Historic Find:1914 Wreck at Trout Lake Michigan

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Historic Find:1914 Wreck at Trout Lake Michigan

Unread post by Larry G »

While doing some historical research today on another topic I stumbled on this story and thought others who enjoy railroad history in MI would enjoy too. Sorry if it has been told before. Larry

In 1914, David Watt was involved in a very serious train accident at the Trout Lake Station in the Upper Penisula of Michigan. The Soo Line and the DSS&A tracks crossed at right angles, right at the Trout Lake Station. The trains were supposed to stop 400 feet short of the crossing and blow the whistle four times. David did this, but the other train didn't stop. After he had started up again, he saw the other train and tried to stop in time. When he realized he couldn't make it, he told the fireman to jump out. The fireman did, urging David to jump, too. David didn't jump, he stayed with the train and tried to stop it by applying the brakes. The cab of David's train was hit by the other engine.David Watt had been urged to jump from his train engine after a train on the Soo Line failed to stop at the crossing intersecting the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic line. David's train was hit by the other engine and David was badly injured. He was pinned in the overturned engine and his face and head were burned by steam and live coals from the firebox of the train. David's son, Burton, reported that his dad lay there about 20 minutes until the fireman realized that David must still be in the engine. An unknown salesman soaked his coat in water, put it over his head, and went into the engine and got David out, saving his life. The family was never able to identify the man who saved David's life. David recovered from his injuries, but lost his left ear due to the accident.

http://journeytothepastblog.blogspot.co ... -watt.html First Link on Watt
http://journeytothepastblog.blogspot.co ... tinued.htm direct link to the accident
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Historic Find:1914 Wreck at Trout Lake Michigan

Unread post by Saturnalia »

neat find. I always injoy a good story of a train wreck, but its sad when someone dies.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Historic Find:1914 Wreck at Trout Lake Michigan

Unread post by J T »

Larry G wrote:While doing some historical research today on another topic I stumbled on this story and thought others who enjoy railroad history in MI would enjoy too. Sorry if it has been told before. Larry

In 1914, David Watt was involved in a very serious train accident at the Trout Lake Station in the Upper Penisula of Michigan. The Soo Line and the DSS&A tracks crossed at right angles, right at the Trout Lake Station.
According to a book I have on Michigan Rail Disaster between 1900-1940 (which doesn't have this wreck listed), another one happened in Trout Lake on August 7, 1912. Trying to find more info on it right now and will post more if I can.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.