Michigan shortline updates: January

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Re: Michigan shortline updates: January

Unread post by cnw8835 »

GDLK heading south out of GR at this time. Roughly around 36th St at 2129. No details, just hearing them working hard and blowing for crossings.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

cnw8835 wrote:GDLK heading south out of GR at this time. Roughly around 36th St at 2129. No details, just hearing them working hard and blowing for crossings.
"Down the street" from you and I heard that horn as well. Thought it was something on CSX on the Plymouth sub.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Today was interesting LSRC had a Z120 go to Flint this morning for power was the 800, 1164, and the 1162 he had 86 loads of grain, Coming back north he had the same power and 66 grain empty's, Then we had light power go to Paines to get a loaded grain train for power he had the 1179 and the 1171 he picked up 85 grain loads. I think he said Z117.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

penn central wrote:Then we had light power go to Paines to get a loaded grain train for power he had the 1179 and the 1171 he picked up 85 grain loads. I think he said Z117.
I am amazed at the tonnage ratings per engine between Paines and Saginaw. IIRC MMRR would pull 65 loaded covered hoppers from Hemlock, Wheeler, or Breckenridge to Paines with a single GP9.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

LSRC Northbound just cleared Blackmar. 1174, 1171, 1162, All [CSX] Grain cars. rather short one, too.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

HESR is at Durand. 2661 and 2668.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I heard GLC headed out of TVC at 1520. No id on locomotive or consist.

Edit: I wondered why the GLC was so late today. According to TV 9 & 10 in Cadillac, a train hit a trailer towed by a truck near Manton this morning. Information is here: http://www.9and10news.com/story/2059257 ... ord-county

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Standard Railfan wrote:Edit: I wondered why the GLC was so late today. According to TV 9 & 10 in Cadillac, a train hit a trailer towed by a truck near Manton this morning. Information is here: http://www.9and10news.com/story/2059257 ... ord-county
Is it just my imagination or does it seem GLC is involed in more road crossing accidents than the other railroads in MI :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote: Is it just my imagination or does it seem GLC is involed in more road crossing accidents than the other railroads in MI :?
It's that high speed GLC line...vehicles can't clear the tracks quick enough!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

About an hour ago or so, HESR 701, With the SD40-2s were ready to leave Durand with 43 Cars

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:Edit: I wondered why the GLC was so late today. According to TV 9 & 10 in Cadillac, a train hit a trailer towed by a truck near Manton this morning. Information is here: http://www.9and10news.com/story/2059257 ... ord-county
Is it just my imagination or does it seem GLC is involed in more road crossing accidents than the other railroads in MI :?
Let us look at the operating environment. Sparse population means most crossings are, for the most part, only protected by crossbucks (which should be sufficient for ANY crossing). Trains are short, infrequent, and irregular. The motoring public may travel across a given crossing hundreds of times and never see a train. Most people don't realize they are crossing an active track. Complacency soon takes over.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Z127 LSRC should have left south out of Saginaw by now noticed on the way home from work power is the 800, 1179, and the 1164, Didn't count the cars but it had a CSX HTM grain train on the head end.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

penn central wrote:Z127 LSRC should have left south out of Saginaw by now noticed on the way home from work power is the 800, 1179, and the 1164, Didn't count the cars but it had a CSX HTM grain train on the head end.
I Wonder if this is the grain train come north on Saturday? That train was only about 62 cars or so

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

LSRC has a grain train coming out of Saginaw, saw them about 15 minutes ago. Did not see the power.
EDIT, Power was 4302, 5921, 805, 63(if I counted correctly) grain loads, for CSX.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

HESR 2661 and HESR 9712 leaving Durand going north.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

GLC had 397-398-399-390, and 91 cars. Had a 80+ car NS Grain train, and misc freight.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC's Z127 is putting together his train in Saginaw to head south for power is the BNSF 9069, BNSF 6399, and LSRC 801 he is going to have a grain train on the head end i didn"t stick around to see how big he was going to be.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

AARR wrote:
I bet 385 was leading, too. :wink:
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

Z127 South at Blackmar, sounds like 801 leading

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

GLC 393 EB at 3 Mile Rd TVC w/ 1 loaded centerbeam at 1119