Kalamazoo Amtrak Station

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Kalamazoo Amtrak Station

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

I might be going to Kalamazoo this weekend are you allowed to hang around the Amtrak Station? Any other areas worth checking out? Is there usually a lot or enough parking available down by the station? Most important is there a lot of thru train traffic in the area?
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Kalamazoo Amtrak Station

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

I'm going to Kalamazoo as well this weekend for a bowling tournament. Were gonna head over to the AirZoo, which sounds pretty fun for plane fanatics. An air show and museum of vintage planes.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Amtrak goes through Kalamazoo 6 times a day, 3 each way. I think there are 2 or 3 Grand Elk trains a day that go south out of the yard in eastern Kalamazoo to Elkhart. I'm not sure about how often GDLK trains go north to Grand Rapids. I don't think GDLK passes by the Amtrak station, but they should be visible to the east of the station when they turn south or cross the diamonds going to/from Grand Rapids.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

atrainguy60 wrote:Amtrak goes through Kalamazoo 6 times a day, 3 each way. I think there are 2 or 3 Grand Elk trains a day that go south out of the yard in eastern Kalamazoo to Elkhart. I'm not sure about how often GDLK trains go north to Grand Rapids. I don't think GDLK passes by the Amtrak station, but they should be visible to the east of the station when they turn south or cross the diamonds going to/from Grand Rapids. I don't know about the parking and hanging out at the station.
That'd be 4 each way (Blue Water joins @ Battle Creek :wink: )
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT3001 wrote:
atrainguy60 wrote:Amtrak goes through Kalamazoo 6 times a day, 3 each way. I think there are 2 or 3 Grand Elk trains a day that go south out of the yard in eastern Kalamazoo to Elkhart. I'm not sure about how often GDLK trains go north to Grand Rapids. I don't think GDLK passes by the Amtrak station, but they should be visible to the east of the station when they turn south or cross the diamonds going to/from Grand Rapids. I don't know about the parking and hanging out at the station.
No it's 6; 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, and 355.

Not sure if parking is affected by this but when trains stop they block one or two streets causing a real bottle neck by the station
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

The Blue Water doesn't switch from CN to NS in Battle Creek anymore?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

Not sure if parking is affected by this but when trains stop they block one or two streets causing a real bottle neck by the station
WRONG!

Old timetable (prior to this whole maintenance thing) was (all times EDT):
350: 11:00
351: 9:50
352: 15:43
353: 14:36
354: 21:32
355: 21:18
364: 19:42
365: 10:23
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

There is no problem hanging out at the Amtrak station as it is also the city bus terminal. There is a parking lot just west of the station that is metered. The sign by the entrance declares parking is limited to 2 hours. The parking meters indicate that Friday 5pm to Monday am is free parking. I parked there from 930 am to 8pm last Saturday with no problems.

GDLK crosses the NS/ Amtrak main just east of the station and in clear view from the platform.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Crow T Robot wrote:I might be going to Kalamazoo this weekend are you allowed to hang around the Amtrak Station?
You can hang out there...just watch your back.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT3001 wrote: WRONG!

Old timetable (prior to this whole maintenance thing) was (all times EDT):
350: 11:00
351: 9:50
352: 15:43
353: 14:36
354: 21:32
355: 21:18
364: 19:42
365: 10:23
ahh sorry MQT, had my stations all mixed up... for some reason in my mind it went Jackson-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek :oops:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

J T wrote:
Crow T Robot wrote:I might be going to Kalamazoo this weekend are you allowed to hang around the Amtrak Station?
You can hang out there...just watch your back.
Truly need to keep an eye out with the homeless shelter across the street from the depot. Theres usually a lot of people lingering around outside of it.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:

AND 364 and 365

Ok, already stated. Ive been working to much and Im Tired.
Mark it Zero.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

BO Tower and the Grand Elk diamonds are about 3 blocks east of the Amtrak station....I've made the walk between the two many times and have had no trouble with the locals, just mind your own business. The exercise is good too! No freight currently passes the depot, but pretty much any freight that comes through Kalamazoo does pass BO Tower. The Amtrak station is nice....beautifully restored, and with a nice wide platform. The vibe at a busy train station at train time is something which can't be found many other places. I usually park on Burdick Street, which runs along the east side of the station, if I'm just there for a quick photo, there are meters but I've never seen them checked. The lot across Rose to the west side is best if you plan to be there for more than about 3 minutes.

Have fun and let us know what you see!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote:I've made the walk between the two many times and have had no trouble with the locals, just mind your own business.
In other words, don't make any eye contact. :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Other than the above mentioned occasional wino type, I would feel pretty safe about hanging out at the Kalamazoo station. The BO tower is just east of the station. Also, GDLK's Gearhart Yard (ex-NS Botsford yard) is a short distance east, take E. Michigan Ave east from downtown and turn right on Mill St (right before the RR bridge over Michigan Ave) and go a block or two. Yard is on your left. I dont think anyone will object if you just pull into their parking lot for a couple pics, usually some of their power, MOW stuff and a caboose are right there. Obviously, though, i wouldn't be out of my car wandering around there or anything as that may bring up trespass/safety issues.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

I'm glad my hotel has free wi-fi :D If you're in Kalamazoo, google the address for Fat Tony's Bar & Grill. Just ate there a few hours ago, and it was one of the best burgers I've ever had. Pretty much right in downtown.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

6 Wolverines a day and 2 Blue Waters, I count 8.