Amtrak train hits car in Galien, MI: driver, pizza OK.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak train hits car in Galien, MI: driver, pizza OK.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

MQT3001 wrote:But really, here we go again! You already know what I have to say about train-car & train-pedestrian accidents--Usually the car or person's dumb decision
Probably the car's bad decision. :D
Jochs wrote:Of course! If the pizza is not there w/in 30 minutes it's free. They have to get the pizza there on time or it costs them.
I have not seen a pizza joint with a real 30 minute guarantee in well over a decade. They stopped the guarantees because of the problems with drivers trying to beat the clock and ending up getting hurt (and not delivering the pizza in the process). The worst penalty now for "late" delivery is giving the driver a bad tip or refusing the order - not free pizza.

On a night like Thanksgiving eve (when people are often preparing the next day's dinner and want something simple they don't have to cook) no pizza joint would be stupid enough to guarantee a 30 minute delivery ... one would be more likely to get an hour estimated delivery, and no guarantee on that, during the peak ordering hours.

The lack of a guarantee doesn't stop some drivers from pushing the limits. The more pie they deliver the more money they make. Unfortunately many people who deliver don't have the best cars or a lot of experience behind the wheel so one ends up with a bad combination of negative factors.

BTW: I've had the GPS tell me to do stupid things. Fortunately I drove for 25 years before owning a GPS so I rely more on my experience than the little dashboard box. I'm also at a point in my life where I don't have to deliver pizzas to make money.

GHRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GHRailFan »

Doktor No wrote:The GPS is reliable. BUT the operator has to have a BRAIN. You obviously don't turn onto railroad tracks fer crips sakes! Besides who lives on railroad tracks that needs a pizza?
Actually, now that you ask that question....

I have had Jimmy Johns and Jets Pizza deliver to me while I was out on the tracks working.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

i've known MQT to order pizza to the Turner ST crossing every now and again.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

amtrak1007 wrote:i've known MQT to order pizza to the Turner ST crossing every now and again.
What else is there to do when CSX makes you wait for 6hours to get a clear signal? I've seen them wait 9 hours before
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

MQT3001 wrote:
amtrak1007 wrote:i've known MQT to order pizza to the Turner ST crossing every now and again.
What else is there to do when CSX makes you wait for 6hours to get a clear signal? I've seen them wait 9 hours before
The train might be there, but I can almost guarantee that there is nobody home...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

amtrak1007 wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
The train might be there, but I can almost guarantee that there is nobody home...
Right, if you see Z151 sitting at Turner for 9 hours, no ones on it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Conrail Jon wrote:Right, if you see Z151 sitting at Turner for 9 hours, no ones on it.
Saw somone on it, about 2 hours before it got clearance
I know they waited at Godfrey for 4 hours to wait for GDLK to clear out of the GRE Yard
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

MQT3001 wrote:
Conrail Jon wrote:Right, if you see Z151 sitting at Turner for 9 hours, no ones on it.
Saw somone on it, about 2 hours before it got clearance
I know they waited at Godfrey for 4 hours to wait for GDLK to clear out of the GRE Yard
Hmm..it seems like this thread has been derailed :lol:
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1