Breaking News:Amtrak Accident in Eaton County

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Breaking News:Amtrak Accident in Eaton County

Unread post by J T »

Raildudes dad wrote:Double gates have not been installed because of the potential for a vehicle to be trapped between the 2 gates. That's why they use the barrier to keep a vehicle from going around the lowered gate.
Right, because people would rather get hit by a train than drive through a flimsy piece of wood. :lol:

People are going to be idiots regardless of what type of gate is there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Raildudes dad wrote:Double gates have not been installed because of the potential for a vehicle to be trapped between the 2 gates. That's why they use the barrier to keep a vehicle from going around the lowered gate.
and they cost like $200,000. the pylons that were installed at denton road were only about $60,000 and are just as if not more effective then double gates. basically double the gates double the price. also the way railroads do silent grade crossings with dividors probably works pretty well and is also cheaper

but i'm sure someone has tried to go around them
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Do you recall passing a WB CN empty coal train after Battle Creek and before that?

Hogger1225 wrote:OK, here 's the long version.

Here is my recollection of what happened last night, 02/16/12, approximately 9:10-9:15 pm.

I was riding train #364, Eastbound, from Chicago to East Lansing. I was riding in the third coach from the lead unit. . :D
Last edited by A No.1 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark it Zero.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
and they cost like $200,000. the pylons that were installed at denton road were only about $60,000 and are just as if not more effective then double gates. basically double the gates double the price. also the way railroads do silent grade crossings with dividors probably works pretty well and is also cheaper
A mechanical arm with a long flimsy piece of wood costs $200,000? Oh, wait...they aren't even wood any more, are they? Fiberglass?
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It's not so much the gate (which are fiberglass or plastic), it's the 3rd and 4th set of flashers that support the gate. On most of the 4 quadrent gates I've seen, there's crossbucks and flashers on each corner of the crossing, each with a gate. Seems like you could just have a gate on it's own mount without lights, but who knows.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

SD80MAC wrote:It's not so much the gate (which are fiberglass or plastic), it's the 3rd and 4th set of flashers that support the gate. On most of the 4 quadrent gates I've seen, there's crossbucks and flashers on each corner of the crossing, each with a gate. Seems like you could just have a gate on it's own mount without lights, but who knows.
lets not forget wireing and what not... and the quote form trains april 2011
...ducing the systme cost-effectivly... $50,000 to $60,000... By contrast adding four quadrent gates to a grade crossing boost the cost by an estimate of $250,00 or more, not including the cost of highway lane dividers
this was talking about denton road corssing with the pylons
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Instead of 4-quadrant flashers/gates, in California, they put concrete medians in the crossing from about 50-75 feet out before the gates, thereby preventing many of the people waiting at the gates from swinging into the opposing traffic side to go around. NOW, YES, idiots can back up, or those waiting well back from the gates could come up at some distance on the opposing traffic side to cross, but honestly, at the speed of 110mph, the train probably clears the crossing in about 6 seconds, giving basically no time to make such a maneuver. Concrete curbs or barriers are much cheaper than 4-quad activation devices and bridges/underpasses. These might not make sense for the most rural crossings in the country, but given the narrow nature of such roads, gates could probably be extended to cross the full width of the road, which of course would not stop anyone, but might eliminate some of the temptation to "go around" the gates, if there is no room to do so. I'm sorry for the loss of life and for the experience of the crew, but I'm glad no one else was injured.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:Seems like you could just have a gate on it's own mount without lights, but who knows.
Yeah, that's what I was picturing as well. Wiring must cost a fortune, though. :wink:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote:Instead of 4-quadrant flashers/gates, in California, they put concrete medians in the crossing from about 50-75 feet out before the gates, thereby preventing many of the people waiting at the gates from swinging into the opposing traffic side to go around.
That would probably make the most sense and definitely be the most cost effective. There's no reason why they couldn't drop a row of those concrete construction dividers between the two traffic lanes approaching the crossing from Lansing Rd.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

You will never see 110MPH Amtrak on the CN...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

There should be a way to simply use the nmal gate design but make then long enough to cover the whole road, unless this problematic crossing exceeds four lanes. Fuller Ave in GR has a gate four lanes wide, this to cover the two NB lanes and the turn lanes. Thereby, you could make longer gates, adding more counterweights so the motor would still work. The K rails work in many situations, but in places with a curb cut near trackside, that prevents left hand turns, hence the crossing design near yipsi.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

All crossing protection has to meet the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, approved by the Federal Highway Administration. FHWA is not going to approve any double gates that have the potential to trap a vehicle between 2 gates. Yes they are only fiberglass and can be easily driven thru but motorists will panic, stop, and then get hit :(

Barriers in the road become a hazard in themselves that why the barriers can usually be driven over w/o inflicting much damage to a vehicle.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Crossings with this sort of configuration exist on US30 in Indiana. One for the former C&O at Hanna, and the other for the former NS at Plymouth. Now if this equipent is available yet today from the manfacturers or not. I do not know.

SD80MAC wrote:It's not so much the gate (which are fiberglass or plastic), it's the 3rd and 4th set of flashers that support the gate. On most of the 4 quadrent gates I've seen, there's crossbucks and flashers on each corner of the crossing, each with a gate. Seems like you could just have a gate on it's own mount without lights, but who knows.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

"Picture of the famous Siren or Screaming crossing as the locals around here used to call it. This device had neon lights and an air-raid siren that could be heard all over Grenada. This device was developed by W.A. Billups, a Grenada native. This crossing had numerous deadly accidents, one of which was someone in his family and thus inspired him to create this unique warning device. Mr.Billups tried to market his invention but the idea never took off and to my knowledge, this was the only one ever built. The device was installed in 1940 and lasted untill 1970. The crossing is still here but all that remains of this device is the concrete blocks that supported it. Picture was taken sometime in 1940."

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1675680 Link to article and pictures

There is always another type that could be resurrected......................... :roll:
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Very unique indeed.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

MQT3001 wrote:Very unique indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhFHKtDhns Link Here

Here is a computer generated animation of how this crossing signal worked!!! Check it out by clicking on link above.

"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Raildudes dad wrote:FHWA is not going to approve any double gates that have the potential to trap a vehicle between 2 gates. Yes they are only fiberglass and can be easily driven thru but motorists will panic, stop, and then get hit :(
It amazes me that people would panic to the extent that they'd rather have a train destroy them and their car instead of getting a few scratches on their car by driving through the gates.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Well, I know you passed it. Just wonder if you rember where.
A No.1 wrote:Do you recall passing a WB CN empty coal train after Battle Creek and before that?

Hogger1225 wrote:OK, here 's the long version.

Here is my recollection of what happened last night, 02/16/12, approximately 9:10-9:15 pm.

I was riding train #364, Eastbound, from Chicago to East Lansing. I was riding in the third coach from the lead unit. . :D
Mark it Zero.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Well, after we left Battle Creek I wasn't really paying attention to trains we passed or met, (if any). It was dark out, I was talking to the crew, may have walked back to get a coffee, ect. Didn't really start taking note to where I was until just past Potterville, and the rest is recent news.....
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!