Railfanning Dearborn

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
gvtfan
Railroadfan...fan

Railfanning Dearborn

Unread post by gvtfan »

I will be visiting family in the Dearborn area next week, and I would like to spend a part of a day railfanning. Because I'm not familiar with the area, I'd prefer to sit in one or two locations all day and see a few trains. I don't care for passenger rail too much, and I really would like to see some CN action. CSX and NS and any shortlines would be okay too. Where should I sit, and when?

Thanks

Charlie Wood

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railfanning Dearborn

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

Are you looking to take pictures and sit and view or just sit a view/watch the trains?
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Dearborn is pretty much Amtrak and NS 38E, 39E, and the occasional 60T/62T coil train to Wayne. If you want to actually railfan I would recommed Romulus where you can watch all the CP Windsor-Bensonville traffic, NS Wabash traffic including the Triplecrowns, and all the North-South CSX traffic.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

If you're gonna be in Dearborn, you might as well just drive over to Delray Junction.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

conrailmike wrote:If you're gonna be in Dearborn, you might as well just drive over to Delray Junction.
I would agree. Unless, you are a little squeemish about bad neighborhoods then Delray is probably not a good choice. Despite Delray not being a good neighborhood I am not aware of there ever being any incidents with the local people .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The best way to catch the most trains is to have a scanner and be mobile, but being from out of state you're not going to know your way around as well.

James is completely overlooking the CSX in Dearborn. Rougemere Yard in Dearborn is a great place for shooting in the morning, but has had more CP/ICE power than CSX of late.

Delray Junction and Wyandotte is good for CN because you'll see everything running on the Shoreline Sub to Flat Rock. However, you miss a lot of trains at Delray, particularly on NS if they run into Oakwood or use the Junction Yard Branch. Delray is the best spot for the Canadian roads.

The western end of Oakwood Yard at Allen Road and Outer Drive is a good place to just sit for a while and see NS and CP traffic.

I personally don't like Romulus that much because your away from most other lines in the Detroit area, plus you'll see everything in Romulus on NS at Oakwood Yard.

I would say Wyandotte is a good place in the afternoon because CN tends to run a few trains around 5 or 6 in the evening, plus you get the NS trains on the Detroit Line which runs directly next to the CN main.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Wyandottes been a little slow lately, with the auto plants shut down.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Here's Railfanning Dearborn:

Eastborn (CP Lou & Fordson Yd), Michigan Central
- Amtrak Wolverine (350-55)
- Canadian Pacific (Stacks To Fullerton Yd.)
- DSSX (Detroit Salt Transfer Locals)
- Norfolk Southern (B33, 20V, 24V, 26V, 38E, 39E, 60T, 63T)
- Q131-132 Pacer Stacktrain (Diesel power varies daily you could get Ferromax, KCS, or UP)

Eastborn (Greenfield & Tireman Rd.), Pere Marquette
- CSX (Autoracks, Coke, Locals, Manifests)

Rouge Yard (Schaefer Rd.), Detroit, Toledo, & Ironton
- Canadian National (Automotive Locals)

Rougemere Yard (Dearborn, Dix, & Wyoming Rd.), Pere Marquette
- CSX (Autoracks, Coke, Locals, Manifests)

Westborn (Fordson Interchange & Smith's Creek Station), Greenfield Village Railroad
- Daily Tourist Trains pulled by 4-4-0 #1 "Edison" or 0-6-4T #3 "Torch Lake"
- Vintage Freight Cars

Westborn (Manson & Monroe St.), Michigan Central

Townline (Civic Center Dr.), Michigan Central

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Fullerton Yard is actually Oak Yard. Its located along I-96 between Southfield and Evergreen Road in Detroit.

There are only Two CP intermodal trains, 140 and 141 that operate into Oak Yard. Both trains usually run in the evening, typically around 8 or 9pm.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I believe CP 140 and 141 operated as X508 and X509 on CSX rail between Michigan Avenue and Oak Yard. I've found the end of Henn Street to be a good place to sit and watch the CSX Detroit Subdivision unobstructed. The neighborhood kids might wander by and give you a weird look but I've never had a problem. You can see the eastbound signals for P Company Junction clearly, and hear trains departing Rougemere on the scanner loud and clear.

Here's a link to the location: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=henn+stre ... 9&t=h&z=16

John, resident Dearborn expert, has covered most everything else as have the other contributors.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

CP 140 and 141 are still X508/X509. CSX never changed the symbols, but were CP 158/159 until recently.