Ann Arbor Railroad

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ann Arbor Railroad

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

etmccaus wrote:Great stuff! Just picked up one of the Roundhouse 500-series 2-bay hoppers. Having a little difficulty fitting the chassis into the body shell, but curious what color grey you used to paint the hopper hatches and other detail parts to match the body.

Appreciate the help!

-Evan
I had the same issue. I took the frame and went out to the garage and grinded off the frame where the bays meet the frame. Not too long on the stone grinder though. Made a couple of quick passes and it fit just fine. As for paint, havent matched it yet.
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

etmccaus
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by etmccaus »

Nick, thanks for your advice on the frame. Ended up also having to grind off a couple of the small ribs around the edges of the ends and it went right in. Also found Tamiya's Neutral Grey is a fairly close match to the original paint.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

etmccaus wrote:Nick, thanks for your advice on the frame. Ended up also having to grind off a couple of the small ribs around the edges of the ends and it went right in. Also found Tamiya's Neutral Grey is a fairly close match to the original paint.
Your welcome, glad I could help! Neutral Gray huh...will give that a try!

BTW, Don your layout looks like it would be interesting to run on. I know its modified from another, but looks enjoyable. I bet some GP35's could fit on there... :wink:
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:BTW, Don your layout looks like it would be interesting to run on. I know its modified from another, but looks enjoyable. I bet some GP35's could fit on there... :wink:
Thanks. Notice it has almost as many interchanges as online customers? Trains coming from and going to the ferries will have quite a bit of switching to do at the interchanges.

A local from Toledo will handle most of the local freight.

An Ann Arbor switcher will handle the city limits proper.

A WAB GP7 will pull a short passenger train.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

etmccaus
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by etmccaus »

AARR wrote:
Football special, anyone? :D

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

etmccaus wrote:
AARR wrote:
Football special, anyone? :D
Go Blue! Go Maze! :D Go Orange?? :lol:

Anyway speaking of orange, allow me to present Ann Arbor Railroad System GP35 #392:

Sorry about the fuzzy pics. My cameras dead so I used my Itouch. I used an old Herald King set and stripped the Chessie engine in the first post in this thread. I sanded and filled the dynamic brake hole, but still needs a touch up. I also need to get the small rear radiator fan. Up next, Im gonna paint the sides black and add details. Also needs a power chassis. :P

Also, I picked up a Roundhouse RS3 that Im gonna convert to an RS2 and repaint into AA 301. Thank goodness Microscale came out with the new AA set that has the ALCo and the EMD decals.
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

The Ferry in the Fog logo is my fav used by the AA.

Nick - Check out the AARRT&HA website for other decals you may need. I don't believe you have to be a member to order.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:The Ferry in the Fog logo is my fav used by the AA.

Nick - Check out the AARRT&HA website for other decals you may need. I don't believe you have to be a member to order.
I seen that! Between them and Microscale/Herald King. Ill be in good shape.
Nick

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Hey Don, if you can, would you please post some pics sometime of your WrightTrak cabooses? Im working on my pair now and I dont know where some of the small details go. I need to see a completed one in good detail. I hate instructions with no pictures.
Nick

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:Hey Don, if you can, would you please post some pics sometime of your WrightTrak cabooses? Im working on my pair now and I dont know where some of the small details go. I need to see a completed one in good detail. I hate instructions with no pictures.
Sorry GTF, they are in the box unassembled and unpainted. As are most of my cars. :(

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Bump - Pics coming eventually