IORY South End part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End part 3

Unread post by midland sub »

There's possibly a new customer coming to the Midland in 2012. Pretty substantial shipper getting 150 to 200 cars a week. Several spots on RA lines are being considered, we should know the final decision sometime this summer. Seems Wyncup @ Mt Sterling (plastic pellets) and Suburban Propane @ Grove City are possibly returning to using rail. Suburban needs to rebuild their spur and might be looking for a grant to do so. Both stopped using rail back in 2006.

Track work on the Greenfield Sub to get the Leesburg to Greenfield portion back into service is supposed to start in 2 weeks. The city has until June to get the line reopened for Johnson Controls- which reopened the Greenfield plant last week. City wants JC to start using rail again in April to speed up the process of JC adding a second production line and hiring another 75 employees.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:There's possibly a new customer coming to the Midland in 2012. Pretty substantial shipper getting 150 to 200 cars a week. Several spots on RA lines are being considered, we should know the final decision sometime this summer.
That is a substancial number. Can you provide some clues what the commodity is? I will guess steel related.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Not steel related. It's a processing company with a new technique. About an equal number of in and out bound traffic.

AARR wrote:That is a substancial number. Can you provide some clues what the commodity is? I will guess steel related.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Not steel related. It's a processing company with a new technique. About an equal number of in and out bound traffic.

AARR wrote:That is a substancial number. Can you provide some clues what the commodity is? I will guess steel related.
So my clues are:
1. 150-200 cars per week
2. Processing Co.
3. Approx. equal no. in and out

My next guess is some sort of mineral company such as aggregates?

(I have not tried Googling for an answer. I enjoy guessing games :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Good guess on the mineral traffic, but not correct. It's food related and that's about as close as you're going to get on the info.... :D

CSX is supposed to be adding another 20 stone cars to the Melvin Stone pool. That would put number of CSX cars around 50 along with the 16 cars Melvin owns. Stone should start moving again very soon.

WCH-A spotted an empty ethanol train @ Valero on Friday.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Good guess on the mineral traffic, but not correct. It's food related and that's about as close as you're going to get on the info.... :D
Unless its salt I was not even in the ballpark. So my final guess, without Googling it, is ethanol. Now I will Google and see what I find :)

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'll play just for the heck of it :-) 3 possible "food related" facilities (in order of likeliness)
1. Soybean oil/meal processing
2. Corn Syrup
3. Wheat processing/Flour mill

I don't see another ethanol plant along the Ohio RA lines because between Leipsic, Lima (coming back on line this year) and Bloomingsburg they're pretty well saturated. Additionally the "bloom is off the rose" to a degree on ethanol in general. As stated, these are just guesses, your mileage will vary, call before you dig and whatever other disclaimers are applicable :-)

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Whatever it might be they should put it in the WCH industrial park across from Calmar or Jeffersonville. Since the IORY is devoid of customers between Springfield and Quincy they should put it in that area.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Michael is the closest on his guess.

The company is looking at a spot on the Midland. They need to tap into the local waste water system for the process. If anything goes into the WCH ind park rail wise it will be built next to WCH Molding out towards the end of the tracks. There was a bio diesel company that almost built on the land next to WCH Molding about 8 years ago. Anything at Jeffersonville will go in @ the super site off of BGF's lead.

Plus he's hit the nail on the head on ethanol plants. With as much corn that's grown locally, Valero still has to work pretty hard to get what they need. Both Heritage Co-op and Trupointe have long term marketing contracts with southern feed mills for corn.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The ORDC has agreed to up to $345,00 in grants for the I&O use on the Logan Sub track project between Lancaster and the end of the tracks @ Logan. The grant will be split into three phases with the first 5 mile segment to basically Sugar Grove to be awarded $150,000 with the I&O matching the grant for 2011. Phase two will be five more miles in 2012. No agreement was made on awarding anything for the last 5 miles for phase three in 2013. Both GE Lamp and Smead have made major invenstments in their Logan plants and will use rail more. Smead seems to getting at least a boxcar of paper rolls a week now. Inbound wheat to Keynes Bros has been very heavy with most coming from the north end of the I&O. There just might be a resolution coming for a particular I&O problem with the routing of wheat from Metamora to Logan.....

CIND 5003-IORY 4082 were today's WCH-B power. CBNS 5002-IORY 4071 were on the WCH-A.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Michael is the closest on his guess.
That is why I am a janitor and not in the railroad business :lol: :oops:

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Had to to do some errands and what not today. I was going to head north but decided to go south when i heard the sound of horns to the east just as i was going out the door. Decided to head to Grove City to see what it was and caught up to the train in downtown Grove City. Caught CSX 7815 and CSX 5425 with about 50 hoppers of FURX, AEX, HMCX hoppers, among others. So i chased the train down the Midland Sub all the way to Mount Sterling. I was sort of impressed to see the train moving at a reasonable 30 mph down the line. Unfortunately i had to commit to my schedule and had to cut the chase off. After doing errands and taking groceries home from Meijer, i went back to Grove City to do more errands and log in here at the Grove City Library. Just a little bit ago, i again caught another train with the same CSX locos i caught this morning with 5425 in the lead heading back to Parsons Yard. The train consisted of about 60 CSX, CSX family line and conrail hoppers. Midland Sub what did you see down on your end?
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Nice catch redside. I saw the CSX cars @ Haynes this morning. Must have just missed them coming south. That should be an empty soybean train for Sabina-Bunge @ Melvin.

Part of the storage boxcars at Midland City have been sold. The former SLGG cars have new reporting marks and are heading north up the DT&I. 40 came up from Midland on Monday with the Blan Job.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I would assume for the wheat, there's going to be improvement on access from the Logan Line to the Midland in Columbus, or is it something a little "Further afield"?
midland sub wrote:The ORDC has agreed to up to $345,00 in grants for the I&O use on the Logan Sub track project between Lancaster and the end of the tracks @ Logan. The grant will be split into three phases with the first 5 mile segment to basically Sugar Grove to be awarded $150,000 with the I&O matching the grant for 2011. Phase two will be five more miles in 2012. No agreement was made on awarding anything for the last 5 miles for phase three in 2013. Both GE Lamp and Smead have made major invenstments in their Logan plants and will use rail more. Smead seems to getting at least a boxcar of paper rolls a week now. Inbound wheat to Keynes Bros has been very heavy with most coming from the north end of the I&O. There just might be a resolution coming for a particular I&O problem with the routing of wheat from Metamora to Logan.....

CIND 5003-IORY 4082 were today's WCH-B power. CBNS 5002-IORY 4071 were on the WCH-A.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

That might just be a very good guess...... :roll:

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Listening to the South Central Ohio radio tonight I heard a CSX Parsons yard crew asking where to spot CBNS 5002 for the L3 crew on the Logan Sub to pick up. This would be the first GP50 to work the line and I assume will replace the

The Blan Job dropped off another 30 or so of the storage boxcars from Midland City @ Konrad today. Cars are now marked for IANR. There should be less than 100 still sitting between Midland and Blanchester.

The Midland main wll be out of service around MP 111 north of Crove City for anywhere from a week to a month for a bridge replacement. Franklin County is replacing the old Midland overpass for Alkire Rd. No word on when the actual bridge replacement will occur.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

[quote="midland sub"]Listening to the South Central Ohio radio tonight I heard a CSX Parsons yard crew asking where to spot CBNS 5002 for the L3 crew on the Logan Sub to pick up. This would be the first GP50 to work the line.[/quote]

I think your right about that but didn't 5001 go up there earlier this year? Side note CIND 5003 was at a VERY EMPTY McCoullugh yard this after noon sitting with 1 tank car, CIND 5000 & IORY 4070 were parked infront of the shop. CIND 5000 has been at McCoullugh for about 2 weeks so who knows what's wrong with it this time, with a few exceptions all those GP50's are JUNK! I've heard 5002 & 5007 pull good but they were "remotored" so that helps them for now, wonder if 5002 & 5007 are rated at 3500 H.P or 3000 H.P like a GP40? I believe the motors they put in them came from KCS SD40-2's that were cut up a few years ago by Progress Rail

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

For some reason 5001 never left Parsons and went back on the next empty grain train for the Midland. The 5002 wasn't loading properly on Monday- must be now.....

Blame the lack of cars @ McCullough on CSX congestion @ Queensagate for part of it. Plus they cleared out those NOKL storage autoracks.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

IORY_fan wrote:I've heard 5002 & 5007 pull good but they were "remotored" so that helps them for now, wonder if 5002 & 5007 are rated at 3500 H.P or 3000 H.P like a GP40? I believe the motors they put in them came from KCS SD40-2's that were cut up a few years ago by Progress Rail

IORY_fan
If I am reading this right were 5002 and 5007 remotored with 3000hp engines?

I am a little surprised the GP50's have lasted this long on IORY. Most railroads get rid of them quickly because they are poor pullers in local service. Yet, the GP60's do not seem to have a problem even though they are higher horsepower. Perhaps the 60's were built with a different wheel slippage system?

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

[quote="AARR"][quote="IORY_fan"]I've heard 5002 & 5007 pull good but they were "remotored" so that helps them for now, wonder if 5002 & 5007 are rated at 3500 H.P or 3000 H.P like a GP40? I believe the motors they put in them came from KCS SD40-2's that were cut up a few years ago by Progress Rail

IORY_fan[/quote]
If I am reading this right were 5002 and 5007 remotored with 3000hp engines?

I am a little surprised the GP50's have lasted this long on IORY. Most railroads get rid of them quickly because they are poor pullers in local service. Yet, the GP60's do not seem to have a problem even though they are higher horsepower. Perhaps the 60's were built with a different wheel slippage system?[/quote]

5002 & 5007 were remotored but I have never found out if they are rated at 3000 or 3500 Horse power wise.
Here is a shot of 5002's "new" prime mover before it was installed
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2006428

One of the biggest differences on the GP60 was it was equipped with the EMD's 710 Prime Mover rated at 3800H.P as the 645's that were put in the GP50's & SD50's were rated at 3500 which was too much for the 645 motor and the GP/SD50's failure rates were high, most railroad BNSF, CSX, NS down rated there SD/GP50's to 3000 H.P or less depending on what service they would enter. BNSF downgradred there GP50's to 2500 & relabeled them GP25's in some cases, same goes for CSX's SD50-2's which are simply SD50's rated at 3000 H.P making them basically a SD40-2. The poor purformance of the SD50's is 1 of the reasons CSX only ordered 10 SD60's from EMD as they thought they would have the same problems as the SD50's. The high horsepower GP50's were best when pulling long road freight across the prairie not pulling 15 cars at 10 Mph

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"