Newbie seeks advice of wise old owls :)

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Newbie seeks advice of wise old owls :)

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Since I can see that there is plenty of knowledge and experience on these boards, thought I would ask some questions and seek some advice. I am pretty new to the whole railfan and railroad modelling business. Theoretically in the next year I would like to get started on an HO layout, something simple, around 4'x8', freelance, modern era, maybe a small town with some industries to offer some operating/switching opportunities. If things work out, maybe be able to incorporate it into a larger layout. Would like things to come out looking good, but am not a rivet-counter. Have a limited budget and limited time (who doesn't, right!) Anyway, with that stuff in mind, now comes the advice part:

What kind of track (brand, code, etc)?
What brands for motive power ( balance of economy, reliability, looks)?
Same for rolling stock...
Same for structures....
Probably want a DCC system, whats a good starter system?
Minimum curve radius?
scenery base (plaster, styrofoam, etc)?
A good basic airbrush?
Some good beginners books, track plans?

There, maybe that will start a little debating amongst you guys! :P
And thanks in advance for the help! :)

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Newbie seeks advice of wise old owls :)

Unread post by Old Hogger »

bctrainfan wrote:

What kind of track (brand, code, etc)? ----------------------------------------Atlas code83
What brands for motive power ( balance of economy, reliability, looks)?---Atlas
Same for structures....
Probably want a DCC system, whats a good starter system?-----------------NCE Power Cab
Minimum curve radius? ----------------------------------------------------------As big as you can make it in your space
scenery base (plaster, styrofoam, etc)?-----------------------------------------Either, whichever you are comfortable with
A good basic airbrush?
Some good beginners books, track plans?--------------------------------------Track Planning for Realistic Operations

There, maybe that will start a little debating amongst you guys! :P
And thanks in advance for the help! :)

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

You will be getting many various responses to the questions. I will start with what I go with.

I run Code 100 Atlas, but would recommend Code 83 on mainline and 55 in sidings.

I run Athearn locomotives, although Atlas makes some nice one also (make sure they are Silver or Gold series though)

Rolling stock, I use alot of Athearn as well. But, I shop for deals on eBay alot for more than just Athearn.

Structures, if you are looking for kits, I would recommend Walthers Cornerstone line.

DCC...toughy...I shopped and read alot of info on many systems. In the end, I went with MRC, mostly because I have been using their stuff for many many years and always been happy with them. I opted though not to buy a "starter" system. I went right to the wireless system. And I am very happy I did.

Minimum radius, well. I run 22 and 24 in radius on my main lines. Most people with larger layouts run larger. I also use the atlas 22"radius snap track, then use that as a guide to use flex track for the outer line.

Scenery base, my benchwork is made of 1x4s framed with 2' spacing on my supports. I then put right on top of the benchwork a 1 3/4" extruded foam base. The thickness gives very good support and rigidity to the layout. This also allows you to cut into the base if you want to put in a low spot (like a pond or river). You can also glue more under the main base and go deeper. Using a plywood base then styrofoam restricts or requires preplanning for deep cuts.

As for books and such, Hogger is spot on with his suggestion. Also, Model Railroader has a great line of addition books from wiring to weathering to structures and much more.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

bctrainfan wrote:Some good beginners books, track plans?
Very highly recommend this one:

http://www.kalmbachstore.com/12121.html
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

for dcc i would look at nce they got a starter system that can be upgraded if you want to expand the layout. most of the others you must sell the system and buy new for that. if you wanted to try nce out and live in the grand rapids area stop by my club at hobby world ( www.trainwed.org/wmmrrc ) we are open tuesday night 7-9

Rob

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

For DCC, Digitrax or NCE systems are great, can't go wrong with either.

For track, Atlas Code 83 flex track.

For locomotives, anything from Atlas, Kato, Proto 2000 and Athearn RTR or Genesis is the best of the best.

For Rolling Stock, Athearn RTR or Genesis, Walthers, Exactrail, Red Caboose, Atlas or Tangent.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

Falls Mill RR -- Shortline as an HO 4X8 :idea: http://www.layoutvision.com/id48.html
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

What kind of track (brand, code, etc)?
What brands for motive power ( balance of economy, reliability, looks)?
Same for structures....
Probably want a DCC system, whats a good starter system?
Minimum curve radius?
scenery base (plaster, styrofoam, etc)?
A good basic airbrush?
1- Atlas Code 83. Unless you are doing a heavy track mainline in a more current era then code 100.
2- Athearn Blue Box (if you can find them) are reliable and can be easily converted to DCC from analog DC with some minor soldering. Otherwise Athearn Genesis or Atlas.
3- Same
4- Depends on what your again trying to do era wise. The DPM kits aren't too bad, but there are becoming many more "Built-ups" on the market as of late. Walthers also has some excellent kits, such as their new roundouse I am building.
5- DCC I would go with NCE, but stay away from Digitrax on a large layout as you will need a few boosters. If you want a cheaper beginners system I have been looking into Bachmann's "Easy DCC"
6- As big as you can make it, especially if you are running steam or passenger trains
7-Scenery. Once again, depends on the road, locale
8- I am looking into the new Testor's airbrush kit that hooks up to their canned air. The new one comes with a seperate gun instead of tying straight onto the propellant can. Looks to be much more user friendly and with the 40% off coupon online at Hobby Lobby it brings the price down from $26 to $15.
9- 101 Track Plans by Linn Wescott, and Small Smart and Practical Track Plans by Ian Rice.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

As someone who has operated on layouts up here with Digitrax, Lenz, and Easydcc, I would go with Easydcc if I was building a layout and wanted a DCC system that was simple and easy to use.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

I was wondering about the Bachmann EZ DCC, since you can find it pretty cheap, so it sounds like it works pretty well from what y'all have said so far. Great advice, keep it coming! 8)

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

The bachman EZ DCC is easy to find and it works well so long as you don't want to do a lot with it, its not much more than a glorified DC Power pack. I personally would use Digitrax or NCE for DCC its a little more expensive but its a lot more versatile. I would use Atlas or Athearn Genesis engines, Rolling stock can really be anything you want though I buy pretty much only Walthers, Athearn RTR, Atlas, Athearn Genesis, Intermountain, Red Caboose, and Exactrail. Best track out there is Atlas code 83.

bjett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bjett »

If you have a fairly large Library near by check it out. Our library has several Model RR books and videos on "how to". Some go back to some old time stuff but with some imagination you can bring it up to date. bjett

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Before you rush towards the 4'x8' sheet of plywood, please, Please do read the following:

http://shelflayouts.com/blog.htm

Then after being fully informed decide upon your new layout footprint and theme. The Armstrong book, while a cornerstone of the hobby's early push towards realistic design and operation, is showing it's age a bit. Lance's approach - K.I.S.S. - is better for the beginner as well as the expert modelers, especially in this day and age.

After you've poured over his sites, then seriously consider purchasing some or all four of his books. I have them all, and learned much on how to build a better design and at a lower cost - both in time and money.

Good luck!
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I have to agree on the shelf style. my layout is no more than 2 foot deep at the widest portion. I use to be attached to the 4x8 layouts. My most recent is more along the line of the shelf. I won't be going back to the table style.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Also to the OP, read another customer layout designer's treatse on why to avoid the 4x8:

http://www.layoutvision.com/id28.html

Visit the ldsig.org website for more info on layout design alternatives, and why many times a shelf layout beats the plywood island hands-down. Even if you eventually decide on that tight-radius island layout, at least you've seen what else you can do in the space.

Good luck!
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.