Will the Lake State Ever Cease to Amaze Me?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
LSRC
Flat River Rat

Will the Lake State Ever Cease to Amaze Me?

Unread post by LSRC »

Before I start off, I would like to note that this is my 200th post! :D

Anyways, here we go.

3/2/07:
Headed over to the yard to see if the 326 was already built. There were two orange gondola-rebuilds and 4-5 cement cars on the main (built for a train). The 798 was tied up to the 3563 near the roundhouse.

Later, after watching the Alpena's Varsity boy's basketball team loose the Big North title to the Northmen by 8 (I think) points ( :cry: ), I headed back to the yard, to see if they had tried the power on. Everything was the same as the night before. I didn't have my tripod, so I had to use the windshield. ( :wink: ) Here is the result:

3/3/07:
I heard a train, so I headed on out. I only heard it blow for a crossing once, so I hoped that it was just working the yard, and that I didn't just hear it crossing Werth Road, where I wouldn't be able to catch it.

The yard looked the same at first, then I realized that the 798 and 3563 were gone. Looking closer, I saw a string of cement cars that wern't there before. The string of cars (with the gondolas) was still there, so I didn't think that a train left. Feeling down, I head over to Lafarge. I pull over the tracks on the "truck highway". I look down and see train 325, with the 798 and 3563, backing up into Lafarge. I head over to the crossing by the flyash plant, but it was too late, the train had already backed up into the plant.
Knowing that they were just going to trade cement cars at the pier, I went back to the yard and waited for them to take the 1 mile climb back to Long Lake Ave. Sure enough, 5 minutes later, the two M420Ws come rolling in to the yard.

The 3563 was very smokey today, as evident by the pictures.
They went on cutting cars, and the 3563 kept on smoking.
Well there you have it. Two of my favorite Canadian Models working on a Saturday, building an outbound train. The train my go South today, so I'll be on the lookout for it, and maybe a 327a too?

More pictures to come later. No videos, as they never crossed the street. :cry:

LSRC

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

They might want to check the Prime on 3563. They could almost have a complete failure if they keep that up...... do they ever take good care of their equipment?

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Congratulate

Unread post by signmasters »

Congratulate on your 200th post, and on your great photos always a joy to see.
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Are you kidding railfan James!?!? The Lake State has one of the finest (shortline) locomotive servicing crews in the state. Why else did they keep all those Alcos alive for so long? Its just showing it's inner Alco. All Lake State engine's smoke. Some more than others. The 3563 has never failed the Lake State. BTW the 798 was smoking too, I just couldn't take a picture of it (I always had my camera OFF when the 798 was smoking. :roll: ) Also, thanks for the compliments.

I liked the pictures, but I am still trying to get the aperature right, and the pictures came out a little dark. That's probably why Railpictures and Scooter's poles rejected them. :lol:

Thanks again,

LSRC

cmgnnut
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cmgnnut »

LRSC has a string of box cars-green and blue ones in Roscommon went by there today

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

OH? Ok, I'll give them the engine servicing crews, but, not track workers :lol: ... whats the speed limit there by that KOA Campground over in Oscoda? However, It is always nice to see an Alco smoke, do not get me wrong. It reminds you of an early diesel.

:? Get scared to run on that with a freight train myself. I prefer the nice straight Class 1 lines.... I am just not to used to shortline trackage myself....

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

LSRC wrote:
I liked the pictures, but I am still trying to get the aperature right, and the pictures came out a little dark.
Or they may look too dark because your shutter speed was too fast. :wink:

Just stick with one aperture (commonly used is f5.6) and adjust your shutter speed to get the right exposure. If you can do it manually, I suggest that, as the strong headlights from a loco can commonly throw off the metering if you have it in any other mode than manual.

Regardless of how you feel about them, your photos are still good viewing and could probably be touched up in photoshop to correct the darkness.

Here is an example of some quick adjustments in photoshop....

Before:

After:

Before:

After: