What's goin on in Durand?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Mark Rummel
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Durand, Davison, Holly too

Unread post by Mark Rummel »

Davison is dandy.

Yep, my patient wife and I each get a take-out cod meal at Whitey's in Davison and take them a block east of Whitey's downtown, parking on the gravel just west of the Main St. crossing.

While you're in the Flint Area, you can also sit just west of the depot in Holly and watch the CSX - CN traffic. You can even see the CN signals to the east, helping predict the next action...

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Re: What's goin on in Durand?

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

I still like durand a lot. its cool having the shortlines there as well as the yards there. was the 19 trains in 24 hours including the shortline moves? just curious. thanks.

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

JANGAJONGA wrote:I still like durand a lot. its cool having the shortlines there as well as the yards there. was the 19 trains in 24 hours including the shortline moves? just curious. thanks.
I don't think there were any shortlines during my 24 hours. All the trains were CN except for Amtrak. I didn't see any CM or Tisby, or whatever their called now.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

pica wrote:
JANGAJONGA wrote:I still like durand a lot. its cool having the shortlines there as well as the yards there. was the 19 trains in 24 hours including the shortline moves? just curious. thanks.
I don't think there were any shortlines during my 24 hours. All the trains were CN except for Amtrak. I didn't see any CM or Tisby, or whatever their called now.
If you were there on the weekend you most likely wouldn't of seen HESR or GLC. HESR used to come down to Durand on Saturday and go back north on Sunday, but they stopped once the economy tanked.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Conrail Jon wrote:
pica wrote:
If you were there on the weekend you most likely wouldn't of seen HESR or GLC. HESR used to come down to Durand on Saturday and go back north on Sunday, but they stopped once the economy tanked.
Up until last fall it was common for the HESR or CM to come down on a Saturday morning and tie up for the weekend then run back north Monday evening. It has been sometime since I have seen something come north on a Sunday and every now and then they run an extra on Saturday. Best bet to see the HESR on a weekend is during the start of coal season.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

ptrain56
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ptrain56 »

3 trains in 5 hours and then 5 trains in 8 hours you would have to say durand is slow.it would be nice to find out what day the most day light traffic is heaviest-.due to wanting to take pictures . its a shame its so slow the museum and train station make durand a nice hangout.and its safe...as far as setting i'd take it over fostoria,deshler and marion...(imho)

pica
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pica »

ptrain56 wrote:3 trains in 5 hours and then 5 trains in 8 hours you would have to say durand is slow.it would be nice to find out what day the most day light traffic is heaviest-.due to wanting to take pictures . its a shame its so slow the museum and train station make durand a nice hangout.and its safe...as far as setting i'd take it over fostoria,deshler and marion...(imho)
Durand is a cool place to hang out. You have all the necessities right there in town. However, there is no way you can say Durand is a better setting then Fostoria, Deshler, or Marion.....well maybe it is better then Marion. IMHO.

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

Back in the 90s and probably even into the early 2000s CM used to run 2 trains a day. One would be the "chemical train" that had nothing but cars from Dow. Then they'd bring in a general mixed freight as well, even on Saturdays. I remember as a kid spending many Saturday mornings in Durand and you could always count on the CM getting in around the same time every morning.
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

2 trains a day was gone by late 90s. Every so often they would run an extra freight south IF traffic was heavy. Usually Mondays would see two northbounds, one being the DOW train but that stopped when they started running regular NOrth on Sunday.
The dispatcher is cool.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

CN_Okemos wrote:Back in the 90s and probably even into the early 2000s CM used to run 2 trains a day. One would be the "chemical train" that had nothing but cars from Dow.
IIRC, that was described as "The Death Train" by the media and it then ran on CSX through Northville and the western Detroit suburbs. I remember a lot of stink about it in the media but don't remember all the details.
Norm

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

CN_Okemos wrote:Back in the 90s and probably even into the early 2000s CM used to run 2 trains a day. One would be the "chemical train" that had nothing but cars from Dow. Then they'd bring in a general mixed freight as well, even on Saturdays. I remember as a kid spending many Saturday mornings in Durand and you could always count on the CM getting in around the same time every morning.
Back in 2005 area I remember them running an extra Dow Train north on a Sunday, they would come directly from Durand heading out to Midland, then return from Midland engine light to Wenona Yard, I haven't seen this in quite sometime now.

And my train videos at:

www.trainman86.webs.com

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

I have not been to Durand since last year's "Railfan Meet" on 5-21. I try to go every year! Has anything changed since then much? It's still my favorite spot to watch trains! I'm planning on going there this Thursday. Does anyone know what time (approx) the GLC comes through southbound. Also does the HESR (old CMGN) DOW train still arrive in the late morning/early afternoon? These are the trains I'd like to see. Mornings also seemed fair for GTW!
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Well, luckely GLC and HESR typically run every weekday. GLC has been going south in the mid to late afternoon. HESR usually brings its southbound freight into Durand anywhere between 2PM and 5 PM. Typically around 330PM to 4 PM. After some switching they then return north usually about a hour or two after they arrived. If you are at the depot you will not see the locomotives when they go north. The best experiences I have had at Durand lately have been between about 4 PM and Amtrak. Usually you get 502, HESR, GLC, Amtrak and usually many other pass through manifests. You may also get lucky and see CN bring in a loaded coal train (BNSF power). You may also see a HESR coal train, that will probably have the two C30-7's. IIRC, the HESR runs coal every 2-3 days.

Hope this helps! Enjoy Durand.

PS- You probably will not see a whole lot between 10 AM and 3 PM. 371 (northbound autorack) usually comes through at about 3-4 PM.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

bnsfben wrote:If you are at the depot you will not see the locomotives when they go north. You may also see a HESR coal train, that will probably have the two C30-7's. IIRC, the HESR runs coal every 2-3 days.

Hope this helps! Enjoy Durand.

PS- You probably will not see a whole lot between 10 AM and 3 PM. 371 (northbound autorack) usually comes through at about 3-4 PM.

Thanx for the info! I will go a little bit later now! I'm well aware of being at the depot and not seeing CMGN engines when they leave! My 1st time at Durand was 4-16 through 4-17-1993 (pic of GTW in my album)! There used to be more trains in the morning (and all day)! I know there's a lot less than the 90's of course!!!!

My Durand album (pix uploaded so far): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... x?id=68420

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Durand is pretty much hit and miss, but later afternoons to evening and into the night seem to be pretty decent. I normally make there only on weekends as I work all week, so that rules out GLC and HESR unless HESR has extras or coal. Speaking of which a coal train is headed Durand way now as I type this, they have the 9712 and 3867 for power and should be just getting out of Saginaw by now.

And my train videos at:

www.trainman86.webs.com

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Just don't forget we have our spring railfan meet in durand June 2nd 2012 so please come at any point during the day.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:Just don't forget we have our spring railfan meet in durand June 2nd 2012 so please come at any point during the day.

I haven't forgotten! I may want to try your "Fall Meet" for a difference this year! Last year that meet was Marion, Ohio, correct? The reason I'm going to Durand Thursday is so I won't go an "Entire Year" without going there. I think that only happened once! My goal is to go during the week to photograph the GLC and HESR!!!!
(last year's meet had that GLC "Ballast Extra" I remember!)

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Norm wrote:
CN_Okemos wrote:Back in the 90s and probably even into the early 2000s CM used to run 2 trains a day. One would be the "chemical train" that had nothing but cars from Dow.
IIRC, that was described as "The Death Train" by the media and it then ran on CSX through Northville and the western Detroit suburbs. I remember a lot of stink about it in the media but don't remember all the details.
I remember it being called the "death train" as well. And for good reason...lots of highly toxic and highly flammable materials shipped there...

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

firemedic54 wrote:
Norm wrote:

I remember it being called the "death train" as well. And for good reason...lots of highly toxic and highly flammable materials shipped there...

Oh yeah the "Death Train!" I remember hearing that name a lot in the 90's! That name fits!!!!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Norm wrote:
It started out on the Chessie/CSX, running from Midland, to Chicago, via GR, and off to the MP for forwarding to Texas. Then it moved from Midland to Chicago via Toledo, and on the MP. Shortley after the CM came along they put in a lower bid and won most of the Dow traffic from CSX. Here is a thread on it.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17613
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!