Quick Gallery of my Layout

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

Quick Gallery of my Layout

Unread post by ConrailForever »

Some of you may remember me posting some photos of my layout a few months back. Well, with my new camera at my disposal and a lot of spare time, I decided to do another photo session down in the basement. I remember some people requesting more photos of the branch line on the peninsula of the layout, which I still have to get to. Hopefully I can do some more tomorrow with another early release from school.

First up is a shot showing two new changes to the layout. On the double track "inner" main, we've installed some new bridgework to open up this area and make it a little more appealing to the eye. On the single "outer" main, an eastbound stack train glides alongside the new passing siding and station. The engines are KCS AC44CW 4621, UP AC44CCTE 5817 and SP C44-9W 8125. I plan on patching the SP to a prototypical AC44 road number.

Next up is BNSF SD60M 9275 bringing a westbound coal drag down the grade on the peninsula on track two. The large grain elevator is serviced by the branch line. I'd also like to get some PRB-style hoppers to make a solid, realistic coal train.

Here's a shot of a westbound manifest on the inner main occupying track one by the new bridge span, led by a pair Ex-SP SD40T-2's, UP 8766 and 8726 from front to back, in addition to NS high hood SD40-2 3214.

Here we see CNW C44-9W 8627 serving as a DPU on the eastbound stack train, shoving the tail end of the train through the west portal underneath the inner main. This engine isn't actually powered, and will be patched in the near future to a prototypical UP AC44CW road number.

Next is a shot of the eastbound stack train at a rural crossing just outside the industrial area of the layout.

The tunnel motors look right at home as they power out of the portal by the car repair shops and branch line.

At the interlocking between the outer and inner mains, we get a glimpse of the westbound coal train meeting the eastbound stack train.

[imghttp://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/steal2nd/IMG1017.jpg][/img]

At this point, I decided to make things a little more interesting. I turned all the lights in the basement off except for the small Christmas lights strung around the perimeter of the room to create a late evening lighting scenario, using bulb exposures to capture the motion of trains through the layout.

First is the "experimental" shot of the stack train at a crossing on the west side of the industrial area.

I followed up this first attempt with a two-second exposure with the BNSF 9275 awaiting a signal at the interlocking as the DPU on the stack train cruised by at track speed.

Here's the coal train again, and you can track the path of the train as it works downgrade from the summit around the peninsula.

Catching up again with the train in the industrial sector of trackage, the streaks of light wind alongside the tall buildings and pass the interlocking tower and switch for the branch to the engine/car servicing facilities and other industries on the peninsula.

I followed that shot up with another photo emphasizing the contours of the trackage, with the coal train curving around on the outer main, then crossing onto track one of the inner main.

The next two shots show the eastbound stack train streaking past the mixed freight, first at the bridges and then at the S-Curve just west of the summit.

To finish off this mini-gallery, I leave you a shot of BNSF 9275 sitting at the interlocking as the stack train streaks by.

I hope you enjoyed looking, and there's surely more to come in the future. Again, if you have any questions, by all means ask. And if there's something you'd like to see more of, let me know.

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Quick Gallery of my Layout

Unread post by GTWChris »

Excellent layout and photos. The very last photo is my favorite.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Nice layout, but I have 2 things to point out. Why on earth would you want to patch a CNW unit? and Why would you patch a CNW Dash 9 into a UP AC44 number? The exCNW Dash 9s went into a different series

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

GTW4633 wrote:Nice layout, but I have 2 things to point out. Why on earth would you want to patch a CNW unit? and Why would you patch a CNW Dash 9 into a UP AC44 number? The exCNW Dash 9s went into a different series
I have two CNW Dash 9's, the unpowerd unit in the photos and a powered one with DCC. The powered unit will remain unpatched, and with some changes in detail, I planned on making the dummy unit into an AC4400CW, which would involve patching the road number as UP would. I like modernizing my roster the best I can; just my style, I suppose.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

ConrailForever wrote:
GTW4633 wrote:Nice layout, but I have 2 things to point out. Why on earth would you want to patch a CNW unit? and Why would you patch a CNW Dash 9 into a UP AC44 number? The exCNW Dash 9s went into a different series
I have two CNW Dash 9's, the unpowerd unit in the photos and a powered one with DCC. The powered unit will remain unpatched, and with some changes in detail, I planned on making the dummy unit into an AC4400CW, which would involve patching the road number as UP would. I like modernizing my roster the best I can; just my style, I suppose.
The main point I was trying to make is that Dash 9s and AC44s are not the same carbody. If you just want to patch it, use one of the #s that is an actual exCNW Dash 9s. Nothing looks worse than an engine with the wrong number on it

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

And real trains don't go around in circles...it's his layout, he can do as he pleases! No offense but you are really coming across as a donkeys butt!

Nice layout! Looks like you have a lot of fun with it!
Last edited by MagnumForce on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Great looking layout CRFvr! Thanks for taking the time to post your pcitures.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

etmccaus
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by etmccaus »

Geez, considering just how great this entire layout looks, a number patch seems like a minor thing to gripe about! You've done some amazing work -- I may have missed this, but just how big is your entire layout?

Absolutely inspiring -- hope to do something similar, if I ever have the space...

-Evan

rthornton
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rthornton »

Awesome looking layout. I am new to this site and really liked the photos. It is giving me some great ideas for the layout we are planing to build soon. Thanks.
Modeling the B&O & C&O in the late 60's early 70's

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Wow, somebody is making a simple suggestion to better enhance a layout operation and the name calling starts. Nowhere was there any negative regards to anything.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Why question a mans choice on HIS layout in the first place. After all, just because someone is modeling a certain railroad, doesn't mean it has to be 100% accurate and prototypical. If thats the case, I bet 99.9% of model railroads might want to reconsider their layouts. Model railroad is about enjoying the hobby, what ever part you want to enjoy. Worrying about what others point out as faults shouldn't have anything to do with what you want to do.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AC60CW wrote:Why question a mans choice on HIS layout in the first place. After all, just because someone is modeling a certain railroad, doesn't mean it has to be 100% accurate and prototypical. If thats the case, I bet 99.9% of model railroads might want to reconsider their layouts. Model railroad is about enjoying the hobby, what ever part you want to enjoy. Worrying about what others point out as faults shouldn't have anything to do with what you want to do.
Holy crap, chill. I have to agree with GTW 4633 and 12bridge, I wouldn't renumber a Dash 9 into an AC4400 number, because Dash 9's and AC4400's don't look the same. BUT, that's just me. To each his own, that's why they're called "model railroads".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

MagnumForce wrote:And real trains don't go around in circles...it's his layout, he can do as he pleases! No offense but you are really coming across as a donkeys butt!

Nice layout! Looks like you have a lot of fun with it!
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qxtj59 ... ndota%20IL looks like a giant oval to me!

UP 9691, as UP 9596 (ex C&NW 8627), was the first of this group to be repainted to Union Pacific, completed on 14 November 1995.

I'm not claiming to be perfect, I'm just simply offering constructive crisitism, I meant the comment about patching a CNW unit as a joke as I'm a big CNW fan. But as far as Patching a Dash 9 into an AC44 # I didn't get. Athearn Bluebox AC44s are common and inexpensive. Use an AC44 as an AC44 and use the Dash 9 is as a Dash 9.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

You guys need to learn what the meaning of constructive criticism is. Somebody comes up to me and tells me I have an error and shows me how to fix it, I would likely take the advice. And this goes for alot more things then playing with trains.

Another example of a roundy-round layout..

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

12bridge where is that photo of?

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Nothing to see here folks, carry on. This thread should get back to the original reason. The nice looking layout photos
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

M&LS wrote:12bridge where is that photo of?
Should be the Brooklyn Freight Terminal in New York City. Prototype is so small you can build the whole thing a 4x8 and not have to do any selective compression

ConrailForever
Railroadfan...fan

No need to get in a fuss, everyone. I do like my railroad being prototypical, so the more I toss the idea around in my head, the more I'd rather prototypically renumber the CNW into a C44-9W road number. Anyway, thanks for all the compliments everyone. The layout is roughly 10x20, but I don't have exact measurements. I'm sure more photos will come in the future, hopefully soon if time permits.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

The layout looks very good.

That's actually the Bronx Terminal in the Bronx. Appeared to be an interesting operation.
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/crrnjbxt.html
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

Conrail Jon wrote:
AC60CW wrote:Why question a mans choice on HIS layout in the first place. After all, just because someone is modeling a certain railroad, doesn't mean it has to be 100% accurate and prototypical. If thats the case, I bet 99.9% of model railroads might want to reconsider their layouts. Model railroad is about enjoying the hobby, what ever part you want to enjoy. Worrying about what others point out as faults shouldn't have anything to do with what you want to do.
Holy crap, chill. I have to agree with GTW 4633 and 12bridge, I wouldn't renumber a Dash 9 into an AC4400 number, because Dash 9's and AC4400's don't look the same. BUT, that's just me. To each his own, that's why they're called "model railroads".

Ditto.

In life when I make 'technical' errors etc and then shown a 'better' 'more prototypical' method etc I take it and become smarter/better at whatever task that is.