Amtrak/NS plans from Kalamazoo east

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak/NS plans from Kalamazoo east

Unread post by bctrainfan »

I've read various info about the pissing match between Amtrak and NS over maintenance on NS track from Kalamazoo east to Detroit. Clearly NS's speed limits have been a disaster for Amtrak's schedule, often running more than 3 hours late as they pass through Battle Creek. Today, however, I saw piles of new ties laid along side the single track line west of Battle Creek toward Kalamazoo....when I have a moment I will check and see if this extends all the way to K'zoo. Anyway, anybody know if Amtrak/NS have made some agreement to upgrade the line? A related question: Will Amtrak buy the line outright for highspeed rail, and if so, who might take over the freight customers? Maybe GDLK or JAIL?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Amtrak/NS plans from Kalamazoo east

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I thought Amtrak bought it already or was just about to?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

The NS has been doing upgrades east of jackson as well, must be some of the stimulus money going into effect

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Rumor was that Amtrak was going to buy it, but dont think anything official has happened yet

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

State of Michigan is also somewhere in this mess too. Snyder didn't kill the high speed rail idea like many of his opponents have said.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

The State of Michigan has received $41 milion to make repairs to the Michigan Line that NS ownes. This will bring the track speed up to 60 mph and get rid of the sloow orders.

The State is planning on purchasing the line from NS and this should be complete next year. NS will still retain the freight rights. When the State purchases the line other improvements will be made unless Congress or the President cut the money to Amtrak so that is where YOU come in.

Instead of sitting behind a computer WRITE your Congressman and tell them to suppoert and FUND Amtrak so we will have an alternative to the greedy oil companies and the airlines!

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

I kinda have to laugh at the track work right now. I know it's not permanent, but after NS did trackwork the speed restriction was lowered from 25 to 10 MPH in Ypsilanti.

Maybe they forgot how to fix track, and only know how to make it worse! :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

ConrailMan5 wrote:I kinda have to laugh at the track work right now. I know it's not permanent, but after NS did trackwork the speed restriction was lowered from 25 to 10 MPH in Ypsilanti.

Maybe they forgot how to fix track, and only know how to make it worse! :lol:
Maybe you arent aware but this is major trackwork they are doing...Ive heard numerous ballast trains going to Willow run from Toledo for staging as well as work trains plus gons with new ties on 38E.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Yeah, there are lots of track machines moving about

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

The line is worth 500 million. The State of Michigan and Amtrak don't have that. The only real way for this to happen is a lease agreement.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Is Amtrak/state paying a lease to NS now, and does anyone know how much if they do?

ALso a brief update, new ties along the line from west of Battle creek to Augusta, then a few here and there to Galesburg, track machine on one of the sidings near us lumber in BC....any word on when they will be working on it?

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

Amtrak is simply paying a mileage fee. This fee does not even come close to paying for the maintenance on this line. I've heard estimates that upgrading the crossings and the signal system for high speed would cost almost 250 million.

What people don't understand is that the track is worth nothing to NS. The fiber rights are what bring the line value.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Track work on the michigan line pays off.

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

after nearly a year of 25-30 mph speeds through ypsi, the restriction is lifted. Using my handy dandy 1975 Penn central timetable, I'm guessing 38E between MP 30 and MP 32 around 45 MPH.

It seems so fast.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

NS had work train in Battle Creek the last few days working west to Kalamazoo, they left BC today. Guessing they are done or nearly so.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The addition of fiber optic route(s) makes the $500 million value posted previously sound a bit more reasonable (no way they'd get a quarter that much just on rail assets & business potential). This would also lead me to believe that there may be a lease arrangement when all is said and done where NS maintains ownership of the right of way & fiber easements while, the new operating entity (be it Amtrak or the State of MI) would lease the rail portion from NS - much like what Rail America does with the former PRR main West of Crestline OH with CSX.
MaintainerGary wrote:Amtrak is simply paying a mileage fee. This fee does not even come close to paying for the maintenance on this line. I've heard estimates that upgrading the crossings and the signal system for high speed would cost almost 250 million.

What people don't understand is that the track is worth nothing to NS. The fiber rights are what bring the line value.