New Athearn's

Model railroading in all scales and gauges. HO talk welcome :)
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

New Athearn's

Unread post by GLC 392 »

New to the Genesis line are GP38-2's, first run are CN GP38-2lw's!!! MP, SP and southern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5F7TnnHA4

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Athearn's

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

GLC 392 wrote:New to the Genesis line are GP38-2's, first run are CN GP38-2lw's!!! MP, SP and southern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5F7TnnHA4
That CN Geep 38-2 looks good might have to save my pennies and get one of them
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

I gotta say... I was disappointed about all the hype they created just for this. I was hoping for something better and more modern. However, that CN unit is looking pretty cool. I won't be buying one anytime soon though. They're $180 for a non DCC unit... Overpriced as usual from Athearn.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Dude, we've needed a GOOD, QUALITY GP38-2 for longer than SD70ACe's and Gevo's have even been around. Be patient, modern versions are in the works (with ditch lights!)
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

SD80MAC wrote:Dude, we've needed a GOOD, QUALITY GP38-2 for longer than SD70ACe's and Gevo's have even been around. Be patient, modern versions are in the works (with ditch lights!)
I'll admit, the whole geep series Athearn is starting is pretty interesting, but I have a feeling that the rest of the engines in this series will be overpriced. I mean really, $180 for a GP38 that's not even DCC? I think they need to recheck their prices...
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

telus6429
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by telus6429 »

Michigan Railfan wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Dude, we've needed a GOOD, QUALITY GP38-2 for longer than SD70ACe's and Gevo's have even been around. Be patient, modern versions are in the works (with ditch lights!)
I'll admit, the whole geep series Athearn is starting is pretty interesting, but I have a feeling that the rest of the engines in this series will be overpriced. I mean really, $180 for a GP38 that's not even DCC? I think they need to recheck their prices...
Well for a GP40-2W for, Atlas was the same price for non DCC... Lots of great products coming out at around that price, and its not going to get any cheaper. The price of items going up, and production is getting expensive now from China, and more factories are closing over there. The next thing is we are going to be paying more and more for some of our items...
Telus6429
Ian
Windsor, Ontario
http://www.trainweb.org/swontariotrain/

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

I'll echo most of you guys here. I think that the price of new models has reached the point of being profane. Come on now, a molded piece of plastic made in China!!!??? Sure, they are more detailed than the older models, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I can justify paying $200.00 for an HO scale non-dcc-sound equipped diesel. You want to get real nuts? Look at the Athearn UP gas turbine prices. Not too long ago you could get a real nice Atlas diesel for around 50-75 bucks. Sure, no DCC or sound, but most of your die-hard DCC-sound guys like to put in their own systems anyway.
At the end of the day, I would guess (yes,GUESS I could be wrong), that these "$200.00" models cost the manufactures closer to $20.00 to have made for them, if that. And then they wonder why model railroading is a dying hobby.... Instead of trying to make all their yearly profit on just a few sales, they should bring prices back to a reasonable level so more people can afford to buy their products, and that way the hobby can grow, not shrink. I think Irv. Athearn would be spinning in his grave if he could see what has happened to his company.The company he founded on the idea of affordable models for everyone, kind of like Henry Ford and the model "T". Unfortunately though, in todays "corporate mentality", Instant profits are the only thing that matters. They don't think about the "Big-Picture" anymore. At this rate in another 10-20 years there will be no more than a very few, very rich, model railroaders to support their business. At that point I think we can write the obituary for Walthers Inc. And most of the rest of the model railroad businesses in this country.

Just my opinion..
Todd

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

If you think model railroading is a dying hobby, you haven't seen the DROVES of little foamers showing off their newly purchased $175 Athearn SD70's on youtube. I think we're just fine, for better or worse...
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Hugh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hugh »

Interesting, but to new for me.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

You're not going to see prices fall with the cost of goods going up. These prices will be the norm now if you want the newest ready to run locos. Also, just like any business, they will price them according to what the market will bear.

I really wish we could go back to the days of buying a kit and then the detailing and all the extras were stuff that the modeler would do themselves. There are still a few companies out there that offer the modeler a loco that's closer to kit form but they are few and far between.

It's the same for rolling stock too, I mean, we're now looking at $40-$50 (and sometimes more) rail cars when you used to get them for $20 or less. Sure you might have had to add details but that was the fun part. It's really expensive if you want to build a decent sized collection of rolling stock.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

conrailmike wrote:when you used to get them for $20 or less
I remember paying $5-10 for blue boxes, and I thought that was high.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AC60CW wrote:
Ok, now factor in the cost to get that blue box detailed to the level of a Genesis line locomotive, or any of the other recent releases. I used to have a whole disk of engines with the appropriate detail parts typed out, and their cost. Rail Power Products, for example, needed well over $100 in detail parts to make it look 'good'. That's not factoring in the cost of the shells, underframe, and then all the necessary parts of the running mechanism. Plus, you're getting a factory paint job that blows most custom painters out of the water.

So, factoring in inflation, $150 for a Rail Power Products Shell, Detail parts, etc. (in 1990's dollars) plus time to put it all together, or $180 for a brand new, top of the line, highly detailed, locomotive ready to go out of the box. Which is the better deal?

Practice Safe CSX

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

CSX_CO wrote:
AC60CW wrote:
Ok, now factor in the cost to get that blue box detailed to the level of a Genesis line locomotive, or any of the other recent releases. I used to have a whole disk of engines with the appropriate detail parts typed out, and their cost. Rail Power Products, for example, needed well over $100 in detail parts to make it look 'good'. That's not factoring in the cost of the shells, underframe, and then all the necessary parts of the running mechanism. Plus, you're getting a factory paint job that blows most custom painters out of the water.

So, factoring in inflation, $150 for a Rail Power Products Shell, Detail parts, etc. (in 1990's dollars) plus time to put it all together, or $180 for a brand new, top of the line, highly detailed, locomotive ready to go out of the box. Which is the better deal?

Practice Safe CSX
I'd rather do the detailing myself.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Might have something to do with our worthless dollar too. China is sitting on a mountain of worthless green ink stained paper already. Most people don't pay any attention to the decline in the dollar. But as it becomes worth less, it takes more of them to buy anything, oil or toys. We are seeing the results of the Feds cranking up the printing presses to warp speed.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

legostudios34
The Lego Railfan

Unread post by legostudios34 »

I'd love to get one of the Southern ones to run with my Athearn SOU Highhood SD40-2.
Baxter Barnes. 21. Alabama.
Meow. Now you know how to speak cat. -Flickr