Frankemuth question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Frankemuth question

Unread post by Big Frank »

I promised the old lady to go to FM before i go back to work is there anything in the way of trains over there ? Or am i screwed and doomed to a day of headaches and misery
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Frankemuth question

Unread post by Jochs »

You might be able to catch Essexville coal trains or trains coming from/going to Dow in Midland.
I'm not sure if GM is still open in Saginaw.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

You won't see much in Flint. There's nowhere to park near CSX's McGrew Yard without trespassing and it doesn't see a whole lot of action to begin with. It's not in the best part of town anyway. Last time I checked there wasn't much going on at CN Flint Yard either. I don't think you can get very close to it too without trespassing, it's been awhile since I've been that way. You might catch SBS/LSRC running through Clio if you're lucky.

I'm sure some of the Saginaw guys can chime in on what there is to see in Saginaw/Bay City

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Junction Valley Railroad, the worlds largest quarter size railroad, is at the corner of Junction Rd. and Dixie Hwy in Bridgeport, on the way to Fmuth from I-75. Up the road from on I-75 is Saginaw, and you have the home of the SBS/LSRC in the old yard. Its off of Vetrens Memorial, and I-475, just to the north one block after getting off I-475. Only job I know you can count on is the job to Bay City, and they go on duity morning around 7. The line has lots of good photo ops on it. If you follow it, it heads out the west end of Saginaw yard, and turn north before crossing the river, and follows closley to M-13 up to Bay City. Other then that, not much around that area that sits. The HESR in the thumb is close by, power is usualy parked at Arther, behind the elevator, they usualy go on duity mid afternoon last I knew. Vassar is home to one of there locos too, they usualy go on duity early in the morning, and can go anywhere. Up in Bay City you have LSRC/SBS origonal yard, and HESR exCMGN yard. The CMGN yard is along M-13. There you usualy have 702 leaving early morning around 7, and shortly after between 8 and 10 740 the local to Saginaw and back. The LSRC yard is off of Wilder Rd. near the river.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

There is much of GM left in Saginaw, Malleable Iron is closed. Grey Iron (Saginaw Metal Casting - GMPT) is still open though. Saginaw Steering Gear used to be part of Delphi but it's a different company now.
Last edited by conrailmike on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Saginaw is about a 15 minute drive from Frankenmuth and is good on weekdays. You can usually get 4-5 road or local trains around between the SBS and HESR. This would be the best bet to seeing trains acutally moving.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Big Frank wrote:I promised the old lady to go to FM before i go back to work is there anything in the way of trains over there ? Or am i screwed and doomed to a day of headaches and misery
Saginaw Co map; http://michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Maps/ ... wCoMap.htm
Frankenmuth Twp map; http://michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Maps/ ... wp1920.htm
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Big Frank wrote:I promised the old lady to go to FM before i go back to work is there anything in the way of trains over there ? Or am i screwed and doomed to a day of headaches and misery
No trains, but some good chicken dinners and a taste of Bavarian beer. Also some good scenery. Take the trip; enjoy yourself, and ask the wife to drive home. That's assuming she hasn't partaken of the same pleasures you have. If the latter is the case, bring lots of cash for the taxi fare. :twisted:
Norm

Mark Rummel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark Rummel »

Ok, while we're discussing Frankenmuth, there was NEVER a rail line there, other than an interurban, if I remember correctly?

Now, nearby (about five miles north) at Gera there's still the closest rail line to Frankenmuth. It heads toward Saginaw and quite a bit of grain moves there. But Frankenmuth itself never had real rail -- if that's wrong, would someone please explain further? Thanks!

(P.S. - My grandfather was born three buildings from the depot in Gera back in 1895 or so...)

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Mark Rummel wrote:(P.S. - My grandfather was born three buildings from the depot in Gera back in 1895 or so...)
You sure that was your grandfather? You sure it wasn't....YOU?!? :lol: :wink:
Bottom text.

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Mark Rummel wrote:Ok, while we're discussing Frankenmuth, there was NEVER a rail line there, other than an interurban, if I remember correctly?

Now, nearby (about five miles north) at Gera there's still the closest rail line to Frankenmuth. It heads toward Saginaw and quite a bit of grain moves there. But Frankenmuth itself never had real rail -- if that's wrong, would someone please explain further? Thanks!

(P.S. - My grandfather was born three buildings from the depot in Gera back in 1895 or so...)
Michigan United Railways http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_United_Railways Northeastern Division
The Northeastern Division operated several lines and branches in the Tri-Cities and Flint. The main line, which ran from Bay City to Flint, was built in stages between 1904 and 1914. The initial segment, Saginaw to Bridgeport, was built in 1904 by the Detroit, Flint & Saginaw. The same year the company built a branch line to Frankenmuth ("little Bavaria"). In 1908 the Saginaw & Flint, successor to the DF&S, branched off west of Frankenmuth and completed the line to Flint. Finally, in 1911, the S&F built north from Saginaw to Bay City, finishing the main line for a total length of 47.09 miles (75.78 km). Ownership passed to Michigan Railroad in 1919, and that company abandoned the Frankenmuth branch in 1922 and the main line in 1929. The Michigan United owned a separate Saginaw–Bay City line which had come down to it from the Saginaw–Bay City. This 13.44-mile (21.63 km) line ran along the left bank of the Saginaw River through Zilwaukee. Michigan Railroad sold the Saginaw–Zilwaukee section to Saginaw Transit in 1922 and then abandoned the rest.[8]

Detroit Transit History info -
http://www.detroittransithistory.info/S ... ibute.html co-authored by Jack E. Schramm - "When Eastern Michigan Rode the Rails" 1,2,3, and 4 volumns each books
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

No you are right Mark, sort of. The interurban was the only rail to Frankenmuth, from a branch off the main at Junction (where JVR is and the corner of Junction and Dixie Hwy) into town. But is was not solid passenger. I did not buy the book, but there is a book by Arcadia Publishing (man I love those books) that is stictly history of Frankenmuth, that has a photo of a electric motor pulling milk and boxcars, and I believe stone, on the line. There were actually about four or five photos of the interurban in the book.

If you drive Dixie Hwy south towards Birch Run you can see the old ROW, on the west side of Dixie Hwy, especally just before the turn off at Maple Rd, where it followed Maple Rd. to the C&O in Birch Run, and then ran along the C&O south on the east side until just after Clio, where it went under the C&O and to the west side Into Mt. Morris. The line from Junction to town is impossable to find.

Mark Rummel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark Rummel »

Hey Y@... don't make me come there after you (again!!!!)

Respect your elders... someday you'll be old too, but not as old as CAPTAIN CAPS PAT C... hehe

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Mark Rummel wrote:Hey Y@... don't make me come there after you (again!!!!)

Respect your elders... someday you'll be old too, but not as old as CAPTAIN CAPS PAT C... hehe
No one is as old as PAT C. :mrgreen:

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Here is the book.

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/mm5/me ... 0738561752
Good, you found that book. I looked that book in Frankenmuth book store. It has photos about interurban and freight cars in Frankenmuth but not lot of images about trains.
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Norm wrote:
No trains, but some good chicken dinners and a taste of Bavarian beer. Also some good scenery. Take the trip; enjoy yourself, and ask the wife to drive home. That's assuming she hasn't partaken of the same pleasures you have. If the latter is the case, bring lots of cash for the taxi fare. :twisted:

Ive been informed to eat at Tony's as for the beer well it takes a lot of beer to put me down so ill only have a couple I lived in Germany for 5 yrs so my expectations on German beer is a lil high, but we will see

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

You better not eat breakfast or lunch if you're gonna eat at Tony's, you'll definitely need the room!

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

conrailmike wrote:You better not eat breakfast or lunch if you're gonna eat at Tony's, you'll definitely need the room!
thats what ive heard lol

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

conrailmike wrote:You better not eat breakfast or lunch if you're gonna eat at Tony's, you'll definitely need the room!
Tony's BLT has a pound of bacon on it!
Owosso Steve