Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

So, they worked the Van Wert Terminal last night accounting for the 4 covered hoppers upfront not on the Delphos video. Good catch. Heard them go through VW last night. Amazing how dark it got by the time they got to VW from Delphos. Another good set of vids.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Went through Delphos around 9pm and close to 10:30 by the time they passed through VW. Also tried out market street crossing this time for the night shot.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Maybe That guy can chip in on this, but I'm thinking the I&O deal with P&G with the Cincy to Lima traffic is supposed to average 10 to 15 cars a day. Not that it always moves that much at a time, but it seems to average about that over a week. I don't have any idea how much (if any) P&G traffic moves other than the I&O to Lima. I believe there's still some coming via CSX out of Cincy that gets handed over in Lima. Might be some coming via NS or the north end too. Never in Lima to see this, good thing we have an active follower of the CFE there now. :D
AARR wrote:
bnsf8000 wrote:Yes, that can be a typical cut of cars based on what I've seen. I'm sure it varies. It's a pretty nice sized plant.
Ity seems there were 20ish cars from P&G, pretty impressive.

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by That Guy »

Midland your about spot on with the traffic volumes, but it never happens that way. The cars always get bunched up or the I&O doesn't run a turn to Lima, etc. The CFE runs the P&G job 6 days a week with Sundays being the off day.

80% of the traffic comes from the I&O, 10% from CSX, 5% through the IHB, and the remaining 5% NS in Lima to the I&O to the CFE. The traffic is up and down all year. Beginning of new seasons are high volume as they switch products and scents. Last I knew there was talk of place going in a mile or 2 East of P&G that would be mixing chemicals for P&G and shuttling them back and forth in 2 10 car cuts.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:CF&E ran a LIFW Friday at 3 pm through Van Wert, 4 locomotives leading.
Would you happen to know where the hopper cars are going?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

I believe they have used the black open hoppers for ballast in the recent past. As far as the gray ones after them I don't think I've seen those before, but are also probably used for ballast.

Did the 4 units comeback on the EB turn? My friend Tom saw the WB like you. I'm just wondering if they left a couple of the units at the Fort or if they came back through later that day or night.

Another good catch! You're a heck of a fisherman. :D

There are 7 soda ash hoppers at the VW Terminal and 7 or so grain hoppers at the Scott Equity. They had 8 covered hoppers for CSP and I believe there are now still 4 or so at the elevator waiting their turn to go CSP.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I'm told that they left 3880 in FTW and switched it for 6415 on the return trip. lol I always compare my hobby to fishing!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

They use either National Stone and Lime's RJMX former Georgetown RR Ortner ballast cars or the black MELX stone cars from Melvin Stone. Both on the I&O. I going to guess those ANGX and HMJX cars came from the CIND and either storage or the DJJX repair shop @ Sunman, IN.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

7/23/12. WB LIFW at 10:37PM. In charge were IORY 4032/4036 and 87 cars. In the train were 71 covered hoppers: CSYX, BNGX, AEX, FURX, NOKL, FMLX, CITX and NDYX, 10 box cars: 4 CN, TTX, 6 MTY steel flats for SDI, 66 of the Bunge grain cars were in 1 cut. Saw it at the Wayne St. crossing in Van Wert.

PW

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

According to a post on the Indiana board, Mr. Tops said that northbound UP train MASIH delivered MNA 3898, an ex CSX/CR/PC GP38 that is waybilled to the CFE, so look for a new engine to show up in Van Wert soon.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Nice set of videos/pics of last nights LIFW. Heard it blast the horn through town. I like the Market St. crossing location for the one vid. Gives a little more lighting. The southside of the tracks at Market St. crossing may be good for video after it's completely dark. I see you like the Bunge backdrop for your vids in Delphos. I do too. 8) If you didn't know it was Bunge in Delphos it looks like it could be in any city with heavy industry. I think G&W orange could look pretty good in your videos in the future hopefully. 8) Now's the time to get the CF&E/ I&O units while their still in RA's red/gray. Be interesting what G&W chooses to keep and brings in.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

The bunge does make a good background, wish Decatur was on the mainline also. Another reason I choose that crossing is that it is on the edge of town so I can get ahead of the train by Middlepoint. Also being on the far side of town I get all the horn action leading up to its passing. I wonder how long it will be before G&W actually starts to paint, I'm not sure how many locos RA has but I'm guessing its a least 750-1000, that a lot of $$ to invest. I hope the last to be painted are the "heritage" paint, I still haven't caught an SP tunnel motor. Wish I had started filming when the FEC/CFE units were here. I used to watch them come to town, then one day I heard the train coming. I grabbed my wifes camera and took a few pics. Once I figured out how to use the video function I quickly got addicted.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

I'd say you'll probably have plenty of time to catch RA painted units. It's gonna take alot of time for G&W to repaint locos. As much as they will leverage in purchasing RA painting probably won't go quickly. Yea, it would be nice to have FEC 505/506 back. :cry: You do manage to stay in front of the LIFW. 8)

PW

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

A west bound in Ada just passed, about 5:30 on the dot. Had a red white and blue HLCX motor leading a CSX wide cab EMD, and then the locomotive in GT paint. The BN painted geep was was about 5 cars or so behind the leading motors, then there was a whole bunch of grain cars behind that. Weird setup, I imagine the local had got with a grain train. If the baby wasn't sleeping we would of went for pictures.
Last edited by CF&E East on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.