine moves its first pebble I will be surprised. While in Big Bay last year at the local post office/ store/ doctors/ gas station I talked with the resident working the counter, the whole town is for the mine for the jobs it will bring them. It is the people that have the cabins and the idiots that live in Ann Arbor err I mean the south harbor of Marquette that are putting such a bad image on this mine.
Ah yes, another example of the wonderful tree huggers from out of the local area spoiling potential jobs. :roll: I wouldn't be at all surprised if Miss treehugger Granholm is opposed to the mine as well. :evil: :evil:
Clean Coal = Michigan Jobs
http://www.americaspower.org

Mick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mick »

While I think an 'environmenatlly friendly' approach is valuable, it is my opinion that the environmentalist lobby is not interested in helping to ensure safe mining---they will only be satisfied if this mine is somehow 'banned'.
You don't get to choose where mineral deposits are. You have to use all the technology available to "use resources wisely"...A quote from my high school Natural Resources teacher. And I think we have the resources to reasonably ensure that profitable mining can take place without destroying the environment...and if we don't, we should develop them. It's (Again, my opinion) simply un-American to say, "Oooo...We can't do that..." I mean, what if the Wright Brothers' Mom had said, "Orville, Wilbur---Man was not meant to fly! You boys knock that crap off and get back in the barn and build more bicycles and buggies!"?
Back in the early 1980's when I worked for the Marquette & Huron Mountain RR, the railroad's owner, John Zerbel, shared this bit of insight with a green-horn fireman: "I won't live long enough to see it, but you just might. There are nickel, copper and uranium deposits under the Yellow Dog Plains. [Apparently he was hip to some geologic studies that were conducted by MTU in the 1960's] If they can come up with the technology to get that stuff out of there while turning a profit, this right-of-way [The M&HM] will be the only way to get access to it. This could be very valuable land some day!"
Apparently, Mr. Zerbel was spot on. Unfortunately, upon his death his heirs did not see the long-term potential for the old ROW. It was broken up and sold off, and a very expensive road is now being built from the Humbolt Mine location north to The Plains.

Mick
"Jump Sim, and save yourself!"
---Casey Jones' last words to fireman Sim Webb

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Posted by Tom Train on 7/17/2014, 3:31 pm

What is visible (Ishpeming) is a long string of new or newly painted gons in the yard. They have white plastic covers with a Ecolab label on the top of the cover. They are MWCX 200000 series. The only one I could see was MWCX 200088. Could not see .a build date. Maybe the good doctor or one of you others could trace MWCX200088. These gons are likely for the Humboldt mill. Ore shipments to the mill is scheduled to start receiving ore in 65 days.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

If I remember right the 200000 cars Mr. AA seen were ex. WC cars, they were side discharge cars, & are around the 204,000 # weight load. They were shorter than coal cars, but longer than jennies. They had good breaks & handled very good in a long train.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

A quick search for MWCX 200088 brings up this photo. A former D&RGW gondola.

http://www.jeffstrainsite.com/railfan_p ... 200088.jpg
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.