Passenger car on tail end of NS 38E - Transformers Movie

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Transformers movie to star Conrail.

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

M.D.Bentley wrote:LIGHTS, CAMERA, and ACTION................ The oddball passenger equipment roaming around Detroit is for the next Transformer movie being shot around the old Packard plant on East Grand Blvd. That is all.
Well I can say thats good news. But what do you mean by oddball passenger equipment? Thats the only car anyone has spotted. What others are there? And for heavens sake I hope they do not blow them up. That car looks like it still has some life left.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: Passenger car on tail end of NS 38E - Transformers Movie

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

James that "car" looks like it has as much "life" left in as the chicken I ate for lunch.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

TTAM, Im under the impression that if a car is still rolling at trackspeed (30+ mph) in a freight train and has been all over the system recently, it is still good as far as the FRA is concerned correct?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

James just because it is "structurely sound" dont mean it has "life", but yes in order for it to move it has to be mechinacly sound.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

ptrain56
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ptrain56 »

well at least thats not a car for a new commuter service..it would keep commuters in their cars and off the rails..no matter how much that car is refurbished it is still a disaster.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:James just because it is "structurely sound" dont mean it has "life", but yes in order for it to move it has to be mechinacly sound.
The inside prolly smells like racoon urine, or the movie studio prolly bought the car so they could blow it up. If i owned a run of the mill passenger and somebody wanted to buy it I'd let em.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

ETR#101
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ETR#101 »

Found these two photos on the wonderful photoblog detroitfunk.com. You can see here that as of now it's in one peice. The car is at the old Packard plant that's being used as a set.

Me thinks Amtrak is gonna take a hit in this movie :mrgreen:
On the job since 1941

ETR#101
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ETR#101 »

I also found this posting on another great forum Detroityes.com

"renf - posted Sept 5, 2010
Two weeks ago I spent a night at a railfan bed and breakfast in eastern Pennsylvania. I met a man there who had putchased three used passenger cars from the Long Island Railroad for use in Transformers 3. He was supervising their trip to Detroit. Two of the cars were scheduled to be destroyed in the filming. He intended to savve the other Long Island car for resale. I got a message from him last week saying that the Norfolk Southern approved his cars for transit to Detroit."

I guess that car wasn't postitioned like that. From what I read on that forum........she careened out a 4th floor window :shock:
Seeing how she's not folded in half....I'd say she was still in pretty decent shape!
On the job since 1941