RailAmerica buys Marquette

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: RailAmerica buys Marquette

Unread post by Saturnalia »

RA expects to close sometime in May :cry:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I wonder if 3001 will stay on exMQT lines or if it will travel around RA's rail system across the country.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

atrainguy60 wrote:I wonder if 3001 will stay on exMQT lines or if it will travel around RA's rail system across the country.
DON'T MENTION THE POSSIBILITY! :x :cry:

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Don't forget that the GLLX units are privately owned...not owned by the railroad itself, but an individual.

Guess it all depends on the terms of the agreement, whether they are included in the sale; will continue to be leased to MQT; or will be "returned to the lessor", aka "screw you, I'm taking my engines back!" If anything ventures out, it will be the 38-2s, but I doubt that - it's not like MQT really has any excess power. If anything, you may see some scrap RA power trickle in to cover if there are any breakdowns of current power.

Time will tell...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

I was just wondering that, since they officially own the railroad now. If they are going to return the GLLX engines and send some RA engines to do the work over there, or if they will keep them.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

atrainguy60 wrote:I was just wondering that, since they officially own the railroad now. If they are going to return the GLLX engines and send some RA engines to do the work over there, or if they will keep them.
no they will likely keep them. MQT has a good power/freight ratio, so at least for the time being, it will likely stay the same, but you guess at to when RA locos will show up is as good as mine.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Well that's good. I like 3001 a lot, even though I've never seen it in person.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

atrainguy60 wrote:Well that's good. I like 3001 a lot, even though I've never seen it in person.
I do believe that GLLX has very close ties to MQT as well. I'd say that unless something happens to any of the units, we shouldn't see any RA power at current traffic levels.

I'm gonna miss MQT :cry: . I just hope RA dosn't put a big ugly patch over the lettering on 3001 saying "Employee-Owned".

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Word is that Marquette will remain a seperate entity from RA with it's own management team, kind of like what they did with FEC a while back. It won't be integrated with GRE, MMRR or MS.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

SD80MAC wrote:Word is that Marquette will remain a seperate entity from RA with it's own management team, kind of like what they did with FEC a while back. It won't be integrated with GRE, MMRR or MS.
Great! Why mess up a railroad whose mamagement has obviously done a stellar job :D

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Does the acquisition mean that Marquette Rail now owns the track they operate on, or is it still only leased from CSX?

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Last edited by penn central on Sat May 05, 2012 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

By the way, the owner of Great Lakes is a member of rrfan. I'm sure he's probably chuckling reading this speculation about his locomotives. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Last edited by penn central on Sat May 05, 2012 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

J T wrote:By the way, the owner of Great Lakes is a member of rrfan. I'm sure he's probably chuckling reading this speculation about his locomotives. :D
All hail the Godfather.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I had dinner with Jack Bixby and Ken Livingston from RA and Rick Burn from the MRHS, Tuesday night before they spoke at the Muskegon Railroad Historical Society General Meeting. The MQT will be ran as a seperate operating unit with the current GM of MQT now being an Operations Manager with RA. When we first started chatting with Jack and Ken they knew that the sale was to close that day but really did not know when. Literally during dinner the press release come through that the sale has closed.
It sounds like for now, the MQT will be ran as it has been ran up until now. With so many vairiables with the agreements with CSX, the locomotive lessor and other interested parties it will be some time before any major changes are scene on the MQT.
Jack and Ken seemed to be very nice and answered all questions put to them by not only RIck and I at dinner, but the MRHS membership at the meeting. There where some questions they just did not know the answers to but again most of these where about future plans and operational changes that just have not been worked out yet by RA.
We are looking to have Jack and Ken back in 2013 for an update of RA if they are willing to come back.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I missed the meeting because the "other site" had the wrong date :roll:

amtrak1007

Raildudes dad wrote:I missed the meeting because the "other site" had the wrong date :roll:
You trust the "other site" to be correct?!?!?!?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

amtrak1007 wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:I missed the meeting because the "other site" had the wrong date :roll:
You trust the "other site" to be correct?!?!?!?
One would think a date posted incorrectly for 3-4 weeks would get corrected or mentioned on the board as being wrong............but I guess not :(

amtrak1007

MQT3001 wrote:Man this stinks. Anyone know how much will stay the same? MQT was such a good railroad......why sell? :cry:
Why else? To make $$$$$, everyone has their price.