Amway - New Business

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Amway - New Business

Unread post by AARR »

Read on another board Amway will add a spur at the west end of their plant and increase carloads by a few a month
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Amway - New Business

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Amways yard is rather large. Does a new spur really need to be built Im wondering?

I was amused by this from the article:
The only concern expressed by the planners came from Township Treasurer Norm Rhoades, who wondered if a train needed to go through the intersection at 4 p.m. “especially now while the bridge is under construction could really back up traffic.”
Nick

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

What does Amway do anyways? I remember when they used to sponsor the late Scott Brayton's Indycar in the early 90's and was always curious as to what it was and what they did.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Amway is a giant pyramid scheme. Only difference between it and just about every other, is there's an actual line of products being sold. Though the concept is purely the same, build as large as you can network of people below you and profit off of their sales. In reality it's no different than any other job, just a a slimey reputation because some of the recruiters come across as more pimps and drug dealers.....

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

conrailman75 wrote:What does Amway do anyways? I remember when they used to sponsor the late Scott Brayton's Indycar in the early 90's and was always curious as to what it was and what they did.
They make lots of soaps and cleaners, along with other cleaning type goods and materials. Amway and it's founders essentially built Grand Rapids and West Michigan into the economic powerhouse it is today, virtually untouched by the automotive turmoil on the east side of the state.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:Amways yard is rather large. Does a new spur really need to be built Im wondering?

The only concern expressed by the planners came from Township Treasurer Norm Rhoades, who wondered if a train needed to go through the intersection at 4 p.m. “especially now while the bridge is under construction could really back up traffic.”
I do not know how car traffic is in the area but can 3 cars a month inhibit the flow of traffic in the area?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

quote="AARR"]
GrandTrunkFan wrote:Amways yard is rather large. Does a new spur really need to be built Im wondering?

I do not know how car traffic is in the area but can 3 cars a month inhibit the flow of traffic in the area?[/quote]

Another example of a municipal official with no clue about railroading going ahead and making statements and decisions anyway. It makes me wonder how poorly informed they are on other issues they're deciding for us.[
RR Pass Collector

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

For what it's worth, it appears Amway/Rail America/whoever owns the spur into Amway is replacing the M-21 crossing this week. Half the street is closed and half of the crossing (rails and all) is gone.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Amway owns the spur and crossing. The Twp Treasurer does have a legitimate concern. With the bridge over the river only 1 lane in each direction EB traffic gets really backed up at the evening rush hour to the RR crossing. The bridge replacement is way behind schedule and will not be completed until next year some time.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Well get out there and crack that whip RDD!

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

amtrak1007 wrote:Well get out there and crack that whip RDD!
MDOT project, not much I can do about it :lol:

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Doesn't mean I don't have faith in you to get out there and move them along.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

amtrak1007 wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:
Doesn't mean I don't have faith in you to get out there and move them along.
It'll give him and JT something to talk about next time they're together. :P
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Raildudes dad wrote:Amway owns the spur and crossing. The Twp Treasurer does have a legitimate concern. With the bridge over the river only 1 lane in each direction EB traffic gets really backed up at the evening rush hour to the RR crossing. The bridge replacement is way behind schedule and will not be completed until next year some time.
I'm sure there is a legit concern from the Township, but I think there are easier ways to deal with this than fighting against it. I don't think the GRE is unwilling to work out a time schedule beneficial to the township. What I mean is they could work out an agreement where the GRE won't switch the plant between 6a and 9a or 4p-7p so they avoid blocking the crossing. A voluntary agreement would not violate the federal interstate commerce regulations and would be beneficial to both parties in my opinion.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

chapmaja wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:Amway owns the spur and crossing. The Twp Treasurer does have a legitimate concern. With the bridge over the river only 1 lane in each direction EB traffic gets really backed up at the evening rush hour to the RR crossing. The bridge replacement is way behind schedule and will not be completed until next year some time.
I'm sure there is a legit concern from the Township, but I think there are easier ways to deal with this than fighting against it. I don't think the GRE is unwilling to work out a time schedule beneficial to the township. What I mean is they could work out an agreement where the GRE won't switch the plant between 6a and 9a or 4p-7p so they avoid blocking the crossing. A voluntary agreement would not violate the federal interstate commerce regulations and would be beneficial to both parties in my opinion.
I know the Treasurer and I'm sure it was just a comment like "I hope they don't switch during rush hour", no harm intended. FWIW, they have been going east mid morning on the days they run. They do "block" the crossing longer than a minute. The signals activate when they get close to M-21. They have been stopping on the south side of the road and then walking across the street to open the gate. The signals operate the entire time and the school buses and hazmats can't cross. This procedure was instituted after they slid thru the closed gate twice in a couple months. It's something like 3+ percent downhill.