The new grand elk railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

The new grand elk railroad

Unread post by conrail7695 »

For throughts that keep up with the Grand Elk RR running from Elkhart "NS" yard to Kalamazoo..on the Kalamazoo branch..got some new stuff happening...frist off as of right now it is 12:36 and sitting here in my basement listen to my scanner..ARR channel 15 160.335 " Grand Elks channel" and the old dector at m.p.72.5 pops on and sez it's thing..402 axels no defects...not whats strange is from throughs of u that know what I am talking about this is an NS dector and for the last few years it have not been working properly for a wile now...but the dector cleared it self with out addressing who it belonge too...LASTLY past few weeks have saw a lot of m.o.w work on the grand elk rr and the work has ended for now and all of the m.o.w. machinery moved back north the the yard in k-zoo..shortly after this all happend saw a lot of suites walking up and down the line with hard hats and so on for like three days.

Mabey the Elk has full ownership of this line now??? one more thing the trains that do come threw never anounce there postions, control points or signals any more?..Just wondering of this has anything with the state of michigan DOT buying these lines in michigaN THE LAST FEW WEEKS??
THANKS M. SHIREY

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The new grand elk railroad

Unread post by railroadchoad »

Don't you just hate homonymns?
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

wait, what?

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Quite the spelling and grammar display in that first post........
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Grand Elk #501 clear "CP Cowling" south on the Kalamazoo Branch at 11:06 am

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Great.. u guys are spelling professors...great job!!! but I would like to see posts that mean somthing to the questions I asked not my down falls of not haveing " SPELLCHECK" in my computer to make u feel better about my post. PLEASE keep on topic or awsener my question if u can.
THANKS M. SHIREY

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I cannot answer what I do not understand.

Seriously people, learn to freakin' type.
Bottom text.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

conrail7695 wrote:Great.. u guys are spelling professors...great job!!! but I would like to see posts that mean somthing to the questions I asked not my down falls of not haveing " SPELLCHECK" in my computer to make u feel better about my post. PLEASE keep on topic or awsener my question if u can.
Basically we can't understand what exactly it is you're asking. Perhaps you could re-word it?

Are you wondering if Grand Elk has bought the line outright from NS now? Not likely. As for the detector now saying Grand Elk, they probably re-programmed it during all the work they were doing down there. Just because it now says Grand Elk, doesn't mean the line still isn't leased from NS.

As for the Michigan Line sale, the state and Amtrak bought everything from Kalamazoo east to somewhere near Wayne.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

SD80MAC wrote:
conrail7695 wrote:Great.. u guys are spelling professors...great job!!! but I would like to see posts that mean somthing to the questions I asked not my down falls of not haveing " SPELLCHECK" in my computer to make u feel better about my post. PLEASE keep on topic or awsener my question if u can.
Basically we can't understand what exactly it is you're asking. Perhaps you could re-word it?

Are you wondering if Grand Elk has bought the line outright from NS now? Not likely. As for the detector now saying Grand Elk, they probably re-programmed it during all the work they were doing down there. Just because it now says Grand Elk, doesn't mean the line still isn't leased from NS.

As for the Michigan Line sale, the state and Amtrak bought everything from Kalamazoo east to somewhere near Wayne.
Some 8 years into the MQT lease the detector in Bailey no longer says CSX in the transmission.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

well thats the thing..grand elk does not run channel 46-46 no more..have not heard them call NS detroit of kankakee in a week or so for a form-d or permission to run the line. The dector is not saying who it belongs to like the NS or other class one roads do..just axel count and clear.
THANKS M. SHIREY

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

[quote="CAT345C
Some 8 years into the MQT lease the detector in Bailey no longer says CSX in the transmission.[/quote]

CAT345C .....Heard it yesterday and didn't notice they said CSX, maybe its been changed too?
Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

That Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by That Guy »

Ok, heres the scoop on the Elk. They do not own the line. It's still leased for 99 years. But, per the lease Watco had to take over dispatching the line at a certain point and that point has arrived. Also they had to take over all the CTC. Sooooo for the last 2-3 months they have bee cutting over the CTC to the Watco dispatch center in Wichita, KS. All dispatching of the line, controlled switches, CTC, etc will be controlled from Kansas starting after the first of the year.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

:)
Last edited by J T on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I know his spelling & grammar is really bad, but cut him some slack.

From a thread a few months ago:
conrail7695 wrote:Sorry guys but my "caps botton" does not work some time...thanks for throughs of u that understand... :D and one more thing ,I try to spell the best I can with what I have left. Just to understand I took two blows to my head and has rattled me A bit wile serving in Iraq. Hard to do basic tasks and use my memroy....mike
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

That Guy wrote:Ok, heres the scoop on the Elk. They do not own the line. It's still leased for 99 years. But, per the lease Watco had to take over dispatching the line at a certain point and that point has arrived. Also they had to take over all the CTC. Sooooo for the last 2-3 months they have bee cutting over the CTC to the Watco dispatch center in Wichita, KS. All dispatching of the line, controlled switches, CTC, etc will be controlled from Kansas starting after the first of the year.
Does this affect the BO Tower in Kalamazoo or will BO still govern Grand Elk and Amtrak trains?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

Sorry for the snarky comment, Conrail. I just get so tired of people who have no excuse other than carelessness junking-up the internet with their poor grammar, spelling and punctuation. You on the other hand have as good as an excuse as anyone. You seem to have plenty left upstairs. Your analytical skills are not gone as you know well enough to know what you don't know as evidenced by the good questions you asked about the Grand Elk. That tells me that you have plenty going on. Keep asking questions. The day I stop asking questions is the day they put me in the ground. The more I learn the more I understand how much I don't know!

Conrail, it would also appear that you served our country in Iraq where you received your injuries. There are few, if any, on this board who have sacrificed in such a way and for that I am grateful. You have my gratitude and apologies.
Last edited by railroadchoad on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I was told last week by a very reliable source that the Watco lease had 16 years left on it (with a renewable clause). That tells me it is a 20 year lease based on an early 2009 startup.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Y@ wrote:I cannot answer what I do not understand.

Hogger1225 wrote:Quite the spelling and grammar display in that first post........
Have to remember some of the kids on this site haven't grown out of the drama queen mentality yet, exemplified by the above statements. Trust me, if they knew anything about the Grand Elk, they'd have demonstarted so, instead of hiding behind a computer to be wise@sses. Some are easily entertained though.
At any rate, had a chat with my nephew regarding the changes noted along the GDLK. What That Guy explained is correct, Grand Elk will be gaining independence from the NS Dearborn/Kankakee line dispatcher, and relying upon their own, based in Kansas. However, prior to what you've been hearing recently, they were operating occasionally on AAR 15 (160.335) while the bases along the line, at least in White Pigeon and Elkhart, where set up for narrowband on AAR 46. This will allow for grain trains from the Andersens to still communicate with NS Chicago East dispatcher from around the vicinity of CP14, for instructions to proceed toward Elkhart, etc.
Not really sure if 302 was functioning as a grain train today or not, but I did hear them on channel 46 working around CP16 and the Andersens, as I was westbound on A29 this morning. I'd hear them often on AAR46 when I was anywhere from Waterloo to South Bend on the Chicago Line, but I suppose that won't be the case anymore with the change.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

THANKS A LOT! IT MEANS SO MUCH..
railroadchoad wrote:Sorry for the snarky comment, Conrail. I just get so tired of people who have no excuse other than carelessness junking-up the internet with their poor grammar, spelling and punctuation. You on the other hand have as good as an excuse as anyone. You seem to have plenty left upstairs. Your analytical skills are not gone as you know well enough to know what you don't know as evidenced by the good questions you asked about the Grand Elk. That tells me that you have plenty going on. Keep asking questions. The day I stop asking questions is the day they put me in the ground. The more I learn the more I understand how much I don't know!

Conrail, it would also appear that you served our country in Iraq where you received your injuries. There are few, if any, on this board who have sacrificed in such a way and for that I am grateful. You have my gratitude and apologies.
THANKS M. SHIREY

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for explaning the drama queen illness with some of the folks here..but one needs not to judge someone till u know the shoes that have been worn. Like the other comment were I thanked the other fellow for post of a comment I post from a diffrent thred about my service in iraq...THANKS AGINN!!!

WELL..thank ur nephew for me please..it conferms what I have been seeing in the last two weeks. The changes are in effect now and could just see more. But the dector at 25.7, and the radio channel has changed. Waiting to see what more will happend. NOW THE QUESTION IS WHAT WILL BE THE FATE FOR BO TOWER..WHO WILL RUN THE SHOW ? Not only is there two diamonds in kalamazoo but u also have 120 m.p.h rail west of the diamonds and 90 m.p.h. to the east..
NSSD60M wrote:
Y@ wrote:I cannot answer what I do not understand.

Hogger1225 wrote:Quite the spelling and grammar display in that first post........
Have to remember some of the kids on this site haven't grown out of the drama queen mentality yet, exemplified by the above statements. Trust me, if they knew anything about the Grand Elk, they'd have demonstarted so, instead of hiding behind a computer to be wise@sses. Some are easily entertained though.
At any rate, had a chat with my nephew regarding the changes noted along the GDLK. What That Guy explained is correct, Grand Elk will be gaining independence from the NS Dearborn/Kankakee line dispatcher, and relying upon their own, based in Kansas. However, prior to what you've been hearing recently, they were operating occasionally on AAR 15 (160.335) while the bases along the line, at least in White Pigeon and Elkhart, where set up for narrowband on AAR 46. This will allow for grain trains from the Andersens to still communicate with NS Chicago East dispatcher from around the vicinity of CP14, for instructions to proceed toward Elkhart, etc.
Not really sure if 302 was functioning as a grain train today or not, but I did hear them on channel 46 working around CP16 and the Andersens, as I was westbound on A29 this morning. I'd hear them often on AAR46 when I was anywhere from Waterloo to South Bend on the Chicago Line, but I suppose that won't be the case anymore with the change.
THANKS M. SHIREY