New Unit for MMRR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: New Unit for MMRR

Unread post by AARR »

Hugh wrote:Do I understand correctly, this unit is going to Muskegon? Is it as a replacement or an addation to whats already there.
My understnading is they are going to the Alma line
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

AARR wrote:
Hugh wrote:Do I understand correctly, this unit is going to Muskegon? Is it as a replacement or an addation to whats already there.
My understnading is they are going to the Alma line
All the info is right here in this thread. It doesn't really leave anything to be desired. KRR 3801 is going to Muskegon and KRR 3803 is going to Alma. Only thing that isn't stated is whether or not 3801 will replace anything in Muskegon. MMRR 179 is no longer in Muskegon so you could consider this its replacement. As far as 3803 in Alma, this will spell the end of MMRR borrowing HESR's power as they will finally have their "own" engine.

GHRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GHRailFan »

Both new units have been sitting outside at Henry St in Muskegon for a while now.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GHSignalMaintainer wrote:Both new units have been sitting outside at Henry St in Muskegon for a while now.
So much for the accuracy of our informant :P
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Both units were delivered to Muskegon and need lots of work. The were affectionately referred to by my source as "our new junk" The 179 was sold to the Otter Tail Valley and the 180 is out of service with heavy freeze damage. Can't remember if it's for sale or sold but they don't intend to repair it. Used loco market is tight so they got "the new junk".

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Raildudes dad wrote:Both units were delivered to Muskegon and need lots of work. The were affectionately referred to by my source as "our new junk" The 179 was sold to the Otter Tail Valley and the 180 is out of service with heavy freeze damage. Can't remember if it's for sale or sold but they don't intend to repair it. Used loco market is tight so they got "the new junk".
Is MS power short? They have three 38's IIRC. Or is that where the units will be put back into working order before being sent to other RA lines in MI?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

They arent power short, per se...on top of the 3 GP38s they have, they also have returned to service thier SW1200 73. They can get away with 3 units, ideally. They only need two most days but the third one comes in handy when they've got a big slug of a train leaving town or when one of the other units is down for a quarterly or other maintenance. So if they've got one down with mechanical problems, one in for a quarterly, that only leaves them with 1 GP38 and an SW1200 that isn't going to be much help pulling the hill. I could see them needing one more "road" unit, two would seem to be overkill unless they expect a lot more sand coming from the new Nugent pit. If that was the case, they should've gotten rid of one of the 38s they have, and gotten 2 SD40-2s...

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

we been hearing at the railroad that ms was looking for more power for a future unit train of sand to start when the new sand pit is up and running. we will see.

rob